TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Thinking about an 08 Shelby GT

mcate

Last year I sold my beloved 09 GT500 to help get finances straightened out, & get ready for retirement that's looming in a couple years. It was my 7th Mustang, & I'm just about ready to get #8. I'm looking to keep the cost under $20k, & I don't think I'd be happy with a "regular" Mustang GT. I'm looking at 07-09 GT/CS's, & 07-08 Shelby GT's, I've seen several low mileage Shelby GT's on Autotrader, Cargurus etc in my price range. Just wondering how owners here like them, & how they're received at shows. I don't need 600+ hp anymore. I just want a car that's fun to drive, & that I'd put in local Mustang events & cruise-ins. 

Thanks, Mike

I have an 07 Shelby GT and love the looks.  Performance is just ok.  Needs probably a 4.10 gear to wake it up.  I do like cruising in mine it is just lacking low end grunt.  I would take your time in the buying process as that is often very entertaining in itself.  It is a buyers market right now for SGT's.  Try to grab an original owner car.  Good luck.

I have a 2008 SGT/SC that I bought new in October 2007.  It has been a great car.  Mine is not a daily driver by any means and I have about 23,000 miles onit at this point in time.  A bunch of those miles are from taking it to the Terlingua Texas gathering each year.  I kind of like the fact that there are few bells and whistles on my 2008 compared to the current crop of Mustangs.  I have found the 4.6 motor to be quite capable when supercharged.  Lots of fun on the track if you are into that.  Enjoy your search and good luck.

Jim

I’m fortunate enough to own a ‘08 GT500KR and a 08’ SGT convertible.  As far as driving I prefer the SGT.  Even in the convertible trim it feels more balance than the KR. The steering, clutch and brakes are all lighter.  The car is truly a pleasure to drive.  My KR puts out over 600hp, so it’s just a beast...fun to unleash at times but also keep you on your toes.  If I had to let one go, it would probably be the KR.  

As far as owning a Shelby GT over a GT/CS, I personally don’t think there is a comparison.  The Shelby is more special mostly due to the suspension.

One other consideration would be a 2012 Boss 302.  It might take a bit more work to find one under $20k, but they are fantastic cars for the money.  

Hey Mike, all I can say is that my 08 Shelby GT, Vista Blue, 5spd. is a real blast to drive and it always succeeds to give me miles of smiles!    I feel it’s well balanced in the corners and that the engine has a decent amount of power to play with which makes it a very fun car to drive!   The SGTs are one of the better buys that are currently out there for what they offer up in the price dept.     J.M.O.       Hope you enjoy your search!               Mongoose     :peelout:

Thanks for all the replies so far! There are a couple of Vista Blue 08's out there that I'm looking at. One with 11k miles, & the other with 7400. Both just under $20k, & look great in the pics. My GT500 made 529/531 at the wheels, & was a blast. And I've seen some higher mileage ones in the mid $20k range, but I want to stick with something lower mileage. I've owned both a 2009 & a 2010 Mustang GT, so I'm familiar with the 4.6 & it's lack of grunt! I just think I'd like an SGT more than a plain Jane Mustang, & I wanted to make sure the SGT isn't considered the "bastard stepchild" of the Shelby world! lol

Another advantage is I could still wear all my Shelby caps & shirts!

I bought my 2008 SGT a little over a year ago. It had 16,500 miles on it and it currently has 19,000 miles. About 1000 of these miles are from several trips to Shelby in Las Vegas.  I love the way it drives. Mine is a 5 speed. As you know, the stripes can be an issue. You’ll know as soon as you see the car. I am fortunate in that my Shelby has been garaged from day one, and my stripes remain in great shape. 

Good luck in your search.

Kevin

I was pretty much in the same doubt little time ago, but also considering the 2012 302 Boss. This one had a nice price and sold quickly. Then I bought a 2008 Shelby GT. Very, VERY happy with the car. It is fun, without being a (altought fun, but maybe dangerous) beast.
In my opinion, the car drawn attention at the shows. Last weekend we had the 15th edition of the annual meeting of the Mustang Club of Sao Paulo and the public reaction to the Shelby GT was amazing. 

IMG_8409.jpg

• 1 month later...

Love our SGTs, very fun all round driving cars.

Original owner of one we purchased in 2009, then we recently picked up a 17k mile vert all original for some topless fun for under $20k.

The coupe has a ton of upgrades makes 355hp and is set up for the road course with Griggs suspension and other goodies.

70262904_2428638167457623_8627563165552476160_n.jpg

49370366_2243660382622070_3735300505774063616_o.jpg

Edited by FordFan1

9 hours ago, FordFan1 said:

Love our SGTs, very fun all round driving cars.

Original owner of one we purchased in 2009, then we recently picked up a 17k mile vert all original for some topless fun for under $20k.

The coupe has a ton of upgrades makes 355hp and is set up for the road course with Griggs suspension and other goodies.

70262904_2428638167457623_8627563165552476160_n.jpg

49370366_2243660382622070_3735300505774063616_o.jpg

I am still looking for those rear/side Silver Shelby Window Covers if anyone has a set

• 3 weeks later...