TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Buying in Jan, need some advice/suggestions

jsalbre

Hi all! Great board you have here, I've been lurking for about two weeks and I'm very impressed with the quality of people I see here! :drool:

My wife and I have been planning on getting a new car around January or so once our Jeep is paid off, and after driving a GT a few weeks ago we're now 99% certain that we'll be buying one. Man that is one beautiful looking, driving and *sounding* car! :shift:

I almost bought a '73 Mustang Grande as my first vehicle and have regretted not getting it for years, so now's my chance to make up for that mistake.

As we're both pretty picky we'll be ordering custom and as my company is a Ford Partner I'm eligible for x-plan pricing. So far it's looking like we'll be ordering a GT Premium in Alloy, with the Premier Trim w/Color Accent (probably black/red) and Interior Upgrade (w/ Woven Charcoal) packages, the Comfort Group, the Active Anti-theft and the HID headlights.

Now my dilemma: :sos:

I greatly prefer to get the standard tranny, while my wife wants the auto. She doesn't know how to drive a stick, but I'm confident I can teach her, and this will be primarily my daily driver anyway as she drives our gas-guzzling Jeep to her much closer work. I've always owned autos but have driven my fair share of standards and think I'm actually a better driver with a stick (less likely to let my mind wander from driving.)

What are some good things I could say to try to convince her that standard is the way to go? The "it's more fun" argument won't work on her, so I'm not even going to try that. I need mature and thought out suggestions please!

Thanks guys and gals, and i can't wait to have a Mustang in my garage! :dreamy:

Hi all! Great board you have here, I've been lurking for about two weeks and I'm very impressed with the quality of people I see here! :drool:

My wife and I have been planning on getting a new car around January or so once our Jeep is paid off, and after driving a GT a few weeks ago we're now 99% certain that we'll be buying one. Man that is one beautiful looking, driving and *sounding* car! :shift:

I almost bought a '73 Mustang Grande as my first vehicle and have regretted not getting it for years, so now's my chance to make up for that mistake.

As we're both pretty picky we'll be ordering custom and as my company is a Ford Partner I'm eligible for x-plan pricing. So far it's looking like we'll be ordering a GT Premium in Alloy, with the Premier Trim w/Color Accent (probably black/red) and Interior Upgrade (w/ Woven Charcoal) packages, the Comfort Group, the Active Anti-theft and the HID headlights.

Now my dilemma: :sos:

I greatly prefer to get the standard tranny, while my wife wants the auto. She doesn't know how to drive a stick, but I'm confident I can teach her, and this will be primarily my daily driver anyway as she drives our gas-guzzling Jeep to her much closer work. I've always owned autos but have driven my fair share of standards and think I'm actually a better driver with a stick (less likely to let my mind wander from driving.)

What are some good things I could say to try to convince her that standard is the way to go? The "it's more fun" argument won't work on her, so I'm not even going to try that. I need mature and thought out suggestions please!

Thanks guys and gals, and i can't wait to have a Mustang in my garage! :dreamy:

I would show her the specifications from a GT500 brochure and say - see, it's only available as a 6-speed.

HSURB

Thanks guys, but I don't think she'll fall for any tricks quite that obvious. ;)

Any other suggestions? It just seems wrong to get a muscle car with an auto!

Who will drive it more frequently? If you, then it seems appropriate to get what you want. To make up for it, make sure she has an auto in her next car.

Dave

Have you driven a new Mustang GT with the automatic yet? It's a 5-speed automatic, so the gear spacing is nearly identical to the 5-speed manual. You can select each of the 5 gears individually if you need to hold a gear for cornering or you can manually shift to rev higher than you can in drive (if you have a handheld tuner and raise your shift points).

As GT automatics get 3.31 gears and the GT manuals get 3.55's most often (3.31's standard), swapping in steeper gears in the automatic will make one helluva fun car. I had 4.10's installed in mine and all I can say is "wow."

Tell her that driving a stick will improve both of your sex lives! :happy feet:

That should work.

Haha, I'll be sure to try that one! :)

Five Oh B:

I'm sure the auto is good as far as autos go, but I really do want a stick. Like i said, it'll be more than just for the enjoyment factor, when I drive a stick I don't have problems falling asleep drving home from work in the mornings (I work nights.)

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys, ya'll crack me up. :hysterical2: Any more ideas?

Haha, I'll be sure to try that one! :)

Five Oh B:

I'm sure the auto is good as far as autos go, but I really do want a stick. Like i said, it'll be more than just for the enjoyment factor, when I drive a stick I don't have problems falling asleep drving home from work in the mornings (I work nights.)

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys, ya'll crack me up. :hysterical2: Any more ideas?

Welcome, jsalbre!

I'm envious. It'll probably be a couple of years before my wife and I are ready to buy our Mustang. And let me compliment you on your ordering choices! Everything but the "HID" headlights, is what I'd order too! I'm just not sure about the HIDs, as I haven't seen them on the Stang yet. Don't know for sure if they'll look good, as they're smaller lights. Might take away from the "Mustang Look".

At any rate, I suppose you could argue the point that "standard" tranny Mustangs are more sought after, and as such (not that you would, but, if you ever needed to sell) you'd have a better chance selling it with a standard tranny. I agree, it does feel wrong to order a muscle car without a standard transmission.

But, for the most part, I think the earlier suggestion is best. If YOU are going to be the primary driver, YOU should be able to decide what you want on the car. Just tell her you'll teach her how to drive a standard, and it's not as hard as it looks, so she doesn't need to be worried about being stuck not being able to drive, should your Jeep go inop.

