TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Hertz

Just now, mhr1961 said:

Why waste energy on hate? It not like Hertz has never rented  Camaros before.....and they were already renting 100th anniversary Corvettes.

I hate them being black and gold like the Hertz Shelby and the Shelby GT H.

The current Hertz Camaro and The Penske Hertz car were black and yellow, The Hertz Shelbys were typically black and gold..……….. some of the 60's generation Hertz Shelby Vehicles were blue and gold, white and gold and red and gold.

Edited by mhr1961

1 hour ago, mhr1961 said:

The current Hertz Camaro and The Penske Hertz car were black and yellow, The Hertz Shelbys were typically black and gold..……….. some of the 60's generation Hertz Shelby Vehicles were blue and gold, white and gold and red and gold.

............and green and gold...and there were even a few white with blue stripes ! 

4 hours ago, HERTZ II said:

............and green and gold...and there were even a few white with blue stripes ! 

yeah I knew there were other colors, just didn't bother looking them up. The point was Hertz Shelbys were typically black and gold, unlike the gold and yellow Camaro and Penske car.

I get that some people may be a bit upset about Shelby and Hertz parting company.. It was bound to happen..... because if you look at who runs Hertz now it is Kathryn Marinello , who is President and Chief Executive Officer at Hertz. She took over at Hertz in December of 2016., which was after the 2016 GTH program was already in the fleet.  She was also a Member of the Board at General Motors from 2009 to 2017. Being a board member of GM , she is likely not keen on pissing  off her fellow GM cronies........or be excited about Shelby Mustangs grabbing attention at Hertz.......... She is likely a big part of the reason  why you see Corvettes and Camaros in the Adrenaline Collection now.....and not Shelby Mustangs.

Edited by mhr1961

16 hours ago, mhr1961 said:

yeah I knew there were other colors, just didn't bother looking them up. The point was Hertz Shelbys were typically black and gold, unlike the gold and yellow Camaro and Penske car.

I get that some people may be a bit upset about Shelby and Hertz parting company.. It was bound to happen..... because if you look at who runs Hertz now it is Kathryn Marinello , who is President and Chief Executive Officer at Hertz. She took over at Hertz in December of 2016., which was after the 2016 GTH program was already in the fleet.  She was also a Member of the Board at General Motors from 2009 to 2017. Being a board member of GM , she is likely not keen on pissing  off her fellow GM cronies........or be excited about Shelby Mustangs grabbing attention at Hertz.......... She is likely a big part of the reason  why you see Corvettes and Camaros in the Adrenaline Collection now.....and not Shelby Mustangs.

Without going into confidential internal discussions, I can say that Shelby American would have been more than happy to build a 2017 GTH perhaps even with additional paint colors and a convertible model being added but what happened, happened and SAI has moved on.

All one has to do is look at the resale values of the 1966 GT350H, the 2006 & 2007 GTH and the 2016 GTH and compare them to the Hertz Penske Mustang and the ZHZ Hertz Corvette and you should get an idea on how the Hertz Camaro will fare.

Thats pretty much all that can be said on a public forum.

Steven

1 hour ago, SAI-Steven said:

Without going into confidential internal discussions, I can say that Shelby American would have been more than happy to build a 2017 GTH perhaps even with additional paint colors and a convertible model being added but what happened, happened and SAI has moved on.

All one has to do is look at the resale values of the 1966 GT350H, the 2006 & 2007 GTH and the 2016 GTH and compare them to the Hertz Penske Mustang and the ZHZ Hertz Corvette and you should get an idea on how the Hertz Camaro will fare.

Steven

..............well said, Steven

4 hours ago, SAI-Steven said:

Steven

Steven , Thanks for the reply.

I am sure it would have been nice to continue the Hertz/Shelby/Ford lineage, and it is good to know that SAI would have liked for that to continue. I am glad you posted a response because some people have mistakenly thought it was SAI’s “fault” that Hertz moved towards GM.

