TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Paxton Shelby GT/SC California Smog Check Drama

CSSHELBYKID

Hey Team Shelby,

I am in need of some help/advice regarding an issue we are having with our 2007 Shelby GT/SC with it getting to pass smog. But first, a little back story...

As some of you may recall, my Dad (ShelbyGuy) passed away a few years ago, but we are very fortunate enough to still have all of our cars, including my Dads' Paxton Supercharged Shelby GT/SC. The car was delivered to my dad in September of 2007, as one of the few that had the Shelby Paxton superchargers on it. To this day, the car is just as it came from the Shelby factory, and has not been modified performance-wise at all. Being a resident of California, we (unfortunately) have to get the car smog-checked every other year, and has ALWAYS passed with no issues. Fast forward to two weeks ago, we finally get a chance to get the car out of our garage to take it to get smogged. Of course, we drove it for quite some time, to make sure that the car was plenty warm, and time for the computer monitors to wake up. We head to our local smog station, which we have always used in the past, and hand them our paperwork for them to scan. Keep in mind that the car was not even hooked up to the machine or even had the hood opened up yet, and the guy comes back to us to say that the computer came back saying that "this vehicle must be seen by a smog referee"!!!!! So we make an appt with the nearest, not-so local (50+ miles away) referee station. We have all possible needed paperwork for the vehicle and supercharger etc... After completing the OBD2 Diagnostic test, the car FAILS due to the fact that the tune on the car apparently has the Catalytic Monitors turned off, saying "Unsupported." As per the referee, in order to pass, the Cat Monitors must be Supported. The car has had no exhaust modifications. I do know that there is a difference between "Unsupported" and "Not Ready." ("Not Ready means that the monitors have not reset yet). The smog referee said that it technically still passes the emissions test, but not the OBD2 Diagnostic test. Apparently now California is getting a lot more nosey and strict about vehicle emissions and is wanting to see the status of every monitor in the car, in addition to the emissions test. The scary thing is that their new computer systems can see EVERYTHING about the vehicle. Even how many times the car has started up and how far it has driven since the last check...

I have talked to Shelby, and Paxton. The guys at Shelby were very helpful and said that they do not have Tune files that go back that far, and that I need to talk to LUND Racing about getting a custom tune. Paxton, I am sorry to say, was very unhelpful. 

I do have the Diablo Predator handheld Program Tuner that came with the car from Shelby, and I have tried messing around with it to see if it is possible to just turn the monitor back on with the click of a button, but I am by no means skilled or knowledgeable about computer tuning. Does anyone have any knowledge on if the Diablo Tuner can do such things, or am I forced to spend $300+ on getting a custom tune done, just to turn the Cat Monitor on. I really love how the car is right now, and do not want to change a thing about how it runs or drives, just would like to be able to register it so we can drive it!!

So, has anyone else here had the same, or similar issue? If so, I greatly appreciate any kind of feedback/help that can be shared.

Sorry about lengthy post regarding this issue, but I hope someone here can lead me down the right path.

Thanks!!

CSSHEBYKID

Edited by CSSHELBYKID

You will not be able to turn on the monitors yourself .  be careful putting any other tune on the car. If the tune in it features any other part the factory tune could render the car inoperable without the original part back. A favorite is a different mass air flow sensor

Edited by twobjshelbys

1 hour ago, twobjshelbys said:

You will not be able to turn on the monitors yourself .  be careful putting any other tune on the car. If the tune in it features any other part the factory tune could render the car inoperable without the original part back. A favorite is a different mass air flow sensor

Thanks for the info!! Based upon my research, I would need the computer software that dynotuning shops use. Correct??

CSSHELBYKID

2 hours ago, CSSHELBYKID said:

Thanks for the info!! Based upon my research, I would need the computer software that dynotuning shops use. Correct??

