TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Three Cobras Tops 18,000 Posts!

Well, MILE posts anyway. Since we've got lots of folks with lots of posts - many of suspect value and content (and YOU know who you are, don't make me use initials) - I thought I'd use my own standard for posts here.

First, let me get this out of the way. Happy Birthday to me! I picked my car up from Bowditch Ford, Newport News, VA, on 21 July 2006 - their first Shelby arrival. I'll put in a plug for them here: played me straight and kept their word. I don't know what they are doing as far as ADMs on 08s, but I would recommend at least giving them a call - ask for Steve Horn, salesman. Plug complete.

I will hit 18,000 miles by Saturday, so I thought I'd provide a quick look at the last year for those who haven't had their cars that long, or who haven't sprung yet.

Problems: Zero.

Annoyances: 1.) ocassional dashboard squeak in Premuim Interior faux leather visor on top of dash, 2.) Stone Age rear suspension (see mods below), 3.) haven't found 'perfect' exhaust system yet.

High points: This car is a #%^*@!! ROCKET! It is the best car I've owned. Period. Agonized over trading in a Termy that I really, really, really liked. This car is better, period. Not perfect, mind you. Still attracts lots of attention, but I'm not seeing the phone cameras used as much, or people following me into the parking lot to talk. That's fine by me. Most people realize the debate is now settled - RED is fastest - so things are returning to normal.

Things to adapt to: 1.) This Mustang version is just plain bigger. While I really don't notice the weight gain over the Termy, there are more blind spots and it takes additional care backing up. 2.) The shifter is much better located than all previous Mustang's I've owned (93, 01, 04), and the pedals are well located for easy and worry-free heel and toe downshifitng. 3.) Thought I'd have trouble adapting to the goofy E-Brake handle location, but it hasn't been much of a bother. 4.) Poor lighting of dash instruments during daytime, in bright sun, while wearing sunglasses. VERY hard to read gauges, especially the small ones - wish I could turn up the white light which is on the instruments during the day. 5.) Termy seats were a little better for me with better side bolstering that held me in place more firmly. 6.) Softer ride than previous Mustangs. Seemed to porpoise around a lot when new, but bushings have taken a 'set' or I've gotten used to it now. Watts Link (below) relly got rid of most of the twitchiness in the rear end.

Mods: 1.) JLT CAI / Evo Stage I. Just do it. Period. 2.) FAYS2 Watts Link. Just do it. Goes a long way toward taming the Stone Age rear suspension on uneven bumpy roads, and especially in turns with noticeable expansion joints and disconinuities in the road surface. Should have been stock. Also feels as though I have put on larger diameter sway bars, especially rear bar. Car handles much more neutrally (less 'push', NASCAR fans). Haven't done any other suspension mods, not even bushings.

Tires: I am maybe halfway through the stock tires for wear, maybe a bit more. I don't baby the car, but don't thrash it. It's my daily, so it doesn't get treated as hard as by some others on this board. No unusual wear with exception of wearing the center more than the shoulders. Definitely looks like overinflation wear, but I used the stock 'Cold' pressures and checked frequently during seasonal temperature changes. Now using 32 - 33 PSI Cold to try to even up wear.

Gas Mileage: Tank after tank, 21 MPG +/- 0.5 MPG. Daily drive is half Interstate, some stop and go. Traffic generally precludes heroics or showboating even if that were my style. (I save that for other places - only need to impress myself anyway.)

Bottom Line: The more I drive this car, the less I notice any of the small stuff. Even some things that were annoyances don't even get any attention now. I am really, really, REALLY glad I bought this car.

