TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Rear Brakes

KR_Mac

When I did the brakes on my SGT, I installed AP Racing brakes front and rear (6 piston in the front, 4 piston in the rear).  When you have a whole car brake setup that is complementary front to back, you have stopping power you have to experience to believe.  Make sure that whatever you do in the rear is designed to complement what you have in the the front if you want to achieve the best braking possible.  With the set up I have, there has never be even a hint of fade no matter how hot the day or challenging the track.  That said, such a set up is expensive.  Mine cost around $6,000 and that was 9 years ago.  My philosophy is that you need to spend as much to make a car stop as  you do to make it go fast.  Others may have a different philosophy so read what they may post as there are people on this forum who really know their stuff.  On last thing is that you will need to pay attention as to clearance on  your rear brakes.  I went with KR wheels all the way around and they will clear pretty much any brakes you can put on the car. Good luck on your project. 

Jim

I would approach it this way:  Unless you plan on tracking the car the factory brakes are functionally just fine, and even then unless you're very experienced you'll do just fine with factory brakes for your first few track days.  In other words, don't go dropping 6K on brakes just to attend the Bash track day. 

twobjshelbys is correct.  Be straight with yourself about just how much you will track your car. 

[Note:  One caveat about Bash track day goes back to the first one in January 2008.  The track was the inner track at Las Vegas Motor Speedway.  All of the GT500s were cooking their factory brakes because there were no straight-aways.  It was turn, turn, turn.  The SGTs did not have that issue given their lower front end weight.  The Bash moved away from the inner track because of the brakes and because one SGT was totaled that weekend.]

If you will be on tracks that have enough non-braking time, back to what twobjshelbys said, i.e., your factory brakes should be okay.  Truth be told, my big brake kit was a priority because my wife knew our son was also driving the car on the track and wanted every bit of stopping power available.  With brakes, you never know how much stopping power you will need until you need it.  But that's just me.  Drive wisely, listen to your instructors and be 100% familiar with your car and you will have a great time.

Jim

If you're going to track or just have fun then the brake fluid should be changed to hi-temp and the pads should be changed to something better. As far as the rears go...I track and I'm cheap, so I just bought a set of the OEM 2013 brakes (take-off's of course). I didn't want to use an aftermarket bracket for the rear calipers, so I took out the axles and did everything just like OEM. I also upgraded the diff fluid to a full synthetic (and friction modifier) as part of the job. I run Hawk HPS pads and I've never had fade on or off track. The other reason I went this way was to fill the "gaps" in the 20" Alcoa's. The earlier OEM rotors just looked way too small inside those wheels. ;)

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 2:08 AM, 89Saleen215 said:

If you're going to track or just have fun then the brake fluid should be changed to hi-temp and the pads should be changed to something better. As far as the rears go...I track and I'm cheap, so I just bought a set of the OEM 2013 brakes (take-off's of course). I didn't want to use an aftermarket bracket for the rear calipers, so I took out the axles and did everything just like OEM. I also upgraded the diff fluid to a full synthetic (and friction modifier) as part of the job. I run Hawk HPS pads and I've never had fade on or off track. The other reason I went this way was to fill the "gaps" in the 20" Alcoa's. The earlier OEM rotors just looked way too small inside those wheels. ;)

^^^^^I agree with this. Shelby installed the Baer Extreme front rotor/6 piston caliper upgrade on my Super Snake when it went through their shop and the rears also got upgraded, but when my car went through there was no matching Extreme rear upgrade so I had the big Red caliper on the front and the miniature Black oem caliper on the rear, I hated to bite the bullet, but when Baer finally released the matching 6 piston rear upgrade, I had to get it on my car, just so it looked better from the side view  behind the 20" Alcoa's..........

0063-zpsfb08ff58.jpg

Below is my 2008 GT500 rear rotor progression, Top - oem Ford from the assy. line, Left - Baer Eradispeed rear rotor upgrade with oem single piston caliper, Right - Baer Extreme rear rotor and caliper upgrade (shown installed above).

041.jpg

There is also a Baer Extreme front rotor upgrade to change from the standard Extreme 14" to 15", this also closes the gap behind the 20" Alcoa.........

14" Front......

Picturedownload5-2-09028-2.jpg

15" Baer front rotor upgrade.....

004-zps22f0a775.jpg

I am done with brakes................Well Done!!!

Well I guess I shouldn't say "well done", I am still thinking about getting the Baer Extreme 15" F - 14" R slotted only rotor option for these hats.............but that is another big cha-ching................so it may not happen.

R

Edited by Robert M