Good luck, and here's to hoping when January rolls around, you'll have a clutch pedal AND a dead pedal!

- Josh

Welcome, bro!

Teaching her how to drive a stick is the best way. Once she sees how "much fun it is," she'll understand. Problem is it might be tough to find a stick to teach her on....

Glad you've enjoyed our forums. Hang out with us and have some fun.

Ruf

I'm just not sure about the HIDs, as I haven't seen them on the Stang yet. Don't know for sure if they'll look good, as they're smaller lights. Might take away from the "Mustang Look".

- Josh

Josh: Thanks for the suggestions, I think those may really help. As for the HIDs, here's a pic:

12.jpg

Ruf:

Thanks, and yeah, I've gotta find something to teach her on!

Josh: Thanks for the suggestions, I think those may really help. As for the HIDs, here's a pic:

12.jpg

Ruf:

Thanks, and yeah, I've gotta find something to teach her on!

Jeremy,

Thanks for the picture, it helps, but, I think I need a "head on" view to really give it my thumbs up. From what I can see in that 3/4 view, though, it doesn't look bad at all.

- Josh

Jeremy,

Thanks for the picture, it helps, but, I think I need a "head on" view to really give it my thumbs up. From what I can see in that 3/4 view, though, it doesn't look bad at all.

- Josh

Yeah, I'd like to see a front view as well. Unfortunately that's the best pic I've found so far.

Oh, and here's another good reason to buy a stick: http://www.11alive.com/news/article_news.aspx?storyid=98873

Yeah, I'd like to see a front view as well. Unfortunately that's the best pic I've found so far.

Oh, and here's another good reason to buy a stick: http://www.11alive.com/news/article_news.aspx?storyid=98873

There's a jem to show to your wife! Wow, it boggles the mind at just how dumb some criminals are. It's good to see that no one got hurt, however.

Me? I think I'll take the "Road Warrior" approach to car jacking... if it aint me drivin'... BOOOOM! Just kidding. But, whenever I do order my baby, you can darn well bet, I'm getting a good car alarm to go with her! I don't know how good the factory alarms are, but, better "safe" than sorry, right?

- Josh

Oh, dear. You've misspelled 'grabber orange'. It has neither double L's nor a 'Y'. :P

But seriously, you'll love the Alloy! Think about Classic Soft Trim for two tone seats if

you're not getting the California Special!

Mine are Orange, but with the Alloy, it could look like this:

CST_grey.jpg

Oh, dear. You've misspelled 'grabber orange'. It has neither double L's nor a 'Y'. :P

But seriously, you'll love the Alloy! Think about Classic Soft Trim for two tone seats if

you're not getting the California Special!

Mine are Orange, but with the Alloy, it could look like this:

CST_grey.jpg

I do like the GO, but my wife won't go for something quie that bright. Besides, with my lead foot it's probably better that my car not be visible from space.

I saw your installation of the Classic Soft Trim seats, very nice! If only their site wasn't so painful to use and had a few more pictures!!

I'd get the CS, as I love the interior on it, but I'm not a fan of the fake scoops or chrome wheels. It looks great, just not my personal style.

Here's one in the fastest color. It has the CS front but no scoops, the GT500 wheeels and rear spoiler, and some other assorted FRPP goodies

an Alloy is stronger!

Great looking car Mark!

I was thinking that when I get mine I'm gonna put on the Roush front fascia, CS rear fascia and GT500 spoiler, with some double silver stripes from front to back, including the bumpers. Oh, and those awesome window-replacement louvers that Ruf has on his. And the FRPP GTA exhaust, and a suspension package, and, and, and.... :spend:

Hehe, modification is an addiction! Unfortunately for me I'm really in for it as I caught the bug when I got my Jeep (Just Empty Every Pocket) and it can only get worse once I add the 'Stang.

Sounds like a great plan. Make sure you look at the Rousch in person. I saw one at Tommie Vaughn and there was a non-functional brake air duct on the side of the fascia that was popped out a little. I looked at the part closely and it looked like a spring plus adhesive arangement that was not working very well. Maybe just an isolated installation problem.

We rented some Jeep Rubicons during a field trip to Canyonlands this spring. They were stock and I'm a rookie doing that kind of driving, but I was impressed :happy feet: I can see how people get hooked on it.

Sounds like a great plan. Make sure you look at the Rousch in person. I saw one at Tommie Vaughn and there was a non-functional brake air duct on the side of the fascia that was popped out a little. I looked at the part closely and it looked like a spring plus adhesive arangement that was not working very well. Maybe just an isolated installation problem.

We rented some Jeep Rubicons during a field trip to Canyonlands this spring. They were stock and I'm a rookie doing that kind of driving, but I was impressed :happy feet: I can see how people get hooked on it.

I've seen a few up close with the Roush front on. It is held on with adhesive and clips, but I've yet to see any that are loose. Might have been an installation error like you said. Those "ducts" are actually open on the back, so it shouldn't be to hard to get some tubing and make them functional.

Thanks for the advice though. ;) I plan to be well prepared by the time I actually get the car!

Good guess! The other side looked great. I almost went with the Steeda but I wanted a little more stealthy look. The Rousch really looked mean and FAST :superhero:

Think I could get some pics of your interior? I've been wondering how the black/chamois looks with the charcoal trim. Thanks!

Archived