TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shaker 1000 Upgrade

ShelbyEra08

Is there a plug and play replacement type thing available for the factory Shaker 1000? Since i take my 2007 GT500 to car shows i am very limited on trunk space because of the Subwoofer. Would like to find something that is smaller that fits better in the trunk.

Edited by ShelbyEra08

19 hours ago, ShelbyEra08 said:

Is there a plug and play replacement type thing available for the factory Shaker 1000? Since i take my 2007 GT500 to car shows i am very limited on trunk space because of the Subwoofer. Would like to find something that is smaller that fits better in the trunk.

I'm not 100% certain but I seem to recall that the sub-woofer can be unplugged and removed and the Shaker 1000 stereo will still work.

But if not you could always pick up a Shaker 500 stereo from eBay or another Team Shelby member and of course that would plug n play.

Steven

I have the Shaker 1000 in my ‘08 KR and and Shaker 500 in my ‘08 SGT.  I actually think the Shaker 500 sounds better, more balanced.  Then again most of the time they are in the “off” position so I can hear the sound of speed. 😈

I never unplugged my Shaker 1000 sub, but my guess is the entire system would either sound like a 500 or simply shut down?

3 hours ago, mfield2a said:

I have the Shaker 1000 in my ‘08 KR and and Shaker 500 in my ‘08 SGT.  I actually think the Shaker 500 sounds better, more balanced.  Then again most of the time they are in the “off” position so I can hear the sound of speed. 😈

I never unplugged my Shaker 1000 sub, but my guess is the entire system would either sound like a 500 or simply shut down?

From what I recall it kind of reverts to a Shaker 500 when you unplug the trunk amps/subwoofer box because you still have the other amps in the passenger compartment.

The OP should turn off the trunk sub-woofer on the radios head unit and see if they like how the stereo sounds. If they are ok with the sound then they should remove the subwoofer & trunk amps. Free's up a lot of space, reduces the weight of the car but don't forget there is no carpet under the subwoofer so you will have a "bald spot" on the trunk floor.

Steven

3 hours ago, SAI-Steven said:

Shelby Kicker subwoofer.

Notice how the Kicker doesn't protrude as far into the trunk.

image.png

I have 2 chairs in my trunk and the factory subwoofer just gets in the way when trying to put the chairs back in. I could live with that kicker system because it is more flush with the wheel well and not sticking out as much as the factory 1000. 

Where would someone find this Shelby Kicker Subwoofer? I looked on ShelbyStore.com and couldnt find it. Also would this be a plug and play replacement for the Shaker 1000 or would i need to do some wiring?

Edited by ShelbyEra08

Here is a read about the Shelby/Kicker install from Donald Farr....................

http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/interior-electrical/mump-1001-how-to-install-a-shelby-kicker-stereo-upgrade/

Note one of the remarks listed under one of the pictures in the article linked above.............

"Power for the amp and powered rear subwoofer comes from the main power lug at the underhood fuse box. Sturdy wiring harnesses, included with the kit, route through the firewall after removing the passenger-side inner fender cover, which attaches with six easy-to-remove fasteners. The rear subwoofer harness continues under the door sill panel and behind the inner rear quarter-panel to enter the trunk."

I think this was the main reason I hesitated on buying this set up for my 2008 Super Snake when it was current in SPP, not that the system is not quality, I'm sure it is, but I did not want to cut into any firewall seals (or drill a hole) to route a wire or wire harness to the engine compartment fuse box to feed the Kicker amp. in the passenger compartment and powered sub in the trunk. I am pretty sure that the Kicker amp. also has to be integrated into the cars audio system for the Kicker speakers and sub to work or at least work properly.

R

Edited by Robert M

On 9/20/2019 at 5:08 PM, ShelbyEra08 said:

I have 2 chairs in my trunk and the factory subwoofer just gets in the way when trying to put the chairs back in. I could live with that kicker system because it is more flush with the wheel well and not sticking out as much as the factory 1000. 

Where would someone find this Shelby Kicker Subwoofer? I looked on ShelbyStore.com and couldnt find it. Also would this be a plug and play replacement for the Shaker 1000 or would i need to do some wiring?

The part # was KA-10-Woofer

I'm not sure if its discontinued just from the Shelby Store or if its discontinued by Kicker. Best suggestion is to give Kicker a phone call.

Steven

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/23/2019 at 11:26 AM, SAI-Steven said:

The part # was KA-10-Woofer

I'm not sure if its discontinued just from the Shelby Store or if its discontinued by Kicker. Best suggestion is to give Kicker a phone call.

Steven

I'm looking for one too. I called Kicker and they don't have have one and not making anymore. The customer service rep said its the housing that fits in the trunk area. Special casing made just for 05-09 cars.

13 hours ago, IASHELBYGT said:

I'm looking for one too. I called Kicker and they don't have have one and not making anymore. The customer service rep said its the housing that fits in the trunk area. Special casing made just for 05-09 cars.

Good to know. Thanks for the update.

Steven

• 7 months later...

Not sure if folks are still interested as this post is a little dated, but if still interested in the upgraded subwoofer enclosure for the trunk they have them at American Muscle.  See the link below and this looks like the same one discussed earlier. https://www.americanmuscle.com/kicker-mustang-shaker-style-powered-subwoofer-upgrade-smus05.html

16 hours ago, BAMAFan said:

Not sure if folks are still interested as this post is a little dated, but if still interested in the upgraded subwoofer enclosure for the trunk they have them at American Muscle.  See the link below and this looks like the same one discussed earlier. https://www.americanmuscle.com/kicker-mustang-shaker-style-powered-subwoofer-upgrade-smus05.html

Thanks for sharing that. It looks like they had an extra or something and now it is getting discontinued on their site 😞 

I must of missed that page when i was looking on their site for this product

Edited by ShelbyEra08