TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Hi New memeber looking for production numbers for 87 Chargers

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, I am looking to see what the break down of production Shelby chargers were for 1987.

I have acquired an 87 charger but it doesn't have a sunroof. I read somewhere that ALL 1987 Shelby chargers were produced

with sunroofs. If anyone has any info on production numbers, that would be most help full and appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

12 hours ago, Midnightmopar said:

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, I am looking to see what the break down of production Shelby chargers were for 1987.

I have acquired an 87 charger but it doesn't have a sunroof. I read somewhere that ALL 1987 Shelby chargers were produced

with sunroofs. If anyone has any info on production numbers, that would be most help full and appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Yes all 1987 Shelby Chargers had a sunroof as part of the Shelby package. Years ago there was a Shelby Charger owner on one of the Shelby Dodge forums swearing up & down that he had a Shelby Charger with a sunroof delete and no matter how many times he was informed that was not the case he just argued it was true because thats what the seller told him.

And wouldn't you know it down the road he came back with his tail between his legs saying that he had removed, I believe the headliner, and low and behold there was a different paint color roof on his car complete with amateur welds holding it on.

So in my opinion you have either a regular Charger that perhaps someone transferred Shelby Charger parts over to or you have an owner modified Shelby Charger. So unless you can provide the cars original Monroney label or production build sheet showing no sunroof then we are right back to an owner modified car.

Steven

50 minutes ago, 66GT350PS said:

I sure hope this car is not the same modified Charger being sold to someone who did not do their research before the purchase and is the victim of a continuing deception.😎

I too hope its not the same car. I did some digging and although I wasn't able to locate the original discussion, heck we are only talking something that took place around 1999 or 2000, but I did find the following:

Levi N.
1987 GLH-S 0867
Seminole FL

So if the OP's GLHS is #0867 then he will have a surprise.

Sorry Guys it is not a GLHS. what I bought was a production Shelby Charger. I was told it was an 87, the door decal was a bit faded. I had my insurance co run the VIN before I bought it but he never mentioned it was an 86. After the info you guys posted I found a website to run the vin and it is in fact an 86. No sun roof which I'm ok with. the VIN did in fact show it was a true Shelby Charger and not a charger with Shelby parts. I'll keep it I guess :) and have some fun with it. 87 just had lower production numbers, but really they remained unchanged from 86-87. The car hasn't been registered since 1994 and is in pretty good shape, it's all there and un molested.

Edited by Midnightmopar

18 hours ago, Midnightmopar said:

Sorry Guys it is not a GLHS. what I bought was a production Shelby Charger. I was told it was an 87, the door decal was a bit faded. I had my insurance co run the VIN before I bought it but he never mentioned it was an 86. After the info you guys posted I found a website to run the vin and it is in fact an 86. No sun roof which I'm ok with. the VIN did in fact show it was a true Shelby Charger and not a charger with Shelby parts. I'll keep it I guess :) and have some fun with it. 87 just had lower production numbers, but really they remained unchanged from 86-87. The car hasn't been registered since 1994 and is in pretty good shape, it's all there and un molested.

My error as you never mentioned GLHS in your post.

If you want to post a photo of your cars fender tag I can give you a 100% confirmation if your Shelby Charger left Chrysler with a sunroof or not.

Steven

• 4 months later...

The 87 Shelby Chargers were 2011 units, the last 1000 of these went to Shelby for a GLHS conversion. They were a short carry over, the GLH was already gone in 87. So they pushed all of the cars through in one order. We have had 2 87s and 2 GLHSs. One thing to notice is the lack of a center console, the L body not to have them. I started racing them in the 80s, my first actually being the 87 SC. They were pushed out quickly and the line killed, they were built the same except color. They were having a hard time selling anything at that price without AC and other extras like sunroof. The early cars in 85 and 86 came without AC or sun roof. The early NA models like a DLJ came with radio delete The first were more race car than the later models, the Dodges were made to be more daily friendly. The original Dodge Shelbys were more race car and by 86 Shelby built his own versions. So the 83 Shelby Charger is radically different than the 83 Charger 2.2. By 87 much of the cars were the same and the numbered cars were the race cars. My brothers car was NA yet had a knock sensor from being high compression, the blocks were machined with flat top pistons for more compression. Then the timing gear was changed for the shorter block to keep cam timing. Exhaust, ball joints, brakes, struts, springs, swing arms and sway bars, body and interior were changed. Not much on a Shelby Charger in 83-84 was interchangeable. Then they came no AC, no sun roof and no radio as light as possible and ready to race from the dealer. You can't name a car built in the 80s that came that way, the 86 GLHS actually have a roll bar as an option on a new car...….. As the 86 flat scared the car media to death they said that even though it is an option any new buyer should consider it standard.