TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Help on adhesive removal

moabman

I'm swapping spoiler on my car and I used a hair dryer to soften the 3M adhesive tape that attached the stock spoiler support posts to the trunk lid on the 07 GT. It left a lot of adhesive on the trunk lid. Citrus based adhesive remover seems to dissolve it but very slowly. Anyone know of a technique to get the goop off? Also, what should I do to prepare the trunk lid for the adhesive tape on the new GT500 spoiler?

Thanks!

I'm swapping spoiler on my car and I used a hair dryer to soften the 3M adhesive tape that attached the stock spoiler support posts to the trunk lid on the 07 GT. It left a lot of adhesive on the trunk lid. Citrus based adhesive remover seems to dissolve it but very slowly. Anyone know of a technique to get the goop off? Also, what should I do to prepare the trunk lid for the adhesive tape on the new GT500 spoiler?

Thanks!

A product called "Goof-Off" works amazing at removing adhesive. I don't believe it will hurt the paint but I'd read the packaging to make sure before using it.

Thanks guys!

jsalbre-I've got Goop Off and that softens the adhesive but it just smears when I try to wipe it off. I will use it if I can't come up with anything else.

SCGT500- Do you know what the 3M prep sol is made out of? I have some Varsol - is that close?

OK I got it off & here's what I did:

1. 1. Used a hair dryer to soften the adhesive which is a pressure sensitive foam
    2. Used Goop Off, a citrus oil based adhesive remover to soak the remaining foam
    3. Used a flexible spatula from the kitchen to scrape residue off
    4. Used more Goop Off to get remaining adhesive film
    5. Cleaned up are with isopropyl alcohol

The spatula worked great and didn't scratch the surface. This area will be covered by the new GT500 spoiler but I wanted to make sure the new adhesive foam would stick great.

Thanks for help guys!

3M also makes and excellant adhesive remover, works great on weatherstrip adhesive and adhesive foam. Might be less clean up. I have also used charcoal lighter in the past, it is not very flammable, and does not hurt the paint.

Glad you found a method that worked without scratching.

OK I got it off & here's what I did:
  1. 1. Used a hair dryer to soften the adhesive which is a pressure sensitive foam

2. Used Goop Off, a citrus oil based adhesive remover to soak the remaining foam

3. Used a flexible spatula from the kitchen to scrape residue off

4. Used more Goop Off to get remaining adhesive film

5. Cleaned up are with isopropyl alcohol

The spatula worked great and didn't scratch the surface. This area will be covered by the new GT500 spoiler but I wanted to make sure the new adhesive foam would stick great.

Thanks for help guys!

Pics :rant: Man - it's tough getting pics out of you. :redcard:

Archived