TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2007 SGT Hood Scoops

shelbygt104

Can anyone clarify if all of the 07 SGT's were equipped with what we call the 1st generation scoops, that have the imitation rivets and bolted on underneath with four nuts, or did they change later in production that year, to the scoops with the actual functioning rivets.

The reason I'm trying to find out, is to support or disprove a story I was told back in 2010 when we attended Mustang Week in Myrtle Beach. We pulled into a Ford Dealership one evening to kill some time before one of the events, and several of the sales personnel came out to look at our cars. One particular, older, well dressed, gentleman walked around my 07 white SGT, paused and said, son (i was 55 then) this is a low vin numbered car isn't it. I replied yes sir, it's number 0104, how could you tell. Your hood scoop gave it away, all of these early vin numbered SGT's were equipped with the scoops that came from Carroll Shelby's personal inventory, that came from the early sixties cobras that he built. I'm trying to be respectful, but I'm thinking to myself, get out. He went on to say there is a recall on these scoops, but do not turn this scoop back in for the upgraded one, you'll be sorry later on. I'm not advocating what the old guy shared with me was actually true, but it sure was a cool story. By the way, my pristine 28,000 mile 07 SGT is still wearing that warped 1st generation scoop.

5 hours ago, shelbygt104 said:

The reason I'm trying to find out, is to support or disprove a story I was told back in 2010 when we attended Mustang Week in Myrtle Beach. We pulled into a Ford Dealership one evening to kill some time before one of the events, and several of the sales personnel came out to look at our cars. One particular, older, well dressed, gentleman walked around my 07 white SGT, paused and said, son (i was 55 then) this is a low vin numbered car isn't it. I replied yes sir, it's number 0104, how could you tell. Your hood scoop gave it away, all of these early vin numbered SGT's were equipped with the scoops that came from Carroll Shelby's personal inventory, that came from the early sixties cobras that he built. I'm trying to be respectful, but I'm thinking to myself, get out. He went on to say there is a recall on these scoops, but do not turn this scoop back in for the upgraded one, you'll be sorry later on. I'm not advocating what the old guy shared with me was actually true, but it sure was a cool story. By the way, my pristine 28,000 mile 07 SGT is still wearing that warped 1st generation scoop.

That statement is 100% untrue and is so outlandish that I would suggest taking with a grain of salt any other wisdom he passed on to you.

Also the hood scoops were never ever "recalled", once again his knowledge is not accurate.

Steven

Correct, all '07 Shelby GT's came with the warped fake-rivet scoop.  Following complaints, the fully-riveted scoop was offered (for a cost) as an upgrade (which I, for one, did immediately!).

I believe there were a total of three versions of the hood scoop;

Gen1a: Molded plastic (w/internal webbing for strength) 8-Bolts w/fake rivets and two screws
Gen1b: Molded plastic (w/internal webbing for strength) 8-Bolts w/real rivets

Gen2: Molded plastic w/"pillow" replacing the webbing w/real rivets

Gen3: Fiberglass w/real rivets

My 08 came with the Gen2, which I had replaced under warranty within the first 6 months... Within a week of bring it home, the new one warped too and was messing up the stripes from the heat/cool down cycling.  I ended up worked with Bud directly, I was able to receive one of the very first Gen3s again under warranty, its been on now for nearly 11 years without issues including the stripes that were replaced at the same time.

Edited by 08SGT1234

That statement is 100% untrue and is so outlandish that I would suggest taking with a grain of salt any other wisdom he passed on to you.

Also the hood scoops were never ever "recalled", once again his knowledge is not accurate.

At the Amelia Island Concourse Saturday cars/coffee event a few years back a guy had a white 07SGT on display.  Given I have one, we started talking and he told me if the hood insulation had pictures of the Mustang Pony imbedded in it that meant it was built using 'prison labor.  Yup, he sure was proud that his car was made using prison labor.