TEAM SHELBY FORUM

ONE piece drive shaft

1oldmf

I have a 2008 GT500  with mods, (whipple 2.9)and was told  I should  upgrade to one piece drive shaft, 

ford, or?  

ford  is $611 on sale, 

did some laps at Las Vegas Speedway  and  was up to 140 mph,  with no noticeable issues.

Shelby installed a 1pc. driveshaft on the 725hp level Super Snakes with the 2.8 Kenne Bell but did not upgrade to a 1pc. on the 6XXhp Super Snakes from that same era. I would guess your 2.9 Whipple is in that same HP range (out of the box), 725/750. As for high speeds, the GT500 was limited to I think 155mph, maybe it was 155 for converts. and higher for a coupe?, so pulling 140mph with that 2pc. shaft should not be an issue as long as the use of that 750hp has not compromised that oem 2pc. driveshaft.

$611 is a nice price for a new FRPP 1pc.

R

Edited by Robert M

THX,       this is not a  beater,  I respect the car for what it is, and can do, 

also  respect  that it is  possible to  destroy LOTS of parts, 

I enjoy it , but  seldom drop the hammer  on it,  from a stop, 

seems  alot  of folks  say I NEED a one piece  drive shaft.

Edited by 1oldmf

On 1/28/2020 at 11:13 PM, 1oldmf said:

THX,       this is not a  beater,  I respect the car for what it is, and can do, 

also  respect  that it is  possible to  destroy LOTS of parts, 

I enjoy it , but  seldom drop the hammer  on it,  from a stop, 

seems  alot  of folks  say I NEED a one piece  drive shaft.

You do need it with that power level. If you drive it and use the power, it will break soon. You can leave the 2 piece if you don't drive it hard.

4 hours ago, Secondo said:

You do need it with that power level. If you drive it and use the power, it will break soon. You can leave the 2 piece if you don't drive it hard.

^^^^^^ and adding to this OP, you mentioned "seldom drop the hammer on it, from a stop"..............that is the biggest shock to that 2pc driveshaft, a rolling spin of the tires is much more forgiving than dumping the clutch from a standstill start, even at the stock power level and the risk only increases with the power add.

R

when I say  2.9 whipple, complete kit, TB, CIA. and  dual fan/ dual pass intercooler,  (heat exchanger)

1st dyno run was "smog legal"  then I mentioned we don't have smog checks where I live,  tuner said  OK!!!!!!

so more timing and  fuel was added, still at 15lbs,  

and the HP went up substantially, !   :yahoo:.

so  when I say I'm respectful  of what it is,  I am really respectful of what damage it can cause, 

thx for the  info,   I guess that (driveshaft) and  loop are in order.

oh... are the stock axles  next on the hit list? 

moser  bolt in worth it?

On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2020 at 11:26 PM, 1oldmf said:

when I say  2.9 whipple, complete kit, TB, CIA. and  dual fan/ dual pass intercooler,  (heat exchanger)

1st dyno run was "smog legal"  then I mentioned we don't have smog checks where I live,  tuner said  OK!!!!!!

so more timing and  fuel was added, still at 15lbs,  

and the HP went up substantially, !   :yahoo:.

so  when I say I'm respectful  of what it is,  I am really respectful of what damage it can cause, 

thx for the  info,   I guess that (driveshaft) and  loop are in order.

oh... are the stock axles  next on the hit list? 

moser  bolt in worth it?

I added Moser Street Axles when I pulled my 8.8 and derusted/restored it, I figured that was the best time to make the swap..........

0063-zpsfb08ff58.jpg

0019-1.jpg

The Mosers are the same thickness/diameter from the axle flange to the splines. The oem axles "neck down" toward the spline end and that is where they are known to break (if they break), but both are C-Clip design.

R

• 2 weeks later...

Why are the 13-14 GT500 aftermarket drive shafts listed as different from 07-12?  Same body, trans and rear.  I would think 07-14 would be the same drive shaft.  I understand 07-12 had the carrier bearing and that would make a difference if replacing with OEM parts, but aftermarket should be the same, should they not?

Edited by txcharlie

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2020 at 7:42 PM, txcharlie said:

Why are the 13-14 GT500 aftermarket drive shafts lifted as different from 07-12?  Same body, trans and rear.  I would think 07-14 would be the same drive shaft.  I understand 07-12 had the carrier bearing and that would make a difference if replacing with OEM parts, but aftermarket should be the same, should they not?

If I remember correctly, the oem 2013/14 CF driveshaft has CV joints at both ends and the 2007-2012 2pc. driveshaft only has a CV at the rear. To install a 2013/14 CF driveshaft in a 2007-2012 GT500, it requires an adapter that provides a CV joint attachment at the transmission end also.

Also, If I remember correctly, doesn't the 2013/14 trans have a different output shaft spline? If so, it would not be a simple install of a 2013/14 flange/yoke on the 2007-2012 trans. for the CF install, that is why there have been a couple of aftermarket flange/yoke options made for that swap as shown below.........2007-2012 transmission splines - 2013/14 CV joint attachment.....

011.jpg

010.jpg

012.jpg

^^^^This was the full yoke replacement option that was once available for this CF driveshaft swap, there was also the option of keeping the oem 2007-2012 trans. flange/yoke in place and a cup bolted to that oem flange for the 2013/14 CF driveshaft install.

R

Edited by Robert M