TEAM SHELBY FORUM

CAUTION! For those centering your SHELBY on trunklid!

I finally did this "easy" mod today.

First off, it is not easy, it is tedious but very doable and I must say when you take your time and get the measurements exactly right, it looks much much much better. I love it!

Now, a few things I would like to caution anyone else that has not done this yet but is planning on it.

-Please stay away from any wax, adhesive removers unless you are familiar with using them. I used 3M adhesive remover and sprayed a very small amount, one letter at a time, I stopped after the first letter because although it did a great job of removing the wax and adhesive I think it went through the clear coat as well. As soon as I put my 100% terry cloth towel to the paint to remove the left over goo, serious scratches followed. I mean bad. It took me a good 20 minutes to remove the scratches with some scratch remover but they are still there but not nearly as bad thank god. I do not think I did anything wrong as I went 100% according to the instructions.

Here is how I recommend getting the stuff off, use your finger tips! Yes, it will take about an hour, but the results will be much better and your paint will thank you.

So please use wax/adhesive removers at your own risk, I wish I had not used my $50k plus car as a first time user with this stuff, but luckily it is not that bad but could have been.

I used fishing line by the way which worked great but for me, 100% of the adhesive stuck to the paint and not the letters :( I mean every bit of adhesive for some reason did not stay on the letter but stuck to the paint. I tried heating the letters, I tried not heating them to see if there was any difference and all times it stuck to the paint.

Now Im sure you are wondering why no pics? Well, that is because I have not removed all the old residue from the original letters and if I took a pic right now, you would see a ghost SHELBY off to the left and a nice new SHELBY in the middle ahhaha

Ill will post pics though once I get it all cleaned up, and all I can say, is WOW what a difference. This mod is a must!

PS-My car is very dirty and I am still worried that when I get it all cleaned up, you will see where the paint was badly marred from the stupid 3M adhesive remover, that shit really dulls the paint. Stay away!

First off, it is not easy, it is tedious but very doable and I must say when you take your time and get the measurements exactly right, it looks much much much better. I love it!

Now, a few things I would like to caution anyone else that has not done this yet but is planning on it.

-Please stay away from any wax, adhesive removers unless you are familiar with using them. I used 3M adhesive remover and sprayed a very small amount, one letter at a time, I stopped after the first letter because although it did a great job of removing the wax and adhesive I think it went through the clear coat as well. As soon as I put my 100% terry cloth towel to the paint to remove the left over goo, serious scratches followed. I mean bad. It took me a good 20 minutes to remove the scratches with some scratch remover but they are still there but not nearly as bad thank god. I do not think I did anything wrong as I went 100% according to the instructions.

Here is how I recommend getting the stuff off, use your finger tips! Yes, it will take about an hour, but the results will be much better and your paint will thank you.

So please use wax/adhesive removers at your own risk, I wish I had not used my $50k plus car as a first time user with this stuff, but luckily it is not that bad but could have been.

I used fishing line by the way which worked great but for me, 100% of the adhesive stuck to the paint and not the letters :( I mean every bit of adhesive for some reason did not stay on the letter but stuck to the paint. I tried heating the letters, I tried not heating them to see if there was any difference and all times it stuck to the paint.

Now Im sure you are wondering why no pics? Well, that is because I have not removed all the old residue from the original letters and if I took a pic right now, you would see a ghost SHELBY off to the left and a nice new SHELBY in the middle ahhaha

Ill will post pics though once I get it all cleaned up, and all I can say, is WOW what a difference. This mod is a must!

PS-My car is very dirty and I am still worried that when I get it all cleaned up, you will see where the paint was badly marred from the stupid 3M adhesive remover, that shit really dulls the paint. Stay away!

Yes I used pre sol solvent to remove the residue and had a ghost. I used so polishing compond and finishing compound and a clay bar then wax and the problem is solved.

Hope your paint cleans up OK. I used mineral spirits to remove the adhesive residue with no problems . I didn't let it stay on the surface very long and then rewaxed it to remove the ghost letters

Hope your paint cleans up OK. I used mineral spirits to remove the adhesive residue with no problems . I didn't let it stay on the surface very long and then rewaxed it to remove the ghost letters

Yep I used mineral spirits also.... with no probs at all.

I had some very small scratches when finished.

I clay barred it, used some 2 stage clear coat polish.

And back on with about 4 coats over a couple days of ICE paste and it was perfect.

I love the centering of letters. That, the rear spoiler, the hood and the stance was what caught my eye on the concept car.

I had some very small scratches when finished.

I clay barred it, used some 2 stage clear coat polish.

And back on with about 4 coats over a couple days of ICE paste and it was perfect.

I love the centering of letters. That, the rear spoiler, the hood and the stance was what caught my eye on the concept car.

I agree 100%

Hey guys, what exactly is "clear coat polish"?

I am familiar with regular polishes and waxes, but what is the difference? More info please.

What is mineral spirts as well?? I will keep that in mind for future projects or even try it on my remaining letters still with some goo.

Thanks and I even though I have some not to serious scratches, the job was done how I wanted with the spacing I wanted and I don't think this would have happened if you just take it to a body shop.

I agree 100%

Hey guys, what exactly is "clear coat polish"?

I am familiar with regular polishes and waxes, but what is the difference? More info please.

What is mineral spirts as well?? I will keep that in mind for future projects or even try it on my remaining letters still with some goo.

Thanks and I even though I have some not to serious scratches, the job was done how I wanted with the spacing I wanted and I don't think this would have happened if you just take it to a body shop.

Not sure about the "clear coat polish" but mineral spirits can be found at any hardware, paint or home improvement store...look in the paint section. Mineral spirits is what you cut oil based paint w2ith and also what you clean up with (as long as it is not a water based finish product). I would stay away from turpintine which is similar.

Chuck, I am truly sorry to hear you had so much trouble with the 3M product. I have used it for years without difficulty and had none of the trouble you did when removing the SHELBY letters. Also used it when changing badges on my F250. Any solvent can soften the clearcoat and a terry cloth towel is VERY abrasive if used with any rubbing force. I still think with some polishing and rewaxing your finish will be back to new. Good luck.

Archived