TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Hurst Shifter

I test drove a SGT today with the Hurst Shifter and was very disappointed. This was not like the old spring loaded, hot knife through butter, that I remember of Hurst shifters from the late 60's early 70's. First to Second was not a problem but the Second to Third shift hung up as did Third to Fourth. Going into Fifth was a real chore. Has anyone else had this problem? Does the shifter become better with use? It does not seem to be spring loaded to guide the shifter into gear. Help! I don't want to buy a problem.

Sounds like that one had something wrong with it. I have never had a shift hang up. It is not a "knife through butter" shifter, however...its more like a rifle bolt.

....I concur with ilmor's analogy and will add it does take a few miles to get used to. Howver, now I love it and I can't stand the sloppy feeling smooth shifter in my wife's car.

When I was a kid we called this shifter a "rock crusher". I think that was a good name then and it's still a good name!

I love it!

....well you had your first before I was born. The only other Mustang I have owned was a '67 with an automatic. What I called sloopy really is more smooth effortless shifter. The Hurst feels like a more precise shift that requires a well motivated shift. If you try just gingerly shift it like an European car or something it will get hung up in gears. Give it a good pull or push and it will shift perfect everytime.

....well you had your first before I was born. The only other Mustang I have owned was a '67 with an automatic. What I called sloopy really is more smooth effortless shifter. The Hurst feels like a more precise shift that requires a well motivated shift. If you try just gingerly shift it like an European car or something it will get hung up in gears. Give it a good pull or push and it will shift perfect everytime.

Archived