TEAM SHELBY FORUM

A night on the town in Chicago (Mexico)

dgussin1

You just gave me my GT500 fix for the night. I really enjoyed that. I have been out of town and not been able to drive mine for 2 weeks.

I needed that. :happy feet:

Cool. :happy feet:

Thanks guys...lets keep it positive and I will continue to post more vids.

here is a story I wrote from last weeks outing (no camera)

The night started off around 6pm when I sent a text message to my buddy Carl (wicked03) to see what was going on tonight. We start texting back and forth for a couple hours and finally decide to meet up at the Streets of Woodfield. In the meantime I text Hank (hj16) to see what he is doing. He promptly responds “Do you know how I know you’re gay” So I responded “Because I have a rainbow bumper sticker on my car that says "I love it when balls are in my face". (Insert 40 year old virgin joke) Anyway, on a less gay note…Hank decides to roll with me, so I swing by his place around 9:45 PM and start to head out to Streets.

Just as we’re getting close to Streets, I see some Bavarian bait in the form of a brand new CL63 Mercedes. At the same time, Hank sees the same car and starts to point towards it. Before his hand gets to waste level, I’ve already downshifted to third and mashed the throttle, promptly throwing the unexpected Hank into the seat strangled by the Vulcan death grip from the seatbelt. I put a raping on the Benz in the first race, pulling 4+ cars by 130. We go one more time with him starting out in front of me 2 cars, and he got the hit. By 140 I was passing him, and I let off. He still wanted more, but I proved that my car was faster, and my exit was coming up, so I got off.

I arrive at Streets to be mobbed by everybody that was there. I haven’t been out there since last winter, so I guess people wanted to see the GT500. Ryan (ShankGT) and Jeff (Punisher, Beefcake) come up to me. We start chatting it up, next thing I know Ryan is asking to run me. I was hoping that his GTTT wasn’t the car he wanted to run. He points over to his new Red SL65. Knowing that my car was faster (raced and beat a S65 Renntech), I obliged. So we headed out to the highway to check out the street dyno. We agree that second gear at 50-55mph is a good starting point. Ryan is riding solo and I have Hank in my passenger seat as well as I just filled up before heading out tonight. First race, I honk it off…Ryan got the hit, but never got out ahead more than a nose. I start creeping forward as we’re going and end up about 1 car in front by 135. 2nd race has similar results, except for we both hit it at the same time and by 140 I was 1.5-2 cars ahead and still pulling. I neglected to mention that Jeff (and some other guy) we’re both following along in 2 Gallardo’s (spider and coupe). Neither of them had any chance of keeping up, but they sure sounded nice and looked sexy.

After following those guys for about 10 miles (wondering where we’re turning around to go back), Jeff tells me that they are going back to Ryan’s house and not to streets. So I bone out and head back to streets. I get back there around 11:20pm where we’re all just chit chatting about what happened with the SL65 and talking about other fast cars. Some other people come back from racing, so we start talking about them. One of the cars racing was a black Porsche. I didn’t get a good look at it, and know nothing about it. I do know that it raced a trans am (or firebird) and won. This got me to talking about how fast some Porsches are. So I start telling the people around me that one of the fastest Porsches in the world is here in Chicago...and start telling them about Markski’s car (see story later).

Not more than 5 minutes later, some guy comes around asking people if they want to race. I asked him what he’s got and he points over to Lighting. I ask him if he’s got nitrous. (Knowing that my car is faster than 95% of the lightning’s out there without nitrous) He said no, so I being cocky said “it’s not worth my time”. He takes major offence to it (all this time, when I said I have that white car over there (pointing to my GT500), he thought I was pointing to some late 90’s cobra). So I told him maybe later. He got kind of mad that I blew off racing his car because I thought mine was that much faster.

About 10 minutes later, I go up to him and say let’s do it. He wants to go from a dig to a ¼ mile. We are both on street tires, but the L has an auto trans which is a hell of a lot easier to launch than a manual on the streets. So, we head out to a spot about 20 minutes from streets (4 lane road). We agree to the terms, first to pass the car down the road a ¼ mile is the winner. We are going for $50 (first time I’ve ever raced for money in my life). I turn the t/c off, quickly clean off my tires and start to “stage”. Next thing I know, somebody tells me some fluid is leaking from under my car. So I pull over, turn my car off and check to see what it was, turns out its either water or coolant (no big deal). So we pull back on to the “track” and line them up. He drops his arms and we’re off. The Lightning jumped me, but we agreed that if you being to chase it’s legit. So I start to go (hmm, car feels weird) I hit second gear and it still isn’t going hard. I look down (I forgot to turn the t/c back off after turning the car off), so I reach down and hit the button (somewhere in 2nd gear). By this time we’re about ½ down the “track” and the L is a good 8 cars ahead. By the time we pass the car, I was about ½ length behind the Lighting and just ready to scream past her. If we were racing another 30’ I would have won. But I manned up and gave her the money. No excuses, but I wanted a double or nothing rematch.

