TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SHELBY AMERICAN TO BUILD LIMITED EDITION SUPERCHARGED SHELBY GT-S MUSTANGS FOR SIXT RENT A CAR

ForumAdmin

SHELBY AMERICAN TO BUILD LIMITED EDITION SUPERCHARGED
SHELBY GT-S MUSTANGS FOR SIXT RENT A CAR

ShelbySixtLogo.jpg

LOS ANGELES – May 2, 2019Shelby American, a wholly owned subsidiary of Carroll Shelby International Inc. (CSBI:PK), has been commissioned to build a group of exclusive supercharged 2019 Shelby GT’s for SIXT Rent A Car. Based on the world-class Ford Mustang fastback, the 600+ horsepower “Shelby GT-S” announced today in Southern California is the first supercharged V8 powered Shelby rental car offered by a national chain in history. Clad in the company’s iconic orange and black, the first 20 cars will be available for rent at select Southern California, Southern Florida and Las Vegas locations.

“Shelby American has earned a reputation for building the most exciting rental cars for over fifty years,” said Gary Patterson, Shelby American president. “Our team is honored to make history with SIXT by offering the first supercharged V8 Ford Mustang available at multiple rental car locations across the US. The hot new SIXT edition 2019 Ford Shelby GT-S Mustang will make any trip an amazing and memorable adventure.”

SIXT is a multinational car rental company with about 2,200 locations in over 105 countries. The company has been expanding across the USA since 2011 and is currently the country's fourth-largest car rental company. SIXT has 55 locations including 20 top airports in the United States. Most recently, the mobility service provider was honored with the World Travel Awards as the USA’s leading car rental company and the Trazee Award as the most popular car rental company among the Millennials target group.

"Our customers are itching to get behind the wheel of the first SIXT customized Shelby,” said Sebastian Birkel, CEO, SIXT USA. “We're always looking to grow our fleet with premium cars that bring passion and excitement to the drive. We can’t think of car that better fits that idea than Ford's brand new fully loaded Shelby. This will be the first ever supercharged Shelby available to rent and we are thrilled to have it at SIXT”

Sixt.jpg

The Shelby GT-S sports cars will be built by Shelby American at its Las Vegas facility for rental in the summer of 2019. Each rental fastback will be powered by a supercharged 5.0L V8 and 10 speed automatic transmission. Shelby tailored the suspension to maximize the car’s capabilities without sacrificing ride quality. The Brembo brakes have impressive stopping power to match the Shelby’s amazing power. The exterior features proprietary bodywork, SIXT badges and stylish wheels, while Shelby touches can be found throughout the interior. Many of the components were developed specifically for SIXT’s Shelby GT-S program.

“The SIXT edition Shelby GT-S combines terrific handling with astonishing power, excellent braking, a muscular exhaust note and striking good looks,” said Vince LaViolette, Shelby American Vice President of Operations and Head of Development. “We worked closely with SIXT to design a car that makes a bold statement when you see it and then delivers when behind the wheel. SIXT is giving the public a very rare opportunity to enjoy one of the best sports cars in the world at some of the most exciting destinations in the US. This is the rental car experience that people could only dream about before the Shelby GT-S.”

Every Shelby GT-S will receive a Shelby serial number and be included in the official Shelby Registry. Once the cars are retired from rental duty, they will be available for purchase and the new owners can return their Shelby GT-S to the factory for further enhancements. Individuals interested in renting or buying a Shelby GT-S Mustang please visit www.SIXT.com.

The Shelby American facility is at 6405 Ensworth Street in Las Vegas. For more information, visit www.shelby.com. 

About Shelby American, Inc.