CSSHELBYKID

Hey Kid, wish you the best on getting this all resolved and the best of luck with your research for your rare Paxton Supercharged Shelby GT/SC  tune for passing California emissions.          Good luck Kid!  :thumbsup:

17 minutes ago, Mongoose said:

Hey Kid, wish you the best on getting this all resolved and the best of luck with your research for your rare Paxton Supercharged Shelby GT/SC  tune for passing California emissions.          Good luck Kid!  :thumbsup:

Thanks Mongoose! I've already done countless hours of research and calls to try and resolve this issue. All I want to do is drive this amazing shelby and honor my dad in the best way I know, and California has to try their best throw a very big wrench at me. Haha 

CSSHELBYKID

CA has been throwing wrenches for quite some time. Unfortunately they're getting bigger wrenches all the time and aiming at anything that's fun, enjoyable or pleasant.Having been born and raised in S. CA I saw it all. I swore I'd never leave, nothing could get me out of paradise...after one too many wrenches, we're now in Texas!

Best of luck with your dilemma but I'm afraid it won't be easy. 

CSShelbyKid, what is the cars CSM number?

The cat monitors would be in no way "turned off" with the Paxton Diablo tune, Paxton could not have received a CARB Exemption number if that was the case.

So the question is has the tune been modified at some point or has the car not been driven enough since being taken out of storage.

You do understand that just driving the car to "warm it up" no longer applies to newer vehicles. The car must go thorough many start & stop driving cycles with various speeds and cool down periods before restarting. Basically how someone would drive the car over several days. Cold start to go to work, car cools down during the day and another cold to warm restart takes place leaving work. Car stops at the grocery store on the way home from work and has a hot restart 15 minutes later. Car is driven from highway speeds to stop & go traffic speeds. Again just like how a car would generally be driven on a day to day basis.

You do not have the only Paxton equipped Shelby in California so we have to figure out what the difference is between your Shelby and others.

Steven

You need to really get one of the OBDII-Bluetooth readers and go for the OBIII readiness status and see for yourself what it says.  If indeed the "catalyst" (and O2 sensors) have been DISABLED it would tell you.  Otherwise it would say not ready.  I had to go through this with my GT.  The tune turned off (I forgot what words exactly showed up in the OBDII status, maybe "not present" or "disabled"). They disabled front and rear O2 sensors, catalyst and EGR system.  In the end I returned the factory tune, swapped back the factory MAF (car would only run for a few seconds before turning off with the post-tune MAF).  Then I had to run the whole drive cycle that steve metioned.  If your OBDII status simply shows "not ready" then run the drive cycle...  After having gone through it on several vehicles besides the almost 300 miles it took on the GT just going open loop, I found that the best way is to drive for about 20 miles on a loop that has both a little freeway and city street.  Then tackle the incomplete tests with the specific sequence it calls for. E.g., one might say "from a stop accelerate to 30mph, slowly stop, then accelerate to 40, then 50".  Find an open stretch of road and do that sequence and the particular test will clear in real time.   One will be the evap system tests, consider getting a new gas cap (or at least replacing the by now hard and brittle O-ring on your existing one.  I swap the ring since I like the retainer attachment on the stock cap).

I use the Torque (free) app on all vehicles. It only works on Android.  The Torque app lists a few bluetooth OBDII readers that are compatible.

I will concur that your car sounds like it wasn't one of the early Paxtons that snuck through before CARB was denied.  While it didn't get CARB my recollection of those were they were a previous year CARB compliant and would have had a 50-state tune and no state with OBDII emissions would ever allow the catalyst/O2 to be disabled.

12 hours ago, CSSHELBYKID said:

Thanks Mongoose! I've already done countless hours of research and calls to try and resolve this issue. All I want to do is drive this amazing shelby and honor my dad in the best way I know, and California has to try their best throw a very big wrench at me. Haha 

CSSHELBYKID

Hey Kid, hang in there!   Yes, the Shelby GTs are amazing machines!   I think it’s really cool that you want to honor your dad driving this amazing Shelby he owned.   Take your time and as you said do your research, and I think it will all work out for you in the end!   :thumbsup:      Hopefully someone will come thru for you with the information you’ll need to fix your current problem.      All the best, Kidd!                    Mongoose

4 hours ago, SAI-Steven said:

CSShelbyKid, what is the cars CSM number?

The cat monitors would be in no way "turned off" with the Paxton Diablo tune, Paxton could not have received a CARB Exemption number if that was the case.

So the question is has the tune been modified at some point or has the car not been driven enough since being taken out of storage.

