TEAM SHELBY FORUM

brake dust anyone?

h2odr

I have a white gt500 with only 176 miles. Too busy drooling over it rather than driving it. I seem to get alot of brake dust on the lower rear quarter panels. Is anyone else getting this? Does it go away as the brakes wear down? I do not belive it is tire shine. I haven't seen this on other vehicles i have had. It cleans right up when i wash it. thanks

I have a white gt500 with only 176 miles. Too busy drooling over it rather than driving it. I seem to get alot of brake dust on the lower rear quarter panels. Is anyone else getting this? Does it go away as the brakes wear down? I do not belive it is tire shine. I haven't seen this on other vehicles i have had. It cleans right up when i wash it. thanks

The brake dust on the GT500 is incredible. I've owned many cars, but I've never had one that produces this type of brake dust. It basically needs cleaned every time you drive the car.

HSURB

Has anyone changed their brake pads in order to correct the problem? I actually enjoy detailing my vehicles, but if you go for a short ride you should not have to clean the car all over again. Granted the white hides it well, but give me a brake.

My brother-in-law works in a high level position for the company that provides the friction material (brake pads) for the GT500. I asked him this question. As most car seen today have the same issues, it is due to the materials used in today's pads. With asbestos being no longer used, the materials used differ. However, in order to get the feel and braking needed for today's cars, pads are made to wear faster than they used to. Compound that with the fact that he GT500 has larger pads, larger area than normal, you will get more dust! If they sacrifice the dust problem by replacing the pads with denser materials, the car will loose it's stopping power. One of two things needs to give, the pads or the rotors, to achieve the best braking performance, both must give. The harder the pads, the less dust, but braking will suffer. As you can read almost in every article, the stock GT500 does a great job in braking tests.... that is due to the pads and materials used. Hope that makes sense!

If you wimps would just stop driving around with one foot on the brakes all the time like a bunch of old ladies and start using the accelerator more then you wouldn't have so much brake dust everywhere!

:superhero::hysterical:

But seriously on a long trip that crap gets all over the car. SVT should have put different brake pads on this car. Seems like it could be a warranty issue? I have owned Mustangs and other Fords before and have never had this problem to this degree.

Other guy posted in another Forum on this subject here and said he changed the pads out.

QUOTE(07 SHELBY @ Jul 26 2007, 08:43 PM)

Ati,

I put Porterfield brake pads on my Shelby at the beginning of winter.I live in Michigan so I have lots of time in the winter.I cannot tell you what a difference it makes.It takes about 300 miles of break in period but now 2,000 miles later I am dust free and lovin it.The dust of the OEM pads stick to the clearcoat on the wheels and the side of the car these do not.I posted the whole procedure on a different site months ago.I will get all the pictures together and post them tomorrow if I get a chance.It is the best mod I have done to the Shelby and I have done a few.For those of you that are interested I bought them at www.myroadster.net.Jerry is the the owner and very helpful.There is a $20.00 cleaning kit for your rotors,buy it, it is worth a million.It takes a little prep but the results are what everyone wants. Part # AP 1001 R4-S and part # AP 1082 R4-S.

If you wimps would just stop driving around with one foot on the brakes all the time like a bunch of old ladies and start using the accelerator more then you wouldn't have so much brake dust everywhere!

But seriously on a long trip that crap gets all over the car. SVT should have put different brake pads on this car. Seems like it could be a warranty issue? I have owned Mustangs and other Fords before and have never had this problem to this degree.

There is no warranty issue. The car is perfoming as designed. There are Porterfield pads and soon Hawk pads that will help this but those are on your nickel. I would like to know how either of these choices effect braking performance and feel.

There is no warranty issue. The car is perfoming as designed. There are PBR pads and soon Hawk pads that will help this but those are on your nickel. I would like to know how either of these choices effect braking performance and feel.

PBR pads? I didn't know Pabst Blue Ribbon made pads? Thanks dude I will check it out. Now you made me thirsty. Sorry but the stock pads suck. The mess is ridiculous. Shouldn't perform like that.

PBR pads? I didn't know Pabst Blue Ribbon made pads? Thanks dude I will check it out. Now you made me thirsty. Sorry but the stock pads suck. The mess is ridiculous. Shouldn't perform like that.

Sorry, that should have been Porterfield. PBR was the manufacturer of the brakes on the front of the 96 thru 2004 Cobras and many Vettes.

There is no warranty issue. The car is perfoming as designed. There are Porterfield pads and soon Hawk pads that will help this but those are on your nickel. I would like to know how either of these choices effect braking performance and feel.

