TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Australian Fords going global!

Good article! It would be great if it happens, the Aussie Ford guys have an enthusiast approach to designing vehicles that seems to be becoming lost here in the US with the SVT/FR merging.

I wonder if the 388 hp Boss 5.4L engine that is "essentially identical to the 2000 Cobra R power plant" has an iron or aluminum block.

An aluminum 5.4L block from a production Ford, would be great, and makes a lot of sense with the GM Diemler products available, and soon to be.

Nice, very nice. The engine trim looks terrific, and what pisses me off about that is we are going to pay out the ass for the 500, and while the engine trim looks decent, it sure doesn't compare to the Aussie Boss engine's appearance. At least the GT's engine got blue valve covers w/chrome Spark Plug covers.

With the previously posted information about Ford revamping/restructuring SVT division in the U.S., if their idea to have their Australian products sell globally includes the U.S., then it looks like they might be consolidating their resaources as part of their "way forward" restructuring plan.

You know about the "Way Forward" plan right? Its the plan where Ford tells 25,000+ employees that they are layed off and the "way forward" is out the factory or office door and down to the unemployment benifits line to stand along side of the 30,000 employees from GM's "way forward" plan.

The computer and software industry's technicial support is/has gone overseas, and now it looks like we may get our "American Muscle" from down under. My concern is that if we keep importing our work out of the country, and no one is working in the U.S., then who the hell is going to have the money to buy the cars? As far as I can figure, it would be difficult to do a burnout when there are cows running loose in the street in front of you. Boy, if you hit one of those babies, your ass would be baked in a stone oven.

:soapbox:

Isn't the Pontiac GTO Platform Australian?

Yep. And the Ford's in the picture look like the GTO to me too.

Jeeze, now that you mention it...!!

Australia must only have one car designer down there and he works for Holden and Ford at the sametime. I think his name is Chip Monk or Shrimp Fooce, something like that. I hear he's really into eggs. :hysterical:

Yep. And the Ford's in the picture look like the GTO to me too.

While their engines and drivetrains look great I think the outside styling should be all "American". Although for a sedan to replace the crown vic it might be a good place to start.

quote name='Son of GT' date='May 7 2006, 12:55 PM' post='11001']

Nice, very nice. The engine

[ trim looks terrific, and what pisses me off about that is we are going to pay out the ass for the 500, and while the engine trim looks decent, it sure doesn't compare to the Aussie Boss engine's appearance. At least the GT's engine got blue valve covers w/chrome Spark Plug covers.

With the previously posted information about Ford revamping/restructuring SVT division in the U.S., if their idea to have their Australian products sell globally includes the U.S., then it looks like they might be consolidating their resaources as part of their "way forward" restructuring plan.]

I don't think it would be necessary to import anything ,just use the tecnology and build it here after all it is still a Ford product. Ford has many resources worldwide it only makes sence to take advantage of all of them.

While their engines and drivetrains look great I think the outside styling should all "American". Although for a sedan to replace the crown vic it might be a good place to start.

I don't think it would be necessary to import anything ,just use the tecnology and build it here after all it is still a Ford product. Ford has many resources worldwide it only makes sence to take advantage of all of them.

Yes, but would Ford do that? Remember how they handled the Merkur XR4, Capri and the Lynx? The XR4 was hardly changed over (Almost just D.O.T. complient), and the Capri and Lynx was just converted to Left hand drive. Like the GTO, all of those cars flopped big time here. Great drivetrain on the GTO as well as the Fords pictured on the website, but the styling is aparantly just not to our (North American's) liking. And I guess it must be cheaper to just modify an exsisting car and ship it out than it is to just reap its technology and build it into something else stateside. I wish they would, but both Ford and GM have not done that, at least on the surface anyway. Sure, we may get some trim ideas or a couple of switchs from the overseas groups that get incorporated into a domestic Ford or GM product, but I just don't recall a U.S. built car that was designed and engineered overseas for the U.S. market. I would love to see an American designed and built Ford car that uses an Australian designed and engineered engine, drivetrain (six speed manuals and automatics standard!!!???), and interior trim. Maybe it will happen, we never know.

Archived