You do understand that just driving the car to "warm it up" no longer applies to newer vehicles. The car must go thorough many start & stop driving cycles with various speeds and cool down periods before restarting. Basically how someone would drive the car over several days. Cold start to go to work, car cools down during the day and another cold to warm restart takes place leaving work. Car stops at the grocery store on the way home from work and has a hot restart 15 minutes later. Car is driven from highway speeds to stop & go traffic speeds. Again just like how a car would generally be driven on a day to day basis.

You do not have the only Paxton equipped Shelby in California so we have to figure out what the difference is between your Shelby and others.

Steven

The CSM is 07SGT0043. Before doing the test we drove probably 60+ miles both in town and freeway at varying speeds, making sure to get the car in to boost and obviously putting a very big smile on my face 😄

The car was tuned on and off multiple times. We basically used it as our main car for the few days leading up to the test. I asked the referee if it was just that the monitors weren't ready, and he replied saying that their computer would come back saying that the monitor was "not ready", not "unsupported". I did show him the paperwork that has the E.O. (Executive Order #D-195-21), which obviously matches the one stamped on to the supercharger itself. He said that I needed to talk either Paxton or Shelby about getting the correct tune that matches that E.O #. I told him that this car is just as it came from Shelby, so there is no reason why it would have any tune on other than the one approved by CA by the E.O #. I know for sure that my dad never messed with the tune. 

CSSHELBYKID

Edited by CSSHELBYKID

2 hours ago, twobjshelbys said:

You need to really get one of the OBDII-Bluetooth readers and go for the OBIII readiness status and see for yourself what it says.  If indeed the "catalyst" (and O2 sensors) have been DISABLED it would tell you.  Otherwise it would say not ready.  I had to go through this with my GT.  The tune turned off (I forgot what words exactly showed up in the OBDII status, maybe "not present" or "disabled"). They disabled front and rear O2 sensors, catalyst and EGR system.  In the end I returned the factory tune, swapped back the factory MAF (car would only run for a few seconds before turning off with the post-tune MAF).  Then I had to run the whole drive cycle that steve metioned.  If your OBDII status simply shows "not ready" then run the drive cycle...  After having gone through it on several vehicles besides the almost 300 miles it took on the GT just going open loop, I found that the best way is to drive for about 20 miles on a loop that has both a little freeway and city street.  Then tackle the incomplete tests with the specific sequence it calls for. E.g., one might say "from a stop accelerate to 30mph, slowly stop, then accelerate to 40, then 50".  Find an open stretch of road and do that sequence and the particular test will clear in real time.   One will be the evap system tests, consider getting a new gas cap (or at least replacing the by now hard and brittle O-ring on your existing one.  I swap the ring since I like the retainer attachment on the stock cap).

I use the Torque (free) app on all vehicles. It only works on Android.  The Torque app lists a few bluetooth OBDII readers that are compatible.

I will concur that your car sounds like it wasn't one of the early Paxtons that snuck through before CARB was denied.  While it didn't get CARB my recollection of those were they were a previous year CARB compliant and would have had a 50-state tune and no state with OBDII emissions would ever allow the catalyst/O2 to be disabled.

Yeah I do need to get a true OBD2 reader. The Diablo tuner has the ability to read and clear codes, but not show monitor status, unfortunately.

CSSHELBYKID

On 8/30/2019 at 2:08 PM, CSSHELBYKID said:

. I did show him the paperwork that has the E.O. (Executive Order #D-195-21), which obviously matches the one stamped on to the supercharger itself. He said that I needed to talk either Paxton or Shelby about getting the correct tune that matches that E.O #. I told him that this car is just as it came from Shelby, so there is no reason why it would have any tune on other than the one approved by CA by the E.O #. I know for sure that my dad never messed with the tune. 

CSSHELBYKID

And how did the smog referee come to the conclusion the car no longer has the correct tune? Any chance the referee wrote down the tune serial/part # ?

And just to confirm, no other mods have been made to the car? 