I don’t know the internal details of what transpired, and won’t pretend to…. and realizing such things are indeed confidential, I don’t expect them to be aired here.  I also wasn’t trying to air any laundry. Its public knowledge that Hertz’s current President/CEO  is/was on the GM board for nearly a decade that no doubt had some influence on the direction Hertz was moving towards. 

In addition, about 2 years ago Hertz had also entered into a a huge sponsorship deal with Hendrick Motorsports who have primarily run GM cars in their racing and Hendrick also has a huge network of Chevy dealerships.

The intertwined Sponsorship/Relationship  of Hertz/Hendrick/GM  and the  “C Suite” Level Influence is tough to work against. I may be wrong,  but I don’t see a “Hertz Shelby” being offered again unless there are some “regime” changes at Hertz or the Hertz/Hendrick sponsorship falls apart.

Interesting turn of events,  since Hertz used to be owned by GM from about 1926 to 1953,  then Ford owned Hertz from 1987 up until around 2005/2006. Now they seem to be leaning towards GM again…….

I am glad Shelby was able to partner with SIXT and offer the public a SIXT Shelby GT-S for rental and possible future purchase when they come out of the fleets, and I hope the partnership proves successful for Shelby,Sixt and Ford.

Edited by mhr1961

Interesting read. CEO's can be like revolving doors and history does tend to repeat itself. 

And lessons get re-learned.

No greater pairing of 3 companies than what SA has been a part of for 50 years. 

And then there is that black and gold combo....

Brent

Edited by blz57

On 9/21/2019 at 12:51 PM, blz57 said:

Interesting read. CEO's can be like revolving doors and history does tend to repeat itself. 

And lessons get re-learned.

No greater pairing of 3 companies than what SA has been a part of for 50 years. 

And then there is that black and gold combo....

Brent

Its hard to speculate how long a CEO lasts, some last for 6 months to a year, others 3 to 5 years, then others last decades. Hertz has been an under performer in the stock market for several years now. Since around 2015 it has s gone from around $100/ share and then tanked, and it has been “oscillating” between $13 to $20 for the past 2 to 3 years. Billionaire investor Carl Icahn started buying in to Hertz a couple of years ago. He now owns about 30% of Hertz shares. He also recruited the current CEO and helped get her installed as CEO at Hertz. Icahn understands that Hertz had problems and that it was not a short term solution. I may be wrong, but I don’t think the current CEO is going anywhere any time soon. She has changed some top level management and from what I have read Icahn has faith in her and her team. As a shareholder, I hope he has the right team in place. I don’t like that they have seemed to move more towards GM, but I do see why it happened due to corporate connections . Maybe there will be another Shelby Hertz run in the future, maybe not, but in the meantime, if I travel to Vegas or Florida I will be using SIXT to try out the Shelby GT-S.

Personally I’m glad Shelby moved on, everyone knows it took years to sell under 200 of the last Hertz, that tells me moving on probably should’ve happened earlier.  Good Riddance!!!  At work I rent cars often, I haven’t rented from Hertz in many years, they are the worst of all the options I’ve used.  Partner with National and make a nice Green Special Edition!!!

Edited by carnut12

• 2 months later...
On 9/22/2019 at 5:05 PM, carnut12 said:

Personally I’m glad Shelby moved on, everyone knows it took years to sell under 200 of the last Hertz, that tells me moving on probably should’ve happened earlier.  Good Riddance!!!  At work I rent cars often, I haven’t rented from Hertz in many years, they are the worst of all the options I’ve used.  Partner with National and make a nice Green Special Edition!!!

Times change, but what I perceive of the Hertz business deal; sucks!

On the seemingly flat 16GT-H sales; early high offering sale prices trying to wring the most out of each car was the issue I see here. Then damage repaired cars sat on the lots at a more reasonable price, appropriate for clean units. Putting our GT-H up for comparison to current sales prices, it's value has gone up close to $10k...

Our 2016 GT-H is still taking 1st place trophies alongside new GT350's

Edited by Owenbdk