TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Your Shelby Top Speed

How many of you have been 130mph or better. I'm signing up for ECTA in Maxton NC. Its running a mile wide open. I have had my Shelby to 150 quite a few times on Sebrings back straight. Any guesses on how fast a 500 Gt will go.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Buy a tune.

You may be able to turn off the restriction w/ the Ford computer, but I doubt it.

My SCT tuner says my speed limiter is turned off!

So how fast have you had yours up to with it off?

Now don't even start with the VA speeding fines BS! :hysterical:

Lets see what that bad boy will do! Besides, no cop can catch you anyway! :hysterical:

How many of you have been 130mph or better. I'm signing up for ECTA in Maxton NC. Its running a mile wide open. I have had my Shelby to 150 quite a few times on Sebrings back straight. Any guesses on how fast a 500 Gt will go.

I bought my car last Jan. from dealership in Sacramento CA., but took delivery in Reno Nv. to avoid paying sales taxes in CA. Drove the car down the backside of Sierra's in Nv. to where I live in AZ. Drove almost 100 miles through snow and ice, couldn't go much over 25 for about 4 hours. Thank God for traction control. When out of the snow and on solid dry road, had it up to 140 for a short burst, maybe a mile or two. Handled extremely well, felt solid as a rock, no floating or wander at all.

Had a 91 Z28 with a Paxton SC on it and had it up to about 130. NO comparison. The Z felt real spongy and not very solid at that speed.

AZbud

Mine went to 158 before hitting the speed limiter. Revs were 5200 in 5th gear. Car felt solid, not scary at all.

Had mine up to 143 on the dyno. On the road, the fastest I've gone (actually it was my wife) was about 105.

I'm too scared of the cops around my house to get her going too fast...cops run thick around here. You can't swing a dead cat without hitting a Douglas county sheriff.

I went 144 recently in my GT and the computer started beeping. I read that the limit is set at 146. I am buying a tuner that you can set the maximum speed or shut it off. The car can go much faster however my stock bodied GT without a front spoiler was just starting to feel light at over 135.

Edit: My point is that the Shelby should be faster.

How do you get the chance to do that? :wub:

when the highway is clear, I just romp on it.

I had never seen anything as clear when I did 160+. There was a big rig coming up when I was at 160+, so I let off. Had he not been there I would have kept going. Car felt good, back a little soft.

Any idea of what the theoretical top speed is for a stock GT500?

Thanks!

Kelton

I read in one of my mustang magizines it was governored at 155 and they did a test on a stock GT500 and removed the governor and it topped out at 178mph!

I have had mine up to 140 3 times. but I have only had the car for a month.

I read in one of my mustang magizines it was governored at 155 and they did a test on a stock GT500 and removed the governor and it topped out at 178mph!

I have had mine up to 140 3 times. but I have only had the car for a month.

Great! keep us posted on your speed runs!!

LOL I could only do about 115 with my old one with the 4.56 gears!! But it sure got there quickly!! :shift:

I hit just above 150, in 4th gear one day. I didn't realize I was going that fast until the shift bell rang and I looked down at the dash. I was on a bridge and there was traffic around me. I was very alert on where every car was and where they were going, almost like things were standing still. The cars went by me like I was passing them at normal speed. I guess Einstein's theory is right; as your speed increases, time slows. :superhero:

Archived