Steven

I think he came to the conclusion that it did not have the correct tune, based upon the OBD2 Diagnostics Test came back showing that the Catalyst Monitors are "Unsupported" and I guess maybe he thinks that because maybe in order for Paxton to be able to get the E.O # from CARB, that it has to have the CAT Monitor "Supported." And Yes, the car is unmodified from the Paxton GT/SC package installed by Shelby in 2007. I did talk to another person at Paxton this past week, who was very helpful. He was confused as well why the tune would have the monitor turned off, because he says that Paxton does not, and will not sell that package with a tune that way. He said that I should do a DataLog, and send the handheld Diablo Predator tuner to them, so that they could take a look at what is up with the tune...

I wonder if Paxton would have been or was able to get the E.O. # and the OK from C.A.R.B. with the CAT Monitors Unsupported in the tune?

Hoping and praying that this can be resolved soon, so we can enjoy the car before winter hits.

CSSHELBYKID

Edited by CSSHELBYKID

1 hour ago, twobjshelbys said:

Did shelby factory gt/sc conversions include the tuner?  it's been a while but I'm fairly certain neither of mine did.  Stave?  if sai didn't and yours did that would point to third party

Yes the Paxton kit came with a Diablo tuner with the Paxton tune preloaded on it. But the question is, was this Diablo tuner tool given to the owner by SAI?

You would think so but I certainly can't guarantee that it was.

I've been hoping that Harold, 06H0050 would come into this thread with his  Paxton experience and hopefully Harold can let us know if he was given a Diablo tuner tool.

Below is a photo of what the tuner tool looks like. Blue/green translucent plastic case with real cheap blister/membrane type buttons.

image.png

Ok going by what we know I'm going to take the position that the car needs to go through the lengthy drive cycle to bring all the monitors into a "ready" state. Unfortunately I've have a bias towards the State referee's as not always knowing what they are talking about so I'm leaning towards the referee is misreading the state of readiness. Let me take a guess, the referee works at your local community college?

If I were you I would follow the driving cycle instructions below to the letter and I'd probably do it more than once on different days.

The only thing that has changed from previous smog checks performed on the car is that the car has sat in storage.

http://www.obdii.com/drivecycleford.html

3 hours ago, SAI-Steven said:

This is the process you need to follow.  Believe it or not I had to do some quick repairs on my daughter's 2000 Ford Focus.  Had to clear a pending code after changing air filter and cleaning MAF.  Did a quick loop up the freeway and back and cleared all but three of the "not ready".  Followed the specific two for the easy ones and cleared them.  The last remaining one was the evap but it was too hot to run (IAT was 90*F, it has to be <85).    All of them took about 25 miles.

Here's a screen shot of the status on a previous attempt.  She had driven to work twice.

Screenshot_20190831-181132_Torque (Lite)_01.JPG

Edited by twobjshelbys

I'm hoping that the issue is simply that the monitor is not ready, and just needs driven. Besides, who in their right minds would refuse the urge or opportunity to drive this sucker!!!:peelout:  I borrowed my friends OBD2 reader. Based upon what it says, it also claims that there is 4 Monitors Unsupported (Some, such as EGR and Secondary A/C are not relevant...) including the Cat Monitor and that there is 0 monitors that are "Not Ready." If you see in the pics attached below, the monitor has a circle with line through it. According to the manual, the reader would show a Red X if it was "Not Ready."

I actually spoke to Harold 06H0050 on the phone after this issue to see if he had any similar issues, since he lives quite close to me and has a very similar vehicle setup. And I believe he does have the Diablo Tuner as well. 

I will definitely try out the drive cycle anyways. Hopefully that changes things. 

I attached a PDF Link of what the smog referee printed out for me. And yes, it was at a local community college. He claimed that he is technically an employee of BAR, but who knows... :headscratch:

GTSC Smog

GTSC Smog 2

OBD2 Pic 1

OBD2 Pic 2

Also.... I would absolutely like to thank EVERYONE here who has thrown out their thoughts and suggestions so far. I really do appreciate all of the help. :love_shower:

CSSHELBYKID

Edited by CSSHELBYKID

If you notice on the smog check referee documents there are only two choices, completed and unsupported. No where on those documents are the words not ready which leads me to believe that unsupported also means not ready, at least not on the referee's machine.

