TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Ford HID Headlamps for 2007

I was at my local ford delaer today and went over to the parts department today to find out how much it would cost to get the 2008 shelby HID headlamps. Each headlight aseembly costs 725.00, which is 1450.00 right there and you still have to buy the modules (ballasts) to power the bulb which are also probably expensive. I just said bevermind and didnt even ask for the price of the modules.

Just going to go with aftermarket HID's with a lifetime warranty for about 500.00.

I was at my local ford delaer today and went over to the parts department today to find out how much it would cost to get the 2008 shelby HID headlamps. Each headlight aseembly costs 725.00, which is 1450.00 right there and you still have to buy the modules (ballasts) to power the bulb which are also probably expensive. I just said bevermind and didnt even ask for the price of the modules.

Just going to go with aftermarket HID's with a lifetime warranty for about 500.00.

What's that...you have beaver on your mind? You'll fit right in :hysterical2::hysterical2::hysterical2:

Welcome to StangsUnleashed.com

1400.00 is silly....I think if ford is smart they will put together a kit for this. Who knows maybe shelby performance parts will come up with one, like saleen did. Saleen's kit sells for approximately 700.00, and is a true hid with hi and low beams.

A Ford Dealer in NC that I always buy parts from told me my price was $950ish for the pair and he told me that the ballasts were included. Not sure how accurate that is but I may soon order them to find out! :happy feet:

A Ford Dealer in NC that I always buy parts from told me my price was $950ish for the pair and he told me that the ballasts were included. Not sure how accurate that is but I may soon order them to find out! :happy feet:

That's considerably better.

$1400.00 retail for the pair complete with ballasts. I just ordered a set that will be in and installed on my 500 by the end of the week. Saleen HID's are going for about $900.00 a pair; I just installed a set of those on my SGTSC last week and their fantastic. Both the factory and the Saleen HID's are made by Valeo-Sylvanya and are both Bi-Xenon HID's (low/high beam).

After market, off shore HID capsules are just fine, but using them without the proper reflectors that have a capsule cover (blinder), so the light scatters incorrectly and does not provide a proper beam for the driver and also tends to blind on-coming cars who generally retaliate by flashing their high beams back at you.

Additionally, most (not all) aftermarket HID's are not Bi-Xenon and those that are generally quite pricy because of the solenoid incorporated to move the capsule up and down in order to change the capsule's focal point within the reflector. Bi-Xenon HID's only have one level of light output not two like conventional headlamp capsules, because they do not have dual filaments like conventional headlamp capsules do. HID capsules do not have any filaments at all and the light comes from charged gas (think florescent) not a burning filament. So when you activate the high beams in a Bi-Xenon HID equipped car, the light APPEARS to be brighter only because the light's focal point has changed within the reflector. Remember using a magnifying glass on a sunny day to burn leaves or paper? When you change the sunlight's focal point to a pinpoint, the light would get brighter and hotter until the paper started to smolder and catch fire. Same concept with Bi-Xenon HID's.

Remember guys, never order parts direct from Ford, get them from a Ford dealer or distributor who will sell them to you at cost or what I find 10% over. That will save you considerable amount of money.

$950 sounds about right, but I just would rather spend that kind of money on something else but I will def. get this mod in the future!

Guys one addition here. I have spoken to valeo sylvania. In order to make the lights work, you will need the wiring harness and you will need a relay. The Valeo folks explained to me what the relay did but I cant remember specifically.

The better aftermarket kits are true bi-xenon, not solenoid operated bi-focal units. These actually DO have dual HID tubes incorporated into the capsule, one at each focal point. No mechanical movement. Not sure how the ford units work but the mechanical dual focal point systems are old technology used when ballasts took far too long to come up to full brightness. Modern electronics have solved this and the change from low to high beam happens in milliseconds with the high beam tube at 90% of full bright in 1 to 2 seconds.

Archived