TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Child seat - best location?

CanadianVenom

Hey there, I have a question for the experts. I got myself a 2007 Shelby GT500, and I have a son who is 5 years old and rides in a booster seat.

Is it safest to put the booster seat in the front or in the back?

I know, I know, the stock answer from the minivan & parenting world is "the safest place for the child seat is in the back seat", yadda yadda yadda.

I can see that being true for a family sedan or minivan or what-not, but does that general rule apply to a miniature back seat like in the Mustangs? There's not much room between the edge of the back seat, and the back of the front seat just ahead of it. And the little guy's legs don't come all the way over the edge of the seat, if he was in the back and there was a collision and the front seat moved backwards even 2 inches.... I think it would be pretty hard on the legs. Plus the rear glass is just right above his head.

I put the booster seat in the front to see how it fits, and it's a long way from the dash, plus the automatic "passenger airbag off" light comes on the dash. (GT500 has those side airbags too -- do they get deactivated as well??)

Soooooo..... just looking at it, the front seat looks like it has more room for any crushing to occur without contacting the booster seat, plus the airbag shuts off. Does that mean the front seat would be safer in this type of car?

Looking for some other input here.

Hey there, I have a question for the experts. I got myself a 2007 Shelby GT500, and I have a son who is 5 years old and rides in a booster seat.

I know, I know, the stock answer from the minivan & parenting world is "the safest place for the child seat is in the back seat", yadda yadda yadda.

I can see that being true for a family sedan or minivan or what-not, but does that general rule apply to a miniature back seat like in the Mustangs? There's not much room between the edge of the back seat, and the back of the front seat just ahead of it. And the little guy's legs don't come all the way over the edge of the seat, if he was in the back and there was a collision and the front seat moved backwards even 2 inches.... I think it would be pretty hard on the legs. Plus the rear glass is just right above his head.

I put the booster seat in the front to see how it fits, and it's a long way from the dash, plus the automatic "passenger airbag off" light comes on the dash. (GT500 has those side airbags too -- do they get deactivated as well??)

Soooooo..... just looking at it, the front seat looks like it has more room for any crushing to occur without contacting the booster seat, plus the airbag shuts off. Does that mean the front seat would be safer in this type of car?

Have you read the manual? There is a huge section on seat belts and child seats.

In the state of Mass. any child under 12 years old or 90 lbs.is supposed to ridein the back, no exceptions. Being a Mom, IMO, the safest place for a child is in the back seat no matter what.....Even with airbags off, the front is dangerous for a child...JMO. :)

In the state of Mass. any child under 12 years old or 90 lbs.is supposed to ridein the back, no exceptions. Being a Mom, IMO, the safest place for a child is in the back seat no matter what.....Even with airbags off, the front is dangerous for a child...JMO. :)

Agree. Why risk it? Why risk his injury, or worse?

Read the manual. I don't have one, but I'm not sure about the side airbags being deactivated.

Do what's right and safe.

Do what's right and safe.

Yup, exactly. I want to do what's safest.

What I'm struggling with right now is the idea that the back seat might not be safest in this type of car.

Who studies these kinds of things, would it be someplace like that place that does crash tests for the insurance companies? Or the fire/rescue departments? Maybe I'll start by calling the local fire/rescue station. It'd be nice to talk to an expert and find out the best thing to do.

Insurance institute crash test:

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/rating.aspx?id=762

For some reason, they tested a convertible, but Mustangs have always tested well in any case. I have two child seats in back. My daughter is 5 and I just have the front seat a few notches forward so she has some leg room.

I would never, ever put a booster seat up front.

Ask yourself one question: are you willing to bet your kids life on a simple interlock (seat sensor for the airbag)?

CanadianVenom,

I think you answered your question in the first sentence.

If you have a vehicle with a rear seat it is definitely the safest place for your 5 year old. I wouldn't mess with that logic.

Not sure what Province you live in, but in Ontario........

"The MTO recommends that children under the age of 13 years be placed in the back seat of the vehicle and away from active front air bags". This statement doesn't make a differentiation between Cars, SUVs Minivans, etc....

It isn't Law, so I guess you have final discretion. That being said, I know that my wife (ex) would Freak if I put my 6 and or 8 year old in the front with me! :finger: Personally, like Rat, I never would.

Comes back to a Parenting thing, I suppose......

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/faq/safety.htm#passenger15

Get a seat that has the strap that connects to the hook in the back window, and to the clips embedded in the seat. At that point, there is no doubt that the back seat is the safest place for a child.

There are a lot of studies that show those 3 clips increase child safety tremendously. If the one you have doesn't have em, get one.

As fast as hitting the back of the seat vs. the clearance in the front - if the child is properly restrained, and the seat is adjusted properly to give them room, they should never have a chance of hitting it.

- Tony

Insurance institute crash test:

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/rating.aspx?id=762

For some reason, they tested a convertible, but Mustangs have always tested well in any case.

Thanks for that link, ratnacage. Test data like that is what I was looking for.

Sounds like rear seat passenger fared better in the side-on, except a note that the convertible offered inadequate head protection for the rear passenger. But I have the coupe anyway.

"The MTO recommends that children under the age of 13 years be placed in the back seat of the vehicle and away from active front air bags". This statement doesn't make a differentiation between Cars, SUVs Minivans, etc....

The fact that the statement makes no differentiation between different vehicle types is one reason why I questioned it. One size does not fit all. It's our duty as parents and consumers to question blanket statements and see if they are reasonable for specific situations. Here's an example, picture using a booster seat on one of the rear jump seats in a Ranger supercab. It's a back seat, right? Yikes! Always ask questions and do research.

First let me say that I have not read the owners manual for this car regarding child restraints. I do have a convertible. I have three kids, 7,4, and 18 months. I have issues with securing car seats in this vehicle. Neither a car seat nor booster seat (4 year old) fits in these seats well. They are wider than the "pocket" in the back and any shifting of the seat causes it to sit at an angle. Personally I feel that the front seat would provide more protection in the event of a crash due to the side airbag and deactivated front air bag. The rear seat config offers no airbag protection in event of a side collision. I will pull out my owners manual today to research. This is a good thought provoking thread. Thanks for posting.

Archived