TEAM SHELBY FORUM

3M or Autobahn or neither???

My local shop uses Autobahn instead of the 3M clear bra.

Is one better or worse or is it the same thing. I have seen alot of exotics and such use the Autobahn stuff but just wanted to know if anyone has any experience with them.

Please don't reply, do a search because no one on here has mentioned any brand except for 3M

There is also venturesheild or something like that? but I think it is made by 3M

Thanks guys!

Im leaning toward going with nothing as I think I can spend $600 better on something else, but not sure yet.

I've always had good luck with anything from 3M, and have nothing but good stuff about their clear bra.

I'm running into the same thing where I live. Not finding the 3M. So do you make the trip to have it installed, and if it fails you have to make that drive back. Or stick with what the locals have, and hope they stay in business?

However, if you're familiar with your shop, the owners and have actually seen the warranty that comes with the Autobahn, I might try it.

I'd think they might give you a discount if you offered up your car for photos when done.

I've received a couple gimmies for mine for just showing up at a show or letting them display it at their store for a day.

This place that wants to do mine says its back for life.

could not give me a price, mind you they sell used exotic so I doubt it will be cheap, but how much is too much?

I have not seen any of the clear bra work that they have done as it is outsourced and a guy comes there and does it in there showroom so I really think I should look at the guys work on another car before deciding.

I mean it sucks to have chips on your paint but does it suck more to see a dam line!

I have a black car which you will see it I am sure, but then again the chips will be seen as well!

I am also thinking about letting this place detail my car as they are all car enthusiasts and seem very pasionate about what they do, once again not cheap but I was watching them detail a porsche and I figure if it is good enough for a Ferrari or Porsche it should be good enough for my Shelby?

I was hoping someone had heard of Autobahn before, I have seen it used as a selling point for exotic cars on ebay but thats about it.

My local shop uses Autobahn instead of the 3M clear bra.

Is one better or worse or is it the same thing. I have seen alot of exotics and such use the Autobahn stuff but just wanted to know if anyone has any experience with them.

Please don't reply, do a search because no one on here has mentioned any brand except for 3M

There is also venturesheild or something like that? but I think it is made by 3M

Thanks guys!

Im leaning toward going with nothing as I think I can spend $600 better on something else, but not sure yet.

I had ventureshield installed, great product no one can see it. No orange peel like the 3M product. It is not made by 3M. It is stronger and will not yellow. I saw it at the auto show the salesman would take people to the 3M booth to compare the difference. 3M throw him out after a while.

This place that wants to do mine says its back for life.

could not give me a price, mind you they sell used exotic so I doubt it will be cheap, but how much is too much?

I have not seen any of the clear bra work that they have done as it is outsourced and a guy comes there and does it in there showroom so I really think I should look at the guys work on another car before deciding.

I mean it sucks to have chips on your paint but does it suck more to see a dam line!

I have a black car which you will see it I am sure, but then again the chips will be seen as well!

I am also thinking about letting this place detail my car as they are all car enthusiasts and seem very pasionate about what they do, once again not cheap but I was watching them detail a porsche and I figure if it is good enough for a Ferrari or Porsche it should be good enough for my Shelby?

I was hoping someone had heard of Autobahn before, I have seen it used as a selling point for exotic cars on ebay but thats about it.

chuckstang,

I have/ had autobahnd on all of my cars...an acura rl, acura mdx, and a toyota sienna. I have it on the headlamps of these vehicles as well. I have not done the GT 500 yet, but will shortly. They gaurantee their product for life to the original owner.

Last year I beleive they changed the type of film that they were using (the older product would begin to fog / became less clear after two to three years. The new product seems much better than the old. Whenever I had an issue with autobahnd thay have also stood behind their product and replaced it free of charge.

I will say it needs to be maintianed. A good coat of wax on a consistent basis. Bugs / tar must be washed off within a day or two as they can stain the film permanently. When waxing you want to wax away from the mask vs. towards it to avoid a wax build up.

Another key to this product is the installer. They really need to know what they are doing. And most of the time they want to install it on a new car, vs one that has chip in it already.

Overall I like autobahnd. Hope this helps

Teke

I have 9k miles and wish i found some one to install i looked around the miami area and colnd not find an instaler now my front end had 10-20 small rock chips. I would go with eather brand

There is a great shop in Boca called Supershield. They did mine and at least one other from Miami. I alsoused them before 4 years ago and the film looks as good as new 4 years later. Check out their website I think it is autosupershield.com

7_18_07_031.jpg7_18_07_031.jpg

wow no kidding huh

So basically you need to find out exactly what brand of clear tape they are going to use?

If I knew for a fact that it would be basically invisible I would do it in a heartbeat, I just don't like the fact that I really don't know!

Ok I just got my car back from this shop. They offer both 3 M and Ventureshield. I had both on my car. Ventureshield on the hood is because it best to show color of your car and 3M on the front bumper for durability. Here is the guy web site http://www.ultimateshield.com/. He will post picture of my soon. FYI, make have installer cut individual pieces to go over the stripes. Otherwise you will see a bump. I asked for this custome modification. I will try to post some pictures

7_18_07_014.jpg

7_18_07_013.jpg

7_18_07_015.jpg

7_18_07_017.jpg

7_18_07_023.jpg

7_18_07_023.jpg

7_18_07_027.jpg

7_18_07_034.jpg

7_18_07_014.jpg

7_18_07_013.jpg

7_18_07_015.jpg

7_18_07_017.jpg