So if the car has not been modified since leaving Shelby American that only leaves the car being in storage and not being driven enough to set the monitors.

Follow the process in the link below and odds are problem will be solved. If it was me I would repeat this driveability process on two separate days just for added assurance. Or if you still have your friends OBD-ii reader, check the monitors after the first driveability process to see if you are good to go.

Steven

My interpretation differs from Steve.  Note the last pic shows a distinct category for "readiness completed (6)", "readiness not completed (0)" and "readiness not supported (4)".   Your car has two of the most famous tuner bypasses - catalyst and EGR shown as "unsupported" which to me means they have been erased from monitor status.  That is what the emissions guys don't like.

I'm looking for a picture of my GT before I restored the factory tune but I'm pretty sure it used the word "unsupported" for the monitors that the tune had disabled.     if they are really turned off you can drive a million miles and repeat the drive cycle from now until infinity and they will never "complete".    I really think you should go back to the same person and ask for precise definitions of the words.  Sending the tuner to Paxton might be a good thing to do so they can look inside to see what was done to the current tune.  However, you should NOT simply put a Paxton tune back in the car without completely understanding what was done that motivated the disabling of the underlying monitors.  The only reason to disable them is if they would not pass or another change that would throw false check engine codes.  If that change is not "undone" then the factory tune could render the car inoperable.  For example on my Ford GT the complete tune included a different Mass Air Flow sensor and throttle body that changed the air flow over the EGR venturi.  The car with the original tune wouldn't run without the original MAF and the EGR system threw a Check Engine fault until the factory throttle body was put back.    

Here is a screen shot of the tune when all of the monitors are disabled.  Unfortunately I don't believe there is a universal standard term used when a monitor is disabled.  In the case of Torque it appears they use "Not avail". 

new tune_01.JPG

Edited by twobjshelbys

2 hours ago, twobjshelbys said:

My interpretation differs from Steve.  Note the last pic shows a distinct category for "readiness completed (6)", "readiness not completed (0)" and "readiness not supported (4)".   Your car has two of the most famous tuner bypasses - catalyst and EGR shown as "unsupported" which to me means they have been erased from monitor status.  That is what the emissions guys don't like.

I'm looking for a picture of my GT before I restored the factory tune but I'm pretty sure it used the word "unsupported" for the monitors that the tune had disabled.     if they are really turned off you can drive a million miles and repeat the drive cycle from now until infinity and they will never "complete".    I really think you should go back to the same person and ask for precise definitions of the words.  Sending the tuner to Paxton might be a good thing to do so they can look inside to see what was done to the current tune.  However, you should NOT simply put a Paxton tune back in the car without completely understanding what was done that motivated the disabling of the underlying monitors.  The only reason to disable them is if they would not pass or another change that would throw false check engine codes.  If that change is not "undone" then the factory tune could render the car inoperable.  For example on my Ford GT the complete tune included a different Mass Air Flow sensor and throttle body that changed the air flow over the EGR venturi.  The car with the original tune wouldn't run without the original MAF and the EGR system threw a Check Engine fault until the factory throttle body was put back.    

Here is a screen shot of the tune when all of the monitors are disabled.  Unfortunately I don't believe there is a universal standard term used when a monitor is disabled.  In the case of Torque it appears they use "Not avail". 

new tune_01.JPG

I had the same thoughts, since the reader said that there was (0) monitors "not ready." I plugged the reader in to our other Shelby GT (Stock) and our 06/07 GT-Hs, and they all say that EGR and Heated Cat is Unsupported, and based upon my research, the 2005+ 4.6L 3v did not have EGR or Heated CATS, so I don't think I have to worry about those.

When you say that if the change was not undone, it could render the car inoperable, does that mean that before any kind of new tune is done to the car I first need to set the car back to stock tune?? Also: What is it about a certain tune that would throw false Check Engine Codes? Ideally, I hope to be able to have the monitors turned back on, without changing the way the car feels, runs, and drives. In my eyes it perfect the way it is. Do you think that an entire new custom tune is needed in order to remedy this issue? And if so, would it change the way the car runs/drives/feels.