I asked if they wanted to go for $100 because I knew that with t/c off I would smoke her…but they declined. I was satisfied enough with the opportunity to win my money back. This time we line them back up, I do a nice burnout for 2 seconds to clean the tires off for good. I make sure that t/c is off. He drops his arms, and learning from the first race, I know that she will try to jump me, so I nailed it before he dropped his arms. I get a really nice launch (t/c off!!!) and we’re pretty even out of the hole. By the time I hit second gear I am WALKING (no, running) away from her. By 3rd gear I am 10 cars out and I guess she let off after that. I was about 15 cars ahead at the end. I stayed in it the whole way and passed the ¼ mile car at about 127-128mph. We pull back around and I recollect my money. Chit chat for a while, they tell me about their other cars (much faster than the L). It’s around 2am, and I am ready to head home.

I toss the keys to Hank and told him to drive home. So as we’re getting back towards the city around 2:30; who do we see on the expressway? None other than Markski (in his 9.91 @ 146 turbo Porsche). I wish I was behind the wheel of my car because this is the first time Hank has driven my car and wasn’t comfortable beating on it. I stuck my head out the window and told Markski who I am (not sure if he could hear me) and asked him to get on it. He smashed the throttle, as Hank smashed it in my car. Wholly shit that Porsche moves out. He missed 4th gear though, so we didn’t really get to see what that beast could do. His car looks badass and sounds badass, either way! His exit was coming up, so he waved, as did I, and he took off.

A few moments later a blue evo (with no fin) pulls up next to us. So I tell Hank to get on it. He mashes it in 3rd gear and walks away from them. I don’t think they got on it. So we slow down and wait for them to come back. I hear him downshift, so we’re thinking it’s on. Hank downshifts and waits. We’re approaching an overpass and the evo gets off the throttle. Next thing I know, it sounds like Baghdad during the shock and awe faze. This dude’s evo keeps exploding cherry bombs out of his tail pipe with some of the loudest popping I’ve ever heard. This is his way of showing off? We made fun of him and wanted to call in an air strike to prevent this guy from ever doing that again, but our exit was coming up, so we got over to get off. Just as we’re getting off the freeway, the douche in the evo puts on his flashers to signify that he beat us somehow. Stupid ricer.

Anyway, that’s my story for this Chicago evening/morning. I hope you enjoyed. I know it was long, but I spent a long fawking time typing it out.

Dave,

Great videos & great story! Thanks...

I specially liked these two videos:

.¼ mile run from inside the car while shifting:

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/03253c0...87e00eed497.htm

* I noticed you don't use the hand break during launch...

.Night action (with sound) of the dashboard - PSI @ 13 + Supercharger at "warp" speed:

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/ffd7c6e...8800033bec9.htm

How often are you putting your engine through this ordeal?

How is the engine holding up? How much PMCS (maintenance) are you having to do afterwards?

I'm afraid of putting my engine through this repeated action and having something break!

Cheers..... :party:

Dave,

Great videos & great story! Thanks...

I specially liked these two videos:

.¼ mile run from inside the car while shifting:

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/03253c0...87e00eed497.htm

* I noticed you don't use the hand break during launch...

.Night action (with sound) of the dashboard - PSI @ 13 + Supercharger at "warp" speed:

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/ffd7c6e...8800033bec9.htm

How often are you putting your engine through this ordeal?

How is the engine holding up? How much PMCS (maintenance) are you having to do afterwards?

I'm afraid of putting my engine through this repeated action and having something break!

Cheers..... :party:

Thanks.

The first vid was my fastest pass ever through the 1/8th mile in this car at 7.28 @ 97.0 off of a 1.60 60'. I had to let out because the car got sideways after I hit 4th gear at over 100 mph. (watch the steering wheel)

The second vid was before the headers. I now see 10-11psi on my aftermarket gauge. my stock gauge has lost it's mind and reads 14psi now.

I haven't had to do anything more than standard maintenance in the 12.5K miles this car has on it (synthetic oil changes every 2500miles). haven't broke anything, although I had an issue with my clutch (that seemed to be going around with the early build cars; July 06 here). Outside of that, this car has been great. Much more reliable than my 03 and my 04 cobra, although in their defense I was running 17-19psi from a twin screw on both of them. Drive the heck out of your car, that is what it's designed for. I go WOT and power shift several times per day.

I turn the t/c off, quickly clean off my tires and start to “stage”. Next thing I know, somebody tells me some fluid is leaking from under my car. So I pull over, turn my car off and check to see what it was, turns out its either water or coolant (no big deal). So we pull back on to the “track” and line them up....and we’re off. So I start to go (hmm, car feels weird) I hit second gear and it still isn’t going hard. I look down (I forgot to turn the t/c back off after turning the car off), so I reach down and hit the button (somewhere in 2nd gear). By this time we’re about ½ down the “track” and the L is a good 8 cars ahead. By the time we pass the car, I was about ½ length behind the Lighting and just ready to scream past her. If we were racing another 30’ I would have won....I knew that with t/c off I would smoke her…This time we line them back up, I do a nice burnout for 2 seconds to clean the tires off for good. I make sure that t/c is off. He drops his arms...I get a really nice launch (t/c off!!!) and we’re pretty even out of the hole. By the time I hit second gear I am WALKING (no, running) away from her. By 3rd gear I am 10 cars out and I guess she let off after that. I was about 15 cars ahead at the end. I stayed in it the whole way and passed the ¼ mile car at about 127-128mph.

