TEAM SHELBY FORUM

John Clor Video on Takata Airbag Recall

SAI-Steven

Nice video by John Clor explaining the Takata airbag recall for Mustang & Shelby owners. Will be helpful for the average owner who isn't familiar with what exactly will be replaced.

Glad to see the video highlighting autographed passenger side airbag covers. Wish they would have added that the cars computer "tune" will not be touched as thats something many owners are afraid of happening which it should not.

Steven

https://mustangairbagrecall.com/

1 hour ago, BIKEBOY said:

This guy spells out spot on, the very reason that guys aren’t doing this. Only thing he left out is that the bags are now often being replaced by “lube” techs. That alone is a deal breaker for me. 

Ford has allowed air bag recalls to be done in the Quick Lube lanes. This is for service time reasons. No appointment is necessary. Just go to the service desk to see if the parts are available and if so they will likely direct you to the lube line.  The people doing the work have been trained, but you don't have to wait for a service appointment. The driver side change is a piece of cake and can be done by untrained monkeys.  The passenger side depends on the vehicle and for most it is also simple if the person doing it has done it before (and for most vehicles, they have, lots).   Certain vehicles, e.g., Ford GT would never be shuffled through Lube since the whole lower front compartment has to be removed.  Others are very simple.

I removed the air bag cover on my Shelby GTs.  In order to do so you have to remove the air bag element (the cover is attached).  It's really simple.  

Get the job done.  Especially if you live in a humid area.  (Or if the car was  born in a humid area!!!)  Humidity accelerates the deterioration of the canister.  

You do know that the Takata inflators use Ammonium Nitrate. Fertilizer. That's the same chemical used to blow up the federal building in Oklahoma...    Growing up around that material it's a wonder they ever considered using it. Humidity kills that substance. It's highly corrosive and the humidity just caused the container to melt.

Edited by twobjshelbys

6 hours ago, twobjshelbys said:

Ford has allowed air bag recalls to be done in the Quick Lube lanes. This is for service time reasons. No appointment is necessary. Just go to the service desk to see if the parts are available and if so they will likely direct you to the lube line.  The people doing the work have been trained, but you don't have to wait for a service appointment. The driver side change is a piece of cake and can be done by untrained monkeys.  The passenger side depends on the vehicle and for most it is also simple if the person doing it has done it before (and for most vehicles, they have, lots).   Certain vehicles, e.g., Ford GT would never be shuffled through Lube since the whole lower front compartment has to be removed.  Others are very simple.

I removed the air bag cover on my Shelby GTs.  In order to do so you have to remove the air bag element (the cover is attached).  It's really simple.  

Get the job done.  Especially if you live in a humid area.  (Or if the car was  born in a humid area!!!)  Humidity accelerates the deterioration of the canister.  

You do know that the Takata inflators use Ammonium Nitrate. Fertilizer. That's the same chemical used to blow up the federal building in Oklahoma...    Growing up around that material it's a wonder they ever considered using it. Humidity kills that substance. It's highly corrosive and the humidity just caused the container to melt.

I’m going now Tony. The Boss already had the drivers side done by the Orig owner. But my Gurney needs em both. 

I worry about my wife more than I. 

Soon they won’t be free. They’ll tell everyone we told you to get this done and you didn’t. Tuff titty! It will be real costly on your own dime no doubt. 

2 hours ago, BIKEBOY said:

I’m going now Tony. The Boss already had the drivers side done by the Orig owner. But my Gurney needs em both. 

Soon they won’t be free. They’ll tell everyone we told you to get this done and you didn’t. Tuff titty! It will be real costly on your own dime no doubt. 

Hey buddy, wifey knows best!  :thumbsup:    Get her done!        Just saying!       :whistling:                                               :peelout:

2 hours ago, BIKEBOY said:

:drop:

10 hours ago, BIKEBOY said:

This guy spells out spot on, the very reason that guys aren’t doing this. Only thing he left out is that the bags are now often being replaced by “lube” techs. That alone is a deal breaker for me. 

:shrug:

16 hours ago, ChicagoChris said:

Things may have changed since my days at Ford. But a safety related recall will never be charged to the consumer. 

Federal law trumps that from happening.

Why would Ford ever want to charge for the recall? Ford doesn't pay for the recall, Takata does?

And does anyone not think that Ford dealerships use the recall visit to upsell the owner on other service needs or better yet to have you visit the showroom floor while you are waiting on your cars recall to be completed?

Steven

• 1 month later...
On 9/13/2019 at 12:49 PM, BIKEBOY said:

Good info Steven. Wifee and I just watched this. She told me...” Go get both cars done, NOW!” 