Forgive me if the answers are simple, as I know nothing about car tuning. :kookie:

CSSHELBYKID 

19 hours ago, twobjshelbys said:

My interpretation differs from Steve. 

And there is no problem with that :)

My judgment on what could be going on  here is being made  mainly with the OP's statement that his father never changed a thing, including the tune.  So if we are to believe the tune has had certain segments turned off, that would mean they were turned off by Paxton or SAI and that would open the door for huge fines/penalties to be imposed on  both Paxton and Shelby American  for installing a non-compliant tune using a CARB compliant EO number. I can't speak for Paxton but I guarantee Shelby American is not going to take that risk.

Don't forget that the OP has previously not had any smog check issues so what has changed? If the cat monitors were turned off from the day one then why did the car not fail its test before?

So if nothing has been changed on the car and if the car has passed smog checks for the last 12 years then that only leaves the car has not been driven enough to "wake up / reset" all the monitors.

Steven

15 hours ago, SAI-Steven said:

And there is no problem with that :)

My judgment on what could be going on  here is being made  mainly with the OP's statement that his father never changed a thing, including the tune.  So if we are to believe the tune has had certain segments turned off, that would mean they were turned off by Paxton or SAI and that would open the door for huge fines/penalties to be imposed on  both Paxton and Shelby American  for installing a non-compliant tune using a CARB compliant EO number. I can't speak for Paxton but I guarantee Shelby American is not going to take that risk.

Don't forget that the OP has previously not had any smog check issues so what has changed? If the cat monitors were turned off from the day one then why did the car not fail its test before?

So if nothing has been changed on the car and if the car has passed smog checks for the last 12 years then that only leaves the car has not been driven enough to "wake up / reset" all the monitors.

Steven

I certainly do not wish to get any party in trouble, especially Shelby. IF the issue with the monitors was there from the start, I would believe it to be simply a mistake or an overlook. And if so, I would believe it to be Paxtons' mistake, as it was their tune that Shelby installed. If this were the case, I imagine that the tune was likely installed by Shelby using the handheld Diablo tuner, and therefore, Shelby wouldn't have any way of knowing that the monitors were off...

And let it also be known that I am in no way blaming or pointing fingers at any party(s). Things happen. And besides, I can't say that California is the easiest state to appease. 

As for the fact that the car having passed smog for the past 12 years, it is basically because California changed their methods of testing from the "sniffer test" to now plugging in to the OBD2 port to look at monitors. As I am told, California is now more worried about the monitor status, and less about the actual exhaust output. Who knows what the reasoning behind the change was. 

I know that my issue will get resolved eventually. I can say for sure that I am VERY THANKFUL for everyones input and help on this matter. I am only a 23 year old "kid," and without my dad here to deal with the problem and/or help me, I am very glad that I have the Team Shelby community here to help me. I know for sure that my dad would be very thankful that everyone here has taken the time out of their busy days to help me out.☺️

CSSHELBYKID

Edited by CSSHELBYKID

9 hours ago, CSSHELBYKID said:

I certainly do not wish to get any party in trouble, especially Shelby. IF the issue with the monitors was there from the start, I would believe it to be simply a mistake or an overlook. And if so, I would believe it to be Paxtons' mistake, as it was their tune that Shelby installed. If this were the case, I imagine that the tune was likely installed by Shelby using the handheld Diablo tuner, and therefore, Shelby wouldn't have any way of knowing that the monitors were off...

And let it also be known that I am in no way blaming or pointing fingers at any party(s). Things happen. And besides, I can't say that California is the easiest state to appease. 

As for the fact that the car having passed smog for the past 12 years, it is basically because California changed their methods of testing from the "sniffer test" to now plugging in to the OBD2 port to look at monitors. As I am told, California is now more worried about the monitor status, and less about the actual exhaust output. Who knows what the reasoning behind the change was. 

I know that my issue will get resolved eventually. I can say for sure that I am VERY THANKFUL for everyones input and help on this matter. I am only a 23 year old "kid," and without my dad here to deal with the problem and/or help me, I am very glad that I have the Team Shelby community here to help me. I know for sure that my dad would be very thankful that everyone here has taken the time out of their busy days to help me out.☺️

CSSHELBYKID

At this point in time the odds of anyone getting in "trouble" are about zero and thats only if somebody knowingly did something illegal, which I believe is not the case here. 