Anyone - I don't understand how having the T/C off would make the Shelby so much faster in the 1/4 mile!

I would think it would be the other way around....nice driving Dave!

Anyone - I don't understand how having the T/C off would make the Shelby so much faster in the 1/4 mile!

I would think it would be the other way around....nice driving Dave!

t/c off cuts power and slows you down, it was dogging me down bad. On a prepped surface, it might be a different story as my best 60's on street tires were with t/c on.

t/c off cuts power and slows you down, it was dogging me down bad. On a prepped surface, it might be a different story as my best 60's on street tires were with t/c on.

I may be having a "blonde" moment here....so, you are saying that I can get more speed if I keep my t/c ON when racing?

Also, what is your experience in racing a "stock" Shelby GT500 against the following cars (stock!):

.Chevrolet Corvette Z06

.Dodge Charger

.Dodge Viper

.BMW M3

So far I am keeping my vehicle "stock" to see what it can and cannot accomplish.

Thanks...

No, he actually misspoke that last time. He's saying it's faster with it off. T/C cuts power to the motor when the tires start to spin and bogs you down a bit. When I run my mickey thompsons and forget to turn off the t/c it bogs bad on the line. If you're on street tires and you haven't got the hang of launching it, you may do better with it on though.

Also, what is your experience in racing a "stock" Shelby GT500 against the following cars (stock!):

.Chevrolet Corvette Z06

.Dodge Charger

.Dodge Viper

.BMW M3

¼ mile times for stock vehicles – from DragTimes.com:

1/4 Mile ET - 1/4 Mile MPH - Car - Year

11.710 - 125.010 - Chevrolet Corvette Z06 - 2006

12.501 - 117.020 - Dodge Viper SRT10 - 2006

12.910 - 112.100 - Ford Shelby GT500 - 2007

13.500 - 101.200 - BMW M3 - 2006

13.510 - 106.310 - Dodge Charger SRT8 - 2006

I may be having a "blonde" moment here....so, you are saying that I can get more speed if I keep my t/c ON when racing?

.Chevrolet Corvette Z06

.Dodge Charger

.Dodge Viper

.BMW M3

So far I am keeping my vehicle "stock" to see what it can and cannot accomplish.

Thanks...

never raced a stock z06, but I am 100% sure I'd pull on one based on me being edged out by less than a car from 50-140 from one with 50-60rwhp over stock. This is the fastest car of the bunch.

dodge charger srt8 is a high 12/low 13 second ride at under 110mph, I would annihialite one. Not even a race.

Dodge viper, me and my ex room mates 06 viper coupe with a supercharger are neck and neck through 3rd gear. I would assume that I would pull one pretty good if it were stock.

M3, i raced an e46 m3 when I was on the stock pulley, stock intake with only a tune and I raped him several times. They are slow.

No, he actually misspoke that last time. He's saying it's faster with it off. T/C cuts power to the motor when the tires start to spin and bogs you down a bit. When I run my mickey thompsons and forget to turn off the t/c it bogs bad on the line. If you're on street tires and you haven't got the hang of launching it, you may do better with it on though.

going back, i spoke correctly, just wasn't very clear.

on the track with prep, on street tires, TC ON.

on the street, on street tires, TC OFF.

on the track with Drag tires, TC OFF.

on the street with drag tires, ??? most likely TC off.

Dgussin-

you rock, man. I live vicariously through you! nice videos!....

PLEASE be careful! not sure you'd get computer access in the state prison... or in the hospital! I'm not preaching....just don't want you to get hurt or in trouble.

aside from the cars and action, the music is great! I think I need to get that track for play in my car!

Ron

¼ mile times for stock vehicles – from DragTimes.com:

1/4 Mile ET - 1/4 Mile MPH - Car - Year

11.710 - 125.010 - Chevrolet Corvette Z06 - 2006

12.501 - 117.020 - Dodge Viper SRT10 - 2006

12.910 - 112.100 - Ford Shelby GT500 - 2007

13.500 - 101.200 - BMW M3 - 2006

13.510 - 106.310 - Dodge Charger SRT8 - 2006

Thanks phr3121-

12.9 is among the highest 1/4 mile stock ET's from the magazine tests... i think MM&FF ran a 12.4 if i am not mistaken? anyway, the bottom line is I think it has a lot to do with who is driving (of course). but i can tell you that even a slightly modified GT500 can run/surpass a stock viper in a straight line in the mid-range (40-120 MPH). once you start taking curves... all bets are off!

Thanks phr3121-

12.9 is among the highest 1/4 mile stock ET's from the magazine tests... i think MM&FF ran a 12.4 if i am not mistaken? anyway, the bottom line is I think it has a lot to do with who is driving (of course). but i can tell you that even a slightly modified GT500 can run/surpass a stock viper in a straight line in the mid-range (40-120 MPH). once you start taking curves... all bets are off!

12.27@ 117 mph by MM&FF Evan Smith.......best mag time

Archived