TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby transmission cooler scoop

So, I am in need of help.  The Shelby transmision cooler scoop/brace is incorporated withe the scoop. 

My question is..... I need the correct 4 bolts and nuts to install this piece since the 07 sgt did not come with this lower control arm brace so I cannot reuse bolts and nuts.

I believe convertables did.

What I can tell on the x-member diagram is the nut is a 10mm #hn5 but with no thread pitch info. The bolt seems to be not listed and I need 4 of them. Also it does seem that the bolts may be part of the brace? I would like to keep with Ford bolts and nuts. Has anyone have any info to guide me in the right direction?

Thank you

Edited by duns

1 hour ago, duns said:

So, I am in need of help.  The Shelby transmision cooler scoop/brace is incorporated withe the scoop. 

My question is..... I need the correct 4 bolts and nuts to install this piece since the 07 sgt did not come with this lower control arm brace so I cannot reuse bolts and nuts.

I believe convertables did.

What I can tell on the x-member diagram is the nut is a 10mm #hn5 but with no thread pitch info. The bolt seems to be not listed and I need 4 of them. Also it does seem that the bolts may be part of the brace? I would like to keep with Ford bolts and nuts. Has anyone have any info to guide me in the right direction?

Thank you

FRPP claims that "pencil brace" came stock on convertible models so why not just go to the dealer and have them order you the hardware from a 2007 Mustange GT or GT500 convertible?

image.png

Because the Ford parts guy says that the bolts are spot welded/part of bracket and doest know what bolts or nuts to use for the bracket. Yes all i need is the hardware and would like to keep it ford bolts and nuts. I called twice and it was a hassle...

20 minutes ago, SAI-Steven said:

FRPP claims that "pencil brace" came stock on convertible models so why not just go to the dealer and have them order you the hardware from a 2007 Mustange GT or GT500 convertible?

image.png

I called and asked about just hardware 4 bolts 4 nuts. I want them to be ford hardware. Speaking to some of these parts guys is a joke. 

He said that the bolts on the brace ar spot welded and the nuts are seperate. Personally i dont think they are but wasnt going to argue with the guy as he may be correct. This kit should have came with the hardware knowing the sgt did not come with a pencil brace. The nuts are 10mm but dont know the thread pitch for the correct bolt. I want to use Ford bolts. https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/arm-assy-front-suspension-7811969-1#sectionId:4130396

Edited by duns

1 hour ago, duns said:

I called and asked about just hardware 4 bolts 4 nuts. I want them to be ford hardware. Speaking to some of these parts guys is a joke. 

He said that the bolts on the brace ar spot welded and the nuts are seperate. Personally i dont think they are but wasnt going to argue with the guy as he may be correct. This kit should have came with the hardware knowing the sgt did not come with a pencil brace. The nuts are 10mm but dont know the thread pitch for the correct bolt. I want to use Ford bolts. https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/arm-assy-front-suspension-7811969-1#sectionId:4130396

The bolts do appears to be "captured" as part of the brace, could be press fit could be tack welded but since you know the part number for the nuts and you want to use ford fasteners why not just order the nuts and once you have them in hand you can determine the thread pitch.

Even if the cooler-scoop came with hardware it would not be Ford hardware, SPP would have just ordered generic hardware that fits the holes.

Good luck with your project.

Steven

21 minutes ago, SAI-Steven said:

The bolts do appears to be "captured" as part of the brace, could be press fit could be tack welded but since you know the part number for the nuts and you want to use ford fasteners why not just order the nuts and once you have them in hand you can determine the thread pitch.

Even if the cooler-scoop came with hardware it would not be Ford hardware, SPP would have just ordered generic hardware that fits the holes.

Good luck with your project.

Steven

Thanks Steven for your help. I'll figure it out. What you suggested is what I ended up doing.

👍

19 hours ago, duns said:

Thanks Steven for your help. I'll figure it out. What you suggested is what I ended up doing.