Performance is great and no difference in feel. :happy feet:

:hysterical2: elbow grease for the rims (which involves a rag and light spray of rim cleaner,then wipe with another clean rag) and the body of the car (california duster-large size).works for me!!!! :doh: better than cleaning bird droppings or changing the brake pads. i dont mind the cleaning. :shift:

+1

:hysterical2: elbow grease for the rims (which involves a rag and light spray of rim cleaner,then wipe with another clean rag) and the body of the car (california duster-large size).works for me!!!! :doh: better than cleaning bird droppings or changing the brake pads. I don’t mind the cleaning. :shift:

+1

This is what is known as "Making a mountain out of a mole hill!"

However, in order to get the feel and braking needed for today's cars, pads are made to wear faster than they used to. Compound that with the fact that he GT500 has larger pads, larger area than normal, you will get more dust! If they sacrifice the dust problem by replacing the pads with denser materials, the car will loose it's stopping power. The harder the pads, the less dust, but braking will suffer. As you can read almost in every article, the stock GT500 does a great job in braking tests.... that is due to the pads and materials used.

+1 Great point!

Specially when talking about a car that weighs in at a whopping 3,920 lbs. (Chubby!) :blink:

My brother-in-law works in a high level position for the company that provides the friction material (brake pads) for the GT500. I asked him this question. As most car seen today have the same issues, it is due to the materials used in today's pads. With asbestos being no longer used, the materials used differ. However, in order to get the feel and braking needed for today's cars, pads are made to wear faster than they used to. Compound that with the fact that he GT500 has larger pads, larger area than normal, you will get more dust! If they sacrifice the dust problem by replacing the pads with denser materials, the car will loose it's stopping power. One of two things needs to give, the pads or the rotors, to achieve the best braking performance, both must give. The harder the pads, the less dust, but braking will suffer. As you can read almost in every article, the stock GT500 does a great job in braking tests.... that is due to the pads and materials used. Hope that makes sense!

Pads wear faster than they used to? I'd say today's brake pads last about twice as long as pads did in the '60s. I did brake work for a living 18 years ago...and still do on my own cars, for family and friends today.

Dave

Specially when talking about a car that weighs in at a whopping 3,920 lbs. (Chubby!) :blink:

Good guess on the weight. I had my car weighed w/ me and 1/2 tank of gas it was 3,920 lbs. :happy feet:

Don't be so hard on yourself Snoop. You're not Chubby, you're just big boned.

:hysterical2:

Pads wear faster than they used to? I'd say today's brake pads last about twice as long as pads did in the '60s. I did brake work for a living 18 years ago...and still do on my own cars, for family and friends today.

Dave

Yes, and No! Early pads were made from bad materials, as well brakeswere drum not disk. Along come disk brakes and new pads, including asbestos. Those pads were strong, actually wearing the metal on disk and drum before the pads... Then comes pads with more metallic material that latest longer again, but wore out metal and no pads! They reduced the metallic materials to eliminate the noise with them and moved on to todays pads. Along with todays stopping needs and braking power it brings us to the wear even pads, good feel, good performance, but dust! If you look around, almost ALL of todays pads have this issue, OEM pads that is. My brother has a Ferrari and his are horrible for dust, but they stop great. Yes, I know a little about this, but also my brother is a master mechanic and has owned his own place for 30 years. On top of that I have family in the friction material business.

End result, todays pad are what they are and dust will ALWAYS be an issue, the sacrifice made for the feel and performance required by the OEM. The after market pads WILL or CAN fix the dust issues, but cost and other factors will play a role.

I give the wheels a burst from air compressor when I come in and use ICE detailer on them and the panels to touch it up. Almost no effort is needed.

I give the wheels a burst from air compressor when I come in and use ICE detailer on them and the panels to touch it up. Almost no effort is needed.

+1...air compressor works great for quick "blow-offs." Probably as good as a cal duster. Just gotta make sure you do it outside and not in your garage :banghead:

Yes, and No! Early pads were made from bad materials, as well brakeswere drum not disk. Along come disk brakes and new pads, including asbestos. Those pads were strong, actually wearing the metal on disk and drum before the pads... Then comes pads with more metallic material that latest longer again, but wore out metal and no pads! They reduced the metallic materials to eliminate the noise with them and moved on to todays pads. Along with todays stopping needs and braking power it brings us to the wear even pads, good feel, good performance, but dust! If you look around, almost ALL of todays pads have this issue, OEM pads that is. My brother has a Ferrari and his are horrible for dust, but they stop great. Yes, I know a little about this, but also my brother is a master mechanic and has owned his own place for 30 years. On top of that I have family in the friction material business.

End result, todays pad are what they are and dust will ALWAYS be an issue, the sacrifice made for the feel and performance required by the OEM. The after market pads WILL or CAN fix the dust issues, but cost and other factors will play a role.

Thanks for clarifying...depends on time frame as you say.

+1 on your last paragraph.

The best way to keep brake dust from accumulating I've found is to NOT use the middle pedal. :shades:

This is deffinitely the best solutiion to the dust prob :happy feet: Also alot of coats of Zaino make it wipe right off with Z6 and a soft towel everytime you park the :snake:

Archived