🙄

On 9/13/2019 at 8:43 PM, BIKEBOY said:

On 9/16/2019 at 7:05 AM, SAI-Steven said:

Federal law trumps that from happening.

Why would Ford ever want to charge for the recall? Ford doesn't pay for the recall, Takata does?

And does anyone not think that Ford dealerships use the recall visit to upsell the owner on other service needs or better yet to have you visit the showroom floor while you are waiting on your cars recall to be completed?

Steven

Called the Ford Airbag Replacement Hotline today. 
Told them I wanted the available (in home) repairs performed. 
They didn’t bat an eye....Indian from overseas answering the hotline (very hard to understand his English). 
“We are escalating your claim Mr. Hall, because you have two cars that need the service performed.” I cannot be the first person asking for this available option. 

I will report back after this is over with. Once he sees my garage and the cars, he will know full on why I asked for this. 

Edit- I am grateful they offer this. It’s prolly the only reason I’m doing it. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by BIKEBOY

I requested the mobile repair for two 2008's after receiving a couple of the initial offers that had a phone number and an email contact.  I exchanged a few emails and was told that they would check with the local dealers and get back with me.  That was on Oct 8, 2019 and I have heard nothing else.  Since then, I have received different recall notices on both cars offering home repair in some areas with a different phone number and no email contact information.  I was wondering if they changed departments handling the recalls.

7 hours ago, dragpack70 said:

I requested the mobile repair for two 2008's after receiving a couple of the initial offers that had a phone number and an email contact.  I exchanged a few emails and was told that they would check with the local dealers and get back with me.  That was on Oct 8, 2019 and I have heard nothing else.  Since then, I have received different recall notices on both cars offering home repair in some areas with a different phone number and no email contact information.  I was wondering if they changed departments handling the recalls.

I have a stack of these glossy cards. In fact, I threw away hundreds of them after they told me they’d be in touch with my “escalated claim”. I too have several with different phone #’s. I’ve heard nothing from a soul about my “claim #”. 

Must really be a serious problem. 

13 hours ago, BIKEBOY said:

I have a stack of these glossy cards. In fact, I threw away hundreds of them after they told me they’d be in touch with my “escalated claim”. I too have several with different phone #’s. I’ve heard nothing from a soul about my “claim #”. 

Must really be a serious problem. 

Hey BB, don’t you think we all care how the dealer services our cherished cars, yes, we all do and driving the cars without this fix is very dangerous for the occupants.   Just forget all the past (Bull***) that was involved in this air bag endeavor and make the appointment with the nearest Ford dealer to get your cars fixed, but also ask nicely that you want to be able to be right there watching as they do the repair to your cherished cars.  I had mine done a while back and explained to the service guys what I wanted and expected them to do, so there was no problem later, and everything was cool for both sides.   They took good care of me and it didn’t take to long at all.   :salute:

P.S. Hey BB, I think you’ll be very happy when all this (Air-bag) crap is said and done and it won’t fester on ya any more.    :shrug:         J.M.O.      :peelout:Later bud!

11 hours ago, Mongoose said:

Hey BB, don’t you think we all care how the dealer services our cherished cars, yes, we all do and driving the cars without this fix is very dangerous for the occupants.   Just forget all the past (Bull***) that was involved in this air bag endeavor and make the appointment with the nearest Ford dealer to get your cars fixed, but also ask nicely that you want to be able to be right there watching as they do the repair to your cherished cars.  I had mine done a while back and explained to the service guys what I wanted and expected them to do, so there was no problem later, and everything was cool for both sides.   They took good care of me and it didn’t take to long at all.   :salute:

P.S. Hey BB, I think you’ll be very happy when all this (Air-bag) crap is said and done and it won’t fester on ya any more.    :shrug:         J.M.O.      :peelout:Later bud!

Mawrnin Goose. It’s not festering. It is what it is. Just sharing...that’s all. 
I will shut up about it now. ✌️

3 hours ago, BIKEBOY said:

Mawrnin Goose. It’s not festering. It is what it is. Just sharing...that’s all. 
I will shut up about it now. ✌️

Hey BB, good afternoon!    There’s nothing wrong with sharing your feelings, that’s actually good for ya bud, don’t keep it in, let it all out.  Were all here for ya, and don’t feel like we want you to shut up.   That whole (air bag disaster) is a big pain in the butt, for sure.  In reality, we both know sooner or later they’ll have to be changed out, it’s really just a matter of time, just saying.  :)    I hope I didn’t flat spot your tires, I was just trying to help.   :thumbsup:   :hide:         Later bud!             :peelout:

I finally took my 07SGT in for the passenger side (has driver's side done 2 yrs ago) last month on a sunny day.