Yes the smog check procedures have changed throughout the years but I guarantee you this is not the first time a smog check technician has hooked up their machine to your cars obd-ii diagnostic connector so if the monitors were turned off from day one, why were you not flagged before?

Why is Harold's GTH and several other Paxton equipped cars NOT being flagged for turned off monitors? Why is the referee not saying, yeah we never used to look at monitors before, we just started last month and thats how we flagged your car this time and not previously?

Something has recently changed with your car that is not affecting other Paxton cars. Going by the facts you are providing  us the only change was your car sat in storage and the cars computer cleared its driving memory which takes up back to you have not driven your car enough or have not driven it following the Ford recommended procedures to set the monitors.

Until that is ruled out we are only take guesses at why only your Paxton and not other Paxtons is being flagged.

Steven

• 4 weeks later...

Just read the whole thread.  I have not been as active as in the past.  To start with my car is registered in Toulumne County which does not require smog checks.  That said, while checking on my over heating issue from Snakes @ The Lake back in June, we did hook up a Lemur Vehicle Monitor blue tooth Blue Driver.  We had zero trouble codes, zero pending and zero permanent codes.  We did get a power train  control module code, P1000.  It means the car has not been driven to check that all sensors are working  OBD2 sensors.  I hope to tackle the heating issue this coming week ( stuck thermostat I hope).  Once done we will connect the reader and drive the car and check all sensors.  I did get the Diablo also with the Paxton install that Shelby did and I have not done any retune to date.   I also been in contact with Kid.  Interesting read 

Edited by H0050

• 3 weeks later...

Did some more looking into this.  Connected a OBD reader.  CAT on my Paxton car also not supported

On 9/5/2019 at 8:39 AM, SAI-Steven said:

If you notice on the smog check referee documents there are only two choices, completed and unsupported. No where on those documents are the words not ready which leads me to believe that unsupported also means not ready, at least not on the referee's machine.

So if the car has not been modified since leaving Shelby American that only leaves the car being in storage and not being driven enough to set the monitors.

Follow the process in the link below and odds are problem will be solved. If it was me I would repeat this driveability process on two separate days just for added assurance. Or if you still have your friends OBD-ii reader, check the monitors after the first driveability process to see if you are good to go.

Steven

Hello Steve, Kid and I hooked up an OBD reader today to my car which I just drove earlier in the day.  It also shows the CAT monitors (not supported).    No change from the Shelby install Sept 2009.  That being said, this has not been an issue so far since my car is registered in Toulumne County and does not require smog checks at this time.  This would be an issue in some other CA county.  Interesting.    

12 hours ago, H0050 said:

Did some more looking into this.  Connected a OBD reader.  CAT on my Paxton car also not supported

Hello Steve, Kid and I hooked up an OBD reader today to my car which I just drove earlier in the day.  It also shows the CAT monitors (not supported).    No change from the Shelby install Sept 2009.  That being said, this has not been an issue so far since my car is registered in Toulumne County and does not require smog checks at this time.  This would be an issue in some other CA county.  Interesting.    

Sounds like we need someone with a stock, non-supercharged California GTH to scan their computer to see if the cats are supported. This way we can narrow it down to all GTH's have non supported cats or is it just Paxton tuned GTH's.

Steven

4 hours ago, SAI-Steven said:

Sounds like we need someone with a stock, non-supercharged California GTH to scan their computer to see if the cats are supported. This way we can narrow it down to all GTH's have non supported cats or is it just Paxton tuned GTH's.

Steven

I checked that prior with both of my Families’ 2006 and 2007 GT-H in addition to my stock 2007 Shelby GT. All showed supported. 

CSSHELBYKID 

5 minutes ago, CSSHELBYKID said:

I checked that prior with both of my Families’ 2006 and 2007 GT-H in addition to my stock 2007 Shelby GT. All showed supported. 

CSSHELBYKID 

Good to know, so it sounds like Paxton's tune turned them off. The good news is the Paxton tune has an EO number, the bad news is that it appears owners may be forced to a referee station and that scenario has its own problems.

Steven