Sour notes: Only ADMs. I am asked all the time if the car is worth thus and so ADM. I believed they would be gone long before now, so I didn't seriously give ADMs any thought. I was a Powerlease guy, so I got a great deal and no ADM, for the record. I would not like it, but knowing what I know now, I would probably consider an ADM just to be sure I got one of these cars. For the record, I can afford this car, but I didn't pay cash for it. That makes me like the majority on this Board I'd guess. I always shop around and always know more than the dealers do about any car I'm going to buy. I would drive the hardest bargain and/or drive hundreds of miles to get the car. At the end of the day, I would be willing to pay $5K over. There, I've said it. To each their own stand and principles. I have this car and have driven it for a year. That is more than I had on 20 July 2006. I am now in a better position to evaluate the pros and cons than I was then. Let me say again: I WOULD NOT LIKE PAYING THAT ADM.

Remember, too, that I had a leased Termy I could keep if I wanted to buy it, so that makes it harder to compare my situation to most others considering this car. I would probably have said then that I would pay no more than sticker or I'd keep the Termy for a year and see what develops.

Hope this helps others.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting 18,000 mile acessment 3C's. That watts link has to one of your best mods . The rear on these cars does like to dance around on even slightly bumby roads esp at speed .

I agree too that the seats could use a little more side bolstering. Backing this thing up is tedious at best. All in all it is an awsome car that is easily made better with a few tweeks here and there.

Your assumption of the fastest color is wrong though........Blue is the fastest. :shades:

Did anybody feel bump steer. I felt it a couple of times while braking for a red light where the pavement was uneven and bumpy? For a muscle car this is an extremely comfortable ride with power to spare. I wish we could improve traction without using drag radials.

Nice write-up ThreeCobras. When i drove George's I immediately noticed how much more roomy than the '01 Cobra, better leg room, better heel-toe position, less bolster support. One thing I really liked of the new seats is they're definately roomier/wider and the cockpit is much more spacious -- the '01 was a bit claustro. Great info on the watts!! thanks for all the insights...

John knows I was only kidding him.

Very articulate explication on the aesthetics of the Shelby, John-Boy!

I agree on the seats. I wish they had a Recaro option. The OEM's are fine for straight line driving - but I find myself bracing in the turns. Oh, for some real bolsters. And - I find my butt sliding lower as I drive along. How about a fabric insert area? Leather sucks. I only optioned for the leather because you really have a time trying to sell fabric seats. (vis a vie my recent 350Z - first 6 phone calls: "does it have leather?" :banghead: )

Now - on to serious issues. What's up with the cup holder placement right behind the gear lever??? Now, That's a handy bit of engineering. :redcard:

John knows I was only kidding him.

Very articulate explication on the aesthetics of the Shelby, John-Boy!

I agree on the seats. I wish they had a Recaro option. The OEM's are fine for straight line driving - but I find myself bracing in the turns. Oh, for some real bolsters. And - I find my butt sliding lower as I drive along. How about a fabric insert area? Leather sucks. I only optioned for the leather because you really have a time trying to sell fabric seats. (vis a vie my recent 350Z - first 6 phone calls: "does it have leather?" :banghead: )

Now - on to serious issues. What's up with the cup holder placement right behind the gear lever??? Now, That's a handy bit of engineering. :redcard:

they're only for drive-ins and submarine race watching in Sonic's back lot ;-)

Well, MILE posts anyway. Since we've got lots of folks with lots of posts - many of suspect value and content (and YOU know who you are, don't make me use initials) - I thought I'd use my own standard for posts here.

I rest my case - this thread is a perfect example. Mastersmech is the only serious dude here, except for that '24' crap.

RUF - the picture of the blue pool you posted in another thread was an inflatable kiddie pool. I just natcherly assumed that was your Deeluxe home above ground Kaytel $29.99 with shipping late-night TV bargain. :shades:

Bottom line: I post with dignity. :tease: :yup:

Mastermech?

Only serious dude?

Now I know why you live in the boonies....

....so you can smoke that stuff and not get caught.

You really should lay off that stuff and go back and check what you wrote. :hysterical2:

At least nobody has to follow me around with a little plastic bag and a scooper, Mister Poop.

Archived