When I pulled into the service write-up area all stopped to look and talk about the car. I told the SVR Mgr I'd like to meet the tech that will be working on my car.

About 20 minutes later a late 20's tech comes out and I walk him around the car explaining how/why I keep it so clean. Also asked how he was going to perform the repair.  

He had the recall done in 20 minutes with the utmost care and actually brought me the cylinder to show me the surface rust.  

I do all my own work on the car and hate taking it to a dealership  However, as long as you handle the dealership accordingly, you can get great results.  

• 3 weeks later...

One of the Ford Stealers near my home here in Scottsdale has agreed to come to the house and do both cars. Tomorrow morning, 8am. 
I’m gonna spiff the tech who comes out, and then drop by the stealership and spiff the service guy that so graciously arranged all this. 

They told me on the Ford hotline that this is NOT a guarantee in every area, so I feel very lucky. 

9 hours ago, BIKEBOY said:

One of the Ford Stealers near my home here in Scottsdale has agreed to come to the house and do both cars. Tomorrow morning, 8am. 
I’m gonna spiff the tech who comes out, and then drop by the stealership and spiff the service guy that so graciously arranged all this. 

They told me on the Ford hotline that this is NOT a guarantee in every area, so I feel very lucky. 

Hey BB, “Kudos” to you bud!   You finely pulled the trigger on setting it up and getting it done!   Now you and G can go for a cruise and feel safe again, very cool.   :peelout:

On 11/25/2019 at 11:12 PM, Mongoose said:

Hey BB, “Kudos” to you bud!   You finely pulled the trigger on setting it up and getting it done!   Now you and G can go for a cruise and feel safe again, very cool.   :peelout:

Yes sirree! Done. The garage door opened up at 6:30 am (he was early and it was still sorta dark). He said “whooooaa, now I get why you wanted us to come out.”  😝

I recommend anyone else that feels like I did, to force the issue. If you stand your ground, they will come out. 

Edit- BTW fellas, the latest “data” on ALL of the Takata air bag recalls, according to him, is that only 1/2 are completed as of right now. He said this is why Ford has resorted to offering the in-home service  

Edited by BIKEBOY

7 hours ago, BIKEBOY said:

Yes sirree! Done. The garage door opened up at 6:30 am (he was early and it was still sorta dark). He said “whooooaa, now I get why you wanted us to come out.”  😝

I recommend anyone else that feels like I did, to force the issue. If you stand your ground, they will come out. 

Edit- BTW fellas, the latest “data” on ALL of the Takata air bag recalls, according to him, is that only 1/2 are completed as of right now. He said this is why Ford has resorted to offering the in-home service  

:thumbsup: Congrats to you BB!  You got it done, now go have some fun..... :peelout:

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, case12 said:

I have the added Berg Snake steering wheel button designed to go over the mustang logo (which is taken off to fit). It is metal and I have only seen one or two. I had to use a special Roush insert to fit. Will they take that away with the replacement?

‘05-‘09 drivers side gets an actuator ONLY....No horn pad. ‘10- up get a horn pad, replete with new horse center emblem. 

I have both, so I know 👍

5 minutes ago, BIKEBOY said:

‘05-‘09 drivers side gets an actuator ONLY....No horn pad. ‘10- up get a horn pad, replete with new horse center emblem. 

I have both, so I know 👍

If they are replacing anything but the inflator they are overdoing it.  Reports have been received of that happening but all they have to do is remove the inflator from the assembly and swap it.    If you have a custom center it can be preserved.

7 hours ago, BIKEBOY said:

I have both, so I know 👍

I had a custom Barrett Jackson Logo on a Roush Insert on my 2008 Shelby BJ     I was very concerned about doing the repair but the Ford Dealer in my city did not replace the horn assembly.   Its all good...…...…..  GG

• 1 month later...

Quick question on the 13-14 airbag replacement for the driver's side. In the video, he states that it's only 2 bolts and he shows the the back of the steering wheel cover that has been removed. He then mentions that for the 13-14 models, the whole airbag is replaced, but he doesn't show that, nor does he mention what additional steps are involved for the 13-14 (such as what else might need to be removed), if there are any.

Can anyone clarify what exactly is needed for the driver's side on the 13-14? Is it still just 2 bolts or are there other steps needed to replace the whole air bag? My '13 is a garage queen at the moment (for the winter weather) so I'm looking into this on the off season.

Thanks!