TEAM SHELBY FORUM

08 Shelby, GT 500

1 hour ago, reboog1234 said:

What all do I have to do to make my GT 500  1000 hp

I'm assuming you are wanting to upgrade the car yourself and are not asking how to go about having SAI add the Shelby 1000 package, correct?

If that is correct the next question would be what is your budget? Are you looking to modify your car on the cheap with just bolt onparts or do you have a budget for an engine swap or speed shop build.

Steven

Well, you can bolt on a big ol’ super charger or twin turbos and maybe get there,  but if that is all you do then don’t expect your engine to last long at all…. and make sure you keep a  broom, mop and dustpan handy because you are going to have a mess to clean up. 
     When you start getting up in to the range you are dreaming of then you better be looking at things like new forged pistons and rods, new heads, cams, pulleys, injectors, additional cooling etc, etc.  Getting a 5.4 up to 1000 hp with any degree of reliability requires a “built” engine and a game plan for the engine, drive train and suspension because if you go that high in horsepower it is totally useless if you cant put it to the ground.
There are dozens of websites and forums that show detailed builds of 1000 hp+ 5.4 engine builds. Just google “1000 hp 5.4 Ford Engine builds”. Read several of those sites to educate yourself on what a “safe” build requires. Also, until you provide a budget or a general idea of your plan you are basically asking us “how long is a piece of string?” Can you provide a budget number? Can you tell us supercharger or turbos?

Edited by mhr1961

22 hours ago, reboog1234 said:

To be basic, the only weakest points of the '08 GT500 that can't support 1000HP are the stock supercharger, connecting rods, exhaust manifolds and driveshaft. You'll need a good set of forged rods installed, stronger one-piece driveshaft and a high-end supercharger or turbo kit. Whipple, Kenne Bell, Roush and Procharger make good superchargers to name a few. Here is a link to get you started, a 1000HP supercharger kit: 

https://www.evoperform.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11_227_228_232&products_id=814&zenid=njb50t0lvrighl2kdr6ceeqi05

2 hours ago, Secondo said:

Some advice from a fellow GT500 owner: Do not take advice regarding horsepower from an SGT owner. See what happens? :doh:

LoL. Just clowning with the exploding kittens. No kittens were harmed during the filming. In regard to going 1000 hp. Yeah it can be done with the kit you mention but they also recommend addressing cooling if you go with that package. I still would not recommend going to 1000HP on a 5.4 without addressing building the engine to insure longevity.......and addressing drive train and suspension too so all that new power will get to the ground. 

Edited by mhr1961

On 8/24/2019 at 8:04 AM, reboog1234 said:

Yes, just want to do it with bolt on if possible.

Ok as mentioned you can get there with bolt-on's such as turbochargers or a large displacement supercharger but your happiness will be short lived as the engine will in no time send a rod through the engine block. Might happen the first day, the first week, the first month but for certain it will happen. Only a engine build with high quality aftermarket forged internals will prevent this from happening and this will not be cheap.

The best suggestion is to go with a more conservative hp goal of 750 which should give you longevity as long as the tune is not overly aggressive. While 1000hp is great for bragging rights it also has some disadvantages besides the engine cost. You do know that the driveline will also need to be upgraded along with the chassis & suspension. Add in some larger wheel & tires and pretty soon you will have more money in the upgrades then you purchased the car for. Check engine lights coming on will be common along with an idle speed that is not consistent and seems to always be hunting for the right idle.

Best of luck on your project.

Steven

On 8/23/2019 at 12:03 PM, reboog1234 said:

So, if you have read all of the responses the best answer is "spend a lot of money".

The Shelby 1000 (which is what your spec ought to be based on) essentially gets a new engine.  Heed carefully what Steve said in the previous post:  The internals will not stand up without some serious upgrades.

In the 2007-2014 GT500 5.4 and 5.8 engines, it's really the connecting rods that won't handle the high HP. That's the most labor intensive swap. 

2012-'13 Boss 302's, 2015-up 5.0's and GT350 5.2's (and I'm sure the 2020 GT500 5.2) can easily handle 1000 boosted crank HP and more without any changes because they got improved rods from the factory. 

18 hours ago, twobjshelbys said:

So, if you have read all of the responses the best answer is "spend a lot of money".

The Shelby 1000 (which is what your spec ought to be based on) essentially gets a new engine.  Heed carefully what Steve said in the previous post:  The internals will not stand up without some serious upgrades.

Whats that old saying................. speeds costs money, how fast do you want to go.

5 hours ago, Secondo said:

Right- anything can be made to be fast with money but some cars cost less to get to your goals than others. 

Fast toilet seat.jpg

Wow, Takata seat belts, hope that toilet doesn’t also have a Takata Air Bag Installed as well……….