TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Almost $800 for a Super Snake Faux Ring....WOW!!

17 hours ago, Robert M said:

For someone wanting to take a $25k GT500 and pass it off as a $75k Super Snake, its well worth it for them.

Not sure if "investment" is the right word since SAI did not sell these rings so the origin of this ring could be questionable especially when you consider the seller has multiple rings.

21 hours ago, SAI-Steven said:

For someone wanting to take a $25k GT500 and pass it off as a $75k Super Snake, its well worth it for them.

Not sure if "investment" is the right word since SAI did not sell these rings so the origin of this ring could be questionable especially when you consider the seller has multiple rings.

I have one, still in the box with the SAI part number on it, I believe I bought it from Shelby Perf. Parts (Tim) quite a few years ago, it was like $79.95, or maybe $99.95. I'll see is I can find it for some pictures.

If it was in fact a Shelby Perf. Part and the original price was $80-$100 just a few years ago (within 10 years), that is a pretty good $$$ return for a part?

R

Edited by Robert M

19 hours ago, Secondo said:

That's Ebay for ya. Let's not use it for judging car or car parts values because usually it's unrealistic, imo.

A previous auction Super Snake ring sold for this kind of money in the past 3-4 months. There was also one that sold for a Buy-It-Now of $30 just recently, I was kind of wondering if that is the same ring "bought right" and then sold "real right" in the auction I linked? Now that would be a Great investment to spent $30 a few weeks ago and sell for $800 a few weeks later?

R

Edited by Robert M

8 hours ago, SAI-Steven said:

Yes, definitely a Shelby part, I purchased it from SPP Tim years ago..........

001.jpg

002.jpg

Twice in the last few months this same ring has sold for 10 times what it sold for when it was new from Shelby, that is a pretty good deal for the owner in a relatively short period of time in the car parts world.

Interestingly, the Date of Manufacture (DOM) is right at the same time I was called and told my 2008 was done in Las Vegas.

R

Edited by Robert M

1 minute ago, Secondo said:

Don't be that guy who overwhelmingly paid for that plastic 

Actually it is aluminum, I don't think Shelby would make anything like this in cheap plastic?

I am afraid to install mine now, the price has gone too high to devalue it by being "used".

R

Now fake is shown below, Shelby never did this faux, the GT500KR had it's faux cap, but not the earlier Super Snakes, just the ring. The faux below was done by a guy in Europe a few years ago, it is cool, but not "Official Shelby".............

003.jpg

R

Edited by Robert M

14 hours ago, Robert M said:

Yes, definitely a Shelby part, I purchased it from SPP Tim years ago..........

Twice in the last few months this same ring has sold for 10 times what it sold for when it was new from Shelby, that is a pretty good deal for the owner in a relatively short period of time in the car parts world.

Interestingly, the Date of Manufacture (DOM) is right at the same time I was called and told my 2008 was done in Las Vegas.

R

Robert, are you saying that you purchased the SS ring over the counter at SPP as a retail purchase or are you saying you purchased the ring from SPP as a Super Snake owner?

6 hours ago, SAI-Steven said:

Robert, are you saying that you purchased the SS ring over the counter at SPP as a retail purchase or are you saying you purchased the ring from SPP as a Super Snake owner?

I purchased it as a Super Snake owner, from SPP. I do not remember specifically giving my CSM number, however, I would assume on a part like this it was required, it was quite a few years ago. Back then I dealt with Tim on all of my Shelby parts purchases. If it was required, I'm sure I provided my CSM to him.

The CSM requirement is probably why the price of this item has gone through the roof.

I think it is cool that some of the unique discontinued/obsolete late model Shelby parts are gaining value so early in life.

R

Edited by Robert M

At first, 10 years ago or so, my plan was to install this ring on my oem 2008 GT500 faux cap, just as originally planned by Shelby, then over time it was still in the box not installed and I saw the 2008 500CJ faux cap and thought "Super Snake"? "Big Snake"?..............the 500CJ faux would be perfect for this ring on the rear of a Super Snake............

001.jpg

002.jpg

^^^It was a cool idea imo, the focus is the "Big Snake" and "Super Snake"...........no other clutter.....

R

17 hours ago, Robert M said:

I purchased it as a Super Snake owner, from SPP. I do not remember specifically giving my CSM number, however, I would assume on a part like this it was required, it was quite a few years ago. Back then I dealt with Tim on all of my Shelby parts purchases. If it was required, I'm sure I provided my CSM to him.

The CSM requirement is probably why the price of this item has gone through the roof.

I think it is cool that some of the unique discontinued/obsolete late model Shelby parts are gaining value so early in life.

R

Tim may have seen through SAI's internal database that you were a SS owner and didn't ask since he already knew. 

While I'm not 100% positive, I believe these rings were a "restricted" part and with the seller having more than one of them is why I questioned the word "investment" ;)

2 hours ago, SAI-Steven said:

Tim may have seen through SAI's internal database that you were a SS owner and didn't ask since he already knew. 

While I'm not 100% positive, I believe these rings were a "restricted" part and with the seller having more than one of them is why I questioned the word "investment" ;)

Oh, I see why you are questioning investment. From the perspective of an owner owning one or more of any part, if I can buy something for $XX and sell it for 10 times what I paid for it after it was sitting on a shelf in an A/C'ed garage, that seems to be a good deal. I'm sure these rings that have been showing up on eBay were purchased by Super Snake owners when they owned their car, the ring was never installed and then they list in on eBay knowing it is a unique piece. <<If I knew I paid $80-$100 for this part originally and then a few years later, after I had sold my car I decided to sell off Shelby parts that were unique to that car, and then the price shoots to 10 times what I paid for it, that was a decent unexpected return on my money.

When I saw the first Super Snake faux ring sell in the $800 range on eBay a couple of months ago I thought it was a fluke........"someone had to have it at any price", but when I see a second one go for these big $$$, I started thinking that the first auction may have not been a fluke, and there are people out there willing to spend some huge dollars on some of this obsolete/unique Shelby stuff! In the big picture these parts are "early in life", but there are some who are plunking down the big coin on them.

R