TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT350 Convertible? Please?

Starik

I don't like to say never in the car world, buy there is a 99.99999999999% chance that it ain't going to happen. The 2015+ Gt350 is a track oriented car and verts just are not in the equation. 

Edited by mhr1961

3 hours ago, Starik said:

Well, I'd happily buy one.  Don't care about the track.

It doesn't matter whether you care about the track or not. Ford from the get go designed,engineered, and built the 2015+ Shelby GT350 to be a track oriented purpose built car. If you read anything about its development, everything about its design was to make it a track dominant vehicle. Lopping the top off a car severely alters the vehicle's dynamics and a topless version was never considered and probably won't be.

Well, my second personal car is a 2012 GT500 convertible. It carries 4 people, I smile every time I climb in it, and it has a lovely exhaust sound... but limited modern electronics. It has the performance package, and I even enjoy the ride quality and the solid rear axle which demands your attention on rough surfaces. I don't care about 0-60 times or track behavior, and I know the body flexes more than a hardtop but don't care. It's my fun car.  I don't like the 5.0 engine, particularly with the GT500. I've owned three 5.0 Mustangs in the past. Don't want a new GT500. I want the Voodoo engine, if I'm getting a new car. Shelby makes a 5 liter convertible, how hard would it be to build a GT350? I already have a fast hardtop car, An Alfa Romeo Stelvio Quad, which I just drove on a 7500 mile road trip. That's my everyday car.

21 hours ago, Starik said:

Well, my second personal car is a 2012 GT500 convertible. It carries 4 people, I smile every time I climb in it, and it has a lovely exhaust sound... but limited modern electronics. It has the performance package, and I even enjoy the ride quality and the solid rear axle which demands your attention on rough surfaces. I don't care about 0-60 times or track behavior, and I know the body flexes more than a hardtop but don't care. It's my fun car.  I don't like the 5.0 engine, particularly with the GT500. I've owned three 5.0 Mustangs in the past. Don't want a new GT500. I want the Voodoo engine, if I'm getting a new car. Shelby makes a 5 liter convertible, how hard would it be to build a GT350? I already have a fast hardtop car, An Alfa Romeo Stelvio Quad, which I just drove on a 7500 mile road trip. That's my everyday car.

Well gee, that’s swell and all, but If you had been reading about the 2015+ Gt350 as you claim, then you would already know that the modern Ford Shelby GT350 came from Ford…....not Shelby.You would also know that a convertible was never even considered because that has been published in numerous articles online.  It is a Ford Product and Ford design and the Shelby name was licensed. As I said before, it was designed from the get go to be for maximum performance and anything that dilutes that equation was eliminated. The GT350 is not “just a Mustang”. It has many modifications to it that make it what it is……a purpose built track car. Shelby specifically chose not to do any mods to the 2015+ Ford Shelby GT350 and rightly so. It is what it is.

In regard to your question “how hard can it be to build a gt350 convertible?”….Well it could be real easy, you can go buy a new GT350 at your local dealer and on your way home stop by Ace Hardware and buy a Hacksaw and some blades and cut the top off yourself………If you want to do it properly then it isn’t that easy. About the only way you are going to get what you want is to pony up some money for a 2015+ GT350 coupe and then pony up a lot more money to have a mod shop to cut the top off for you and install all the vert mechanisms, rewiring the controls,alter the windshield, reinforce the a pillars so the car doesn’t kill you if you flip it or rear end someone,  when you chop the top off of most modern day cars you have to reinforce the A pillars and  do other chassis stiffening mods so that if you rear end someone the A pillar wont fold down and crush your head as the car becomes a giant accordian due to impact.……. but unless said mod shop specializes in reinforcing the chassis properly and reprogramming the tuned suspension because you altered the weight balance of the car…… then you will have a Frankenstang with lousy handling,probably a lot of poor aerodynamics, a lot of NVH vehicle noise that will need to be addressed and a car that will kill you.  With enough money and determination it could be done. Good luck with it.

By the way, the modern 2007-2014 GT500s didn’t have a 5.0, they had either a 5.4 or 5.8 Liter. The new 2020 GT500 doesn’t have a 5.0 either , it will have a 5.2 Liter, and it probably wont come ina convertible either.

Here is a video showing an example of “A Pillar Collapse” on a convertible, If not done properly the air bag will save you for a fraction of a second but it also holds your head  upright and in perfect position to be smashed by the A Pillar and windshield a few hundred milliseconds later.

https://www.consumerreports.org/video/view/cars/car-safety/72328584001/ford-mustang-convertible-crash-test-2010-2011/

Edited by mhr1961

Well, base model Mustang V8 specs for those years: 1985  5.0L 210 HP, 1990  5.0L 220 HP, 2002 4.6L 260 HP and now 2019 5.0 460 HP.  Seems that Ford power is improving quite well with the small block.  For more fun, get a new  Ford Mustang GT convertible and have Shelby American upgrade the power and suspension to a Shelby GT model.  Simple.😎

8 hours ago, 66GT350PS said:

Well, base model Mustang V8 specs for those years: 1985  5.0L 210 HP, 1990  5.0L 220 HP, 2002 4.6L 260 HP and now 2019 5.0 460 HP.  Seems that Ford power is improving quite well with the small block.  For more fun, get a new  Ford Mustang GT convertible and have Shelby American upgrade the power and suspension to a Shelby GT model.  Simple.😎

One could always purchase a 2019 Shelby Super Snake convertible from select Ford dealers. The Super Snakes 800+ hp will make you forget all about that GT350 and you'll have a much rarer vehicle.

Steven

On 8/20/2019 at 5:16 AM, Secondo said:

The OP stated that he wants the unique Voodoo engine. But I agree that he would forget about it once driving a Supersnaked supercharged 5.0.

Which is like asking Ford to produce a 2019 Ford GT with the 2006 Ford GT engine.  Some options are not available.

I think it was pretty much a topic generated as a troll topic. Even after plausible explanation, what we got was  "oh well,  if Ford doesn't make exactly what I want,  then Ford doesn't want to sell me a car." He might have as well have asked why Ford didn't  shove a Le Mans Winning Ecoboost V6 in a Ford Fiesta.........oh wait, they don't want to sell him a car........