👍

You're welcome. I even went into the warehouse to see if we had any of those pencil braces laying around in the take-off parts bin but had no luck finding one.

Since that brace was used on all 2005-09 GT convertibles and all 2007-09 GT500's you may want to visit a local junk/salvage/auto-dismantling yard to see about purchasing the brace where hopefully you can remove the bolts from the brace.

Steven

OP, I went online to Ford Performance and used the “chat” feature and gave them the model number of the M-5025-A that you posted a picture of:

They gave me Ford Part# W702600-S439 for the Bolt

And                Ford Part#W711553-S440 for the Nut.

I make no claim of the accuracy of the chat technicians response. You can go to Ford Performance yourself and try the chat feature and double check it to see if you get the same response.

If it is a 10mm bolt they come in 3 standard pitches…. 1.5mm coarse, 1.25mm fine, 1.00 mm superfine. From the pics I could find of the bolt, it looks like a coarse thread. If you have no luck with Ford you can try an Industrial Supplier like Fastenal to help you try and source the bolts.

Hope this info is of some help.

7 hours ago, SAI-Steven said:

You're welcome. I even went into the warehouse to see if we had any of those pencil braces laying around in the take-off parts bin but had no luck finding one.

Since that brace was used on all 2005-09 GT convertibles and all 2007-09 GT500's you may want to visit a local junk/salvage/auto-dismantling yard to see about purchasing the brace where hopefully you can remove the bolts from the brace.

Steven

4 hours ago, mhr1961 said:

OP, I went online to Ford Performance and used the “chat” feature and gave them the model number of the M-5025-A that you posted a picture of:

They gave me Ford Part# W702600-S439 for the Bolt

And                Ford Part#W711553-S440 for the Nut.

I make no claim of the accuracy of the chat technicians response. You can go to Ford Performance yourself and try the chat feature and double check it to see if you get the same response.

If it is a 10mm bolt they come in 3 standard pitches…. 1.5mm coarse, 1.25mm fine, 1.00 mm superfine. From the pics I could find of the bolt, it looks like a coarse thread. If you have no luck with Ford you can try an Industrial Supplier like Fastenal to help you try and source the bolts.

Hope this info is of some help.

Thank you for all of your help. I found some bolts and nuts that were laying around in a bin and accomplished the mission. Thank you again everyone. 

I will right down those bolt and nut numbers. Thank you for that. This will come in handy for others installing the Shelby transmission cooler scoop. 

I think it looks OK.... 

Now I have to figure out how to add pictures here. Size restriction... 

For my 07 SGT I just took the cooling scoop to the hardware store and fit grade 8 bolts, nuts and lock washers.  Found the torque rating in some Ford publication and all fits like a glove.

You will have to use a piece of thick cardboard when changing the oil to create a 'slide' as the oil from the oil pan will shoot into the scoop if not diverted. 

2 hours ago, ChicagoChris said:

For my 07 SGT I just took the cooling scoop to the hardware store and fit grade 8 bolts, nuts and lock washers.  Found the torque rating in some Ford publication and all fits like a glove.

You will have to use a piece of thick cardboard when changing the oil to create a 'slide' as the oil from the oil pan will shoot into the scoop if not diverted. 

Yes it does fit like a glove 👍 Its all installed. Very nice piece. When I change the oil i will take note of your cardboard idea.

Much appreciated... What was the torque spec on that transmission cooler scoop?

Thanks

Edited by duns

When I had a Boss 302 with the FR "kitty litter scoop" I would just let the oil drain onto the scoop than it'd drain out of the corner of it into a catch pan.  A quick wipe with a paper towel at the end was sufficient.  What is really useful, is one of the Form-A-Funnels for removing the oil filter.

https://www.amazon.com/FormAFunnel-General-Purpose-Flexible-Automobiles/dp/B07QM1KWMN/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_263_img_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=F186GFQVZX0BARAMN6G8

61ZFZpKjUoL._SL1000_.jpg