TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Carroll Shelby Chili Kit

Anyone else love and make the Shelby Chili Kit.I have tried the other brands like 5 Alarm but to me this is the best chili kit. If you do how do you like your kit fixed. I prefer to use the ground beef, chopped onions & green peppers, and omit the one can of water and add a can of diced tomatoes. Sometimes will add beans but usually not. Always topped off with shredded cheddar cheese. Really good over spaghetti too. Glad we can still get the kits here in the northeast.

I have used his chili mix for years. There are dozens of recipe variations on line. One good site is the website for his chili kit at:

https://www.carrollshelbyschili.com/recipes?id=216

I usually use ground beef as well but have also used beef tips or ground turkey. It is really hard to make a bad chili with his kit. I usually make variations each time I make it, usually by throwing in a little fresh oregano or rosemary out of the garden or adding different types of peppers in to it. Thai Chili Peppers work good with his kit.  I have also used the chili kit as a dry rub on chicken or ribs when grilling out.

The “Smoke Bean Chilli” on the website is really good. I also buy one to two dozen packs a year to send to friends and family over seas and everybody I know has always liked it and asked for more. Good Stuff!

I’ve used his Chili Mix for probably 20 years as a basis for all kinds of chili. At first only ground beef but added variations such as a couple cans of HOT Rotel, diced jalapeños, black beans...you name it! It’s hard to mess it up. Try it with canned chicken. I first thought no but you’ll be surprised! From time to time, it’s hard to find. Food Lion likes to hide it!

8 hours ago, twobjshelbys said:

Never saw it anywhere in Colorado and just once here in Vegas, but not for the past 3 or 4 years.  I liked it the time I tried it.

Hi TwoBJShelbys, here is a link for a store locator that will help you find the chili kit within 5 miles of you.Just plug in your zip code.  Enjoy!

https://carrollshelbyschili.com/stores

Edited by mhr1961
spelling

I think most stores carry it, at least in the south east, it’s just knowing where to look. Even when I ask an employee I usually just get a blank stare. Carroll who, what? It’s almost never stocked with canned chili, rather with dry mixes like taco seasoning. If you’re looking in WalMart it’s anyone’s guess where they hidden it this week!

55 minutes ago, Pastor Passum said:

It’s almost never stocked with canned chili, rather with dry mixes like taco seasoning. 

Finding it has never been a problem for me but as PP noted its usually on the top shelf right above those seasoning packets from Lawry's, McCormick, etc.

Steven

• 10 months later...

Grabbed a couple of Boxes of Carroll Shelby Chili Kits while out running errands the other day.....with mask and gloves of course.  Made a big pot of it and watched a "Longmire" Marathon on Netflix yesterday. Great series, well worth a watch. 

On 5/8/2019 at 9:02 AM, Gts 500 said:

Anyone else love and make the Shelby Chili Kit.I have tried the other brands like 5 Alarm but to me this is the best chili kit. If you do how do you like your kit fixed. I prefer to use the ground beef, chopped onions & green peppers, and omit the one can of water and add a can of diced tomatoes. Sometimes will add beans but usually not. Always topped off with shredded cheddar cheese. Really good over spaghetti too. Glad we can still get the kits here in the northeast.

👍

2 hours ago, mhr1961 said:

Grabbed a couple of Boxes of Carroll Shelby Chili Kits while out running errands the other day.....with mask and gloves of course.  Made a big pot of it and watched a "Longmire" Marathon on Netflix yesterday. Great series, well worth a watch. 

I was thinking of the CS chili kit the other day.  Walmart used to have it but I've never run across it and like most things like that it's an impulse buy.  I should put it on the grocery list to remind the boss next time she goes.

Longmire was one of our favorite shows.  We frowned when it was canceled.   We also liked the limited series version of Fargo. 

Edited by twobjshelbys

19 minutes ago, twobjshelbys said:

I was thinking of the CS chili kit the other day.  Walmart used to have it but I've never run across it and like most things like that it's an impulse buy.  I should put it on the grocery list to remind the boss next time she goes.

Longmire was one of our favorite shows.  We frowned when it was canceled.   We also liked the limited series version of Fargo. 

Yes Fargo was good too, I have only seen a few episodes but liked it, so thanks for the reminder on that one. Yeah it sucks they cancelled Longmire. I wish they would maybe do a movie or two in the future to show Longmires life "after" everything that transpired, but who knows.......However, I am glad the show never ran so long that they had to  "jump the shark".

I finally took some time to binge watch all of Mad Men too. Another well written show.

ps: If you cant find Carroll's  Chilli Mix at Walmart, you can just order it on Amazon and have it shipped directly to your house. 

14 hours ago, twobjshelbys said:

I saw it at the local Walmart several years ago just in passing, so I grabbed a box, and it was really good.  Then I was looking for it a couple years ago and couldn't find it, but got 4 boxes sent to me by Bryan, and still have 2 left.  And I just tried that link up yonder and no Walmart in the local area carries it anymore, but Meier does.  So now I'll know where to look next time I run out.

I have seen it in Safeway and Albertson stores out West.  I have also seen it in Target stores. I have the original ones in the bag that Shelby produced before he sold the production rights.  It subsequently came in bags with different style covers and then in the current box style.😎

13 hours ago, 66GT350PS said:

I have seen it in Safeway and Albertson stores out West.  I have also seen it in Target stores. I have the original ones in the bag that Shelby produced before he sold the production rights.  It subsequently came in bags with different style covers and then in the current box style.😎

back in the day ....were also available in a 6 pack

6 pack.jpg

Edited by HERTZ II

The original package mix that Shelby started out of McKenny, TX, in August, 1969 came with a glossy red label with the black hat on a slightly smaller brown bag.  The  brand was sold to Kraft foods in July, 1986.  I am not sure when the current producer, Reilly Food Products of Louisiana picked it up.  For a few years back in the late 1970s-early 1980s, there was also a short run Shelbys Taco mix (orange label with black hat).  I am not good at posting photos, but I do have  some of the early Shelby Chili editions.😎

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Went to Walmart and remembered to look for the chili.  Having no idea where it would i used the Walmart app and searched for shelby chili.  Pointed me right to it.  In the aisle/shelves with other meals in a packet like taco mix.  Must be popular because they had two columns at eye level.

20200625_151652.jpg

Edited by twobjshelbys

7 minutes ago, twobjshelbys said:

Went to Walmart and remembered to look for the chili.  Having no idea where it would i used the Walmart app and searched for shelby chili.  Pointed me right to it.  In the sole with other meals in a packet like taco mix.  Must be popular because they had two columns at eye level.

Time to make up a big pot of it and binge watch Longmire!......just finished watching the Ozark series on Netflix. Its a bit violent at times, but brilliantly written with lots of unpredictable plot twists

2 hours ago, mhr1961 said:

Time to make up a big pot of it and binge watch Longmire!......just finished watching the Ozark series on Netflix. Its a bit violent at times, but brilliantly written with lots of unpredictable plot twists

I believe that  it should be compulsory eating for TV viewing of "Ford v Ferrari".  

• 2 years later...
On 6/25/2020 at 9:30 PM, Don Johnston said:

I believe that  it should be compulsory eating for TV viewing of "Ford v Ferrari".  

Ford vs Ferrari Chili:

1 lb of Texas steer meat and 0.45 Kg Italian Sausage.

Follow the directions on the package and add enough onions to make Enzo cry.