TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT500 wing on a SGT

Amadeu

Hello guys. I'm a new member to this forum and also a very happy new owner of a 2008 Shelby GT. The car is in very good condition, with little more than 6.000 miles (6171,6mi when I took it ten days ago).

As a new Shelby GT owner and also being my first Mustang, you can imagine how many questions I do have. I have read the topics of this forum extensively. Lots of useful information here. For instance, I already learned that, being late to the party (in addition to be located in Brazil), there are some things I couldn't enjoy, such as the Ford / Shelby warranty for galvanic corrosion of the hood. This is an issue I will have to deal with at some point.

But a specific question that came to my mind is about the GT500 wing installed in my car. The work is so well done I'm almost believing the previous onwer talk that it would have been installed at the factory .... is it possible? Has anyone heard of any Vista Blue 2008 Shelby GT that had the wing installed at the factory (I mean, at Shelby)?

Personally, I do not like this wing and intend to remove it. My second doubt, then, is whether anyone has any suggestions on how to plug/fix the holes in the boot lid.

Many thanks!

IMG_8409a.jpg

You could order a rear deck spoiler from SAI as part of a mod but not from Ford.  They aren’t a difficult install and many owners added them. Some the V6/KR, GT, or GT500 like yours. When done well, again like yours, they look great!  As for the holes (four) I would discuss options with a local body shop. Not my fav version but it does look nice! Good luck!

Adding a rear deck lid spoiler is a pretty popular owner modification but was not on your SGT when new.

One of the reasons I can guarantee this is because the SGT stripes would not have have been long enough to wrap around the spoiler.

The only proper way to remove the spoiler is to have the holes drilled in the trunk lid professionally welded up and the trunk lid repainted.

And lastly, congrats on your SGT purchase. Welcome to Team Shelby.

Steven

KILL IT WITH FIRE! 

(Sorry, just having a bit of fun there...)

Yeah, part of the Shelby GT charm is that it mimics the smooth tail of the original GT350. Spoiler? Hell, no. Just my 2 cents.

Jer

My advice? Grab a secondhand Mustang trunklid from a boneyard (cheaper than dirt), have it painted Vista Blue, and restripe and re-letter it. Back to stock!

Jer

By the way, I almost forgot... forgive me... Congratulations on buying such a wonderful car!  Welcome to the family! 

Jer

Thank you guys for this warm welcome! I just came back from a 50mi ride. The car is fantastic! Well balanced, really, really nice to drive. The other day I read a post here from a guy that started it with "I'm a kid again!" Well, I think he was absolutely right! 

Thanks also for the advice and suggestions on the spoiler matter. I do agree that this particular model looks way better without it! I could consider put it in the fireplace, but the wife probably would confiscate my car! :) 

Indeed, the body shop is in my list, once I have the corrosion on the hood pins holes to address. Most likely, will deal with both ends at once. But let's first enjoy the new toy for a while, before parking it in the body shop.

Guys, it is great to count on your knowledge of these cars. Many thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, JeffIsHereToo said:

I went with the KR/V6 spoiler. To me it was the perfect balance visually with the lower front air damn but not as in your face as the GT500.

BAAE81CA-34F7-411C-B92A-949F378E4E62.jpeg

Nice ride!

Indeed, it is more, let's say, discrete than the GT500 spoiler.

• 1 month later...

When all of my Mustang buddies and myself would travel to car events, they would always tell me that I looked like a bobcat going down the road. I let one of the guys drive my car so i could see for myself, and they were right. I didn't have the nerve to drill the holes in my trunk lid, so I spent a year searching for a lid that was already set up for a spoiler. I put a GT500 spoiler on my 07 white SGT and haven't regretted it one bit. The only bobcat in the group now is an 08 Bullitt.