TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Close match to 5230-GTA OEM mufflers

tko

I have to replace the mufflers on my 2008 SGT but I cannot get the OEM 5230-GTA mufflers anymore.   Any suggestions / recommendations on the closest sound to the units that Shelby put on?

I need to make a decision ASAP  - I bought a set of Dynomax Ultraflows from a local exhaust shop and they are willing to take them back.  

OP, Jeff is pretty much spot on. The only difference , if I recall correctly,  is that the GTA sets have 4" Diameter Exhaust tips and the Bullitt GTB sets have 3.5" diameter exhaust tips.

I put on Borla Atak because they do not drone and I prefer the way sound over the GTA’s. Also have 4” tips.  No other mods...

GTA:

Borla:

KR exhausts are a great option as well. They are a bit louder than the Ataks, but also do not drone. They do have the 3.5” tip.  

On the KR...but you get the general idea...

Edited by mfield2a

1 hour ago, tko said:

Are they a lot louder than the original GTAs?

You are going to get a multitude of different opinions here. About the only true way to truly know what you would be satisfied with is to attend some cars shows that have a bunch of Mustangs and listen to the aftermarket exhaust sounds live of people who have retrofitted their cars. Many SGT owners in past threads on TS have done the KR Muffler on their SGT and have liked them. Yes they will be somewhat louder but quantifying that is an individual thing. A number of people have also retrofitted with Borlas and liked those as well. If you are trying to closely match your current sound then getting a Set of GTB (Bullitt Mufflers)  is probably your safest bet to match your existing sound. As I pointed out before, the exhaust tip on the GTB is 3.5" diameter and the exhaust tip on the GTA is 4" diameter. The only other difference is on the GTB, is  the exhaust tip is cut straight at a 90 degree angle to the longitudinal axis of the pipe and the GTA tips are under cut at a slight angle (about 15 degrees) to match the contour of the rear a little better.

I do not like the original Ford Racing Mufflers that came stock on the Shelby GT's....sound good on initial start-up but after that they sound way to quiet for me.  I put on American Thunder Classics by Flowmaster.  I saved the originals that came off the car at about 700 miles.  The Flowmasters have a nice beefy polished tip and the sound is a little tougher than stock.  

I've run Borla Touring, Borla ATAK, Ford Racing KR's, MACs, Bassanis and Magnaflows searching for that perfect sound.

ATAK's are louder than the GTA's when you are on the gas but around town they are great same with the KR's. The Borla Tourings have a deeper tone and similar sound to the GTA's. Macs and magnaflow sound great but drone like crazy so I wasn't a fan. 

My current setup is a set of bassani's. They have a dual tip like the GTA's deep sound and no drone. They are not as loud as the ATAK or KR's . Search my content I've posted a bunch of exhaust videos on my quest for the perfect muffler. Good luck.

https://lmr.com/item/BE-4607SR5/Bassani-Mustang-Gt-Gt500-Stainless-Steel-Race-Axle-Back

http://www.bassani.com/part/4607SR5

Edited by slbgtsc

• 2 weeks later...