TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Paint correction on your 2016 GT-H

bterry29

I purchased #26 about three weeks ago.  I purchased it sight unseen from an owner in California.  When it arrived I noticed a lot of swirls and minor scratches in the paint.  I really try to keep my cars as clean and detailed as I can.  My plan is to put this car in shows and want the paint to be as flawless as I can get it.  I have a random orbital polisher that I've used a couple times but don't feel confident in using it on this car.  I was wondering the condition of your GT-H when you bought it and what you did to take care of any rental abuse.  Thanks for your comments.

Hey bterry29, you might want to try this special buffer and polisher that utilizes two smaller size foam buffing pads that are side by side on it.  Also, if it’s used on dark color paints it should be used with a high quality dark colored buffing compound.  I’ve used this combination myself in the past on a brand new black Lincoln Navigator and had very good results.   This kind of buffer is a dual 5’’ buffer pads and it goes by the name Cyclo buffer / polisher.

P.S. Unless your really good and have the right touch, I probably leave the buffing to a qualified detailer, you just might be better off in the long run, just saying!    Good luck!

Also, you just might want to try the (Clay bar system), it can work wonders sometimes!      :thumbsup:

Edited by Mongoose
ad text

Thanks for the responses. I had a guy who does detailing as a side job work on it for about 5 hours last weekend.  It looked great in the garage but once we pulled it out in the sunlight the swirl marks and minor scratches were still there.  He clay barred it before using the buffer.  The clay bar definitely made it smoother but didn't do much for the swirl or scratches.  I think the professional detail service is what it needs.

5 hours ago, bterry29 said:

Thanks for the responses. I had a guy who does detailing as a side job work on it for about 5 hours last weekend.  It looked great in the garage but once we pulled it out in the sunlight the swirl marks and minor scratches were still there.  He clay barred it before using the buffer.  The clay bar definitely made it smoother but didn't do much for the swirl or scratches.  I think the professional detail service is what it needs.

:thumbsup:  Pro-detailer using the very best products for dark colored paints and a nice dual head buffer should do the trick!    Good Luck!    :peelout:

I did this to my 07 GT500 and it took me days not hours to get all the scratches out of my paint. I had a professional show me how to do it. There are a lot of steps. Do small areas at a time and don't move on till all the swirls are gone. I bought the Flex polisher. 3 buffing pads and 2 different polishing compounds some paint sealant and then wax.

Good luck on the swirls. I used a clay bar, polishing compound, then a good wax and had pretty good results. I think the bang for the buck was the polishing compound. It improved the finish a lot, not seeing the unsightly swirl marks in the sun, which does not lie! Brent

I did my dark colored cars with clay bar and Turtle Wax Ice wax/polish once a year, but after two applications I caved and had a pro do a paint correction for the micro scratches.  Lots of people were buying some kind of orbital polisher and doing it themselves and then someone burned through the paint clear into the paint and it cost him 10x as much as it saved him.  Find a good detailer...  I had one of my black Barrett Jackson Shelby GTs and my British Racing Green Cobra done by one of the original partners at Adams Polishes (this was when they first started in Boulder, CO). He was doing high end cars but using the AP facility and products.  The black paint on the GT looked better than when it was new. 

When I took the Ford GT to Barrett Jackson I made use of their inside vendor for a detail job.  When we got it inside it was very clear that the GT also needed paint correction.  The arena lights are especially harsh and it didn't show up in the sunlight.  It turns out their vendor is Adams Polishes!!!