Founded by legend Carroll Shelby, Shelby American, a wholly owned subsidiary of Carroll Shelby International Inc. (CSBI:PK), manufactures and markets performance vehicles and related products. The company builds authentic continuation Cobras, including the 427 S/C, 289 FIA, 289 street car, Daytona Coupe and Shelby Series 2 component vehicles; it offers the Shelby GT, 1000, Super Snake, and GT post-title packages for the 2005-2019 Ford Mustang. Shelby American also offers the Shelby Raptor, Shelby F-150 Super Snake and Shelby F-150 trucks. Heritage cars include the continuation 1965 Shelby GT350 competition model, 1967 Ford Shelby Super Snake and 1968 Ford Shelby GT500KR. For more information, visit www.Shelby.com.

About SIXT

Headquartered in Pullach, near Munich, Germany, SIXT SE is a leading international

provider of high-quality mobility services. With its products SIXT rent, SIXT share and SIXT

ride, the company offers a unique, integrated range of global mobility services in the areas of car rental, car sharing and ride services. These products can be booked via a single app that

also integrates the services of mobility partners. SIXT is present in approximately 110

countries worldwide. The company’s strengths lie in its consistent customer focus, its culture

of innovation with strong technological expertise, its high share of premium cars in the fleet

and an attractive price-performance ratio. The SIXT Group generated revenues of

EUR 2.6 billion in 2017 and is one of the most profitable mobility service providers worldwide.

SIXT SE, the Group’s parent company, has been listed on the Frankfurt Stock Exchange

since 1986 (WKN common shares: 723132, WKN preferred shares: 723133).

https://about.sixt.de

###

Media Contacts

Shelby American: Scott Black of TPRM at (214) 520-3430 ext. 303 or sblack@tprm.com

SIXT: Cody Beavers at (888) 942-7498 ext. 4034 or cody.beavers@sixt.com  

SIXT Edition Shelby GT-S Feature List

Performance

600+ horsepower Shelby Supercharger (program specific)

Shelby GT deep draw hood with vents

Shelby GT front fascia assembly

Front brake and hub bearing cooling ducts

Shelby spec 20inch wheels, staggered

Shelby X-COMP tires

Ford Performance springs

Ford Performance sway bars

Shelby by Borla cat-back exhaust

“SHELBY” by Brembo front brake system (program specific)

Exterior

“SHELBY” upper grille

Shelby rocker panels

Shelby rocker wings

Rear spoiler

“SHELBY” Tail light panel

Le Mans style striping

“SHELBY GT-S” driver and passenger side stripes (program specific)

Shelby GT Emblems and badging

“SIXT SUPERCHARGED” side badging (program specific)

Interior

Shelby leather interior (program specific)

“SHELBY” lighted door sill plates

“SHELBY” engine caps

CSM numbered dash plaque and engine plate (program specific)

Shelby tech signature manufacturing plate

“SHELBY” Embroidered floor mats

2 minutes ago, twobjshelbys said:

I love that color combo.  Is it a stock Ford color or a special for Sixt?

I've seen their rental location in Vegas. It is across the street from the main rental car complex.  Never heard of them before until today. 

The orange body color seems to be different from the orange stripe color. I suspect the body color is from Ford.

32 minutes ago, Al G. said:

The orange body color seems to be different from the orange stripe color. I suspect the body color is from Ford.

The current Ford Color on the Ford Build Your Own website is a color called "Orange Fury". Not sure if it this color in the release picture above is the same but it looks pretty close. I like the hood and the front treatment. Nice vehicle.

Edited by mhr1961

Love the color combo, I wouldn’t touch these after they are rented, they will absolutely be beat to living hell while rented.

That said this is a great way to get Shelby business and continue to push the Name, it’s also a great way to get people to rent before they order their own Shelby GT.

Have to save very disappointed as don't get me wrong its great for business but I look at this car and it looks exactly like a Shelby GT and Super Snake.  If going to build something new change the look give it its own identity 

10 hours ago, 39Mustang said:

Have to save very disappointed as don't get me wrong its great for business but I look at this car and it looks exactly like a Shelby GT and Super Snake.  If going to build something new change the look give it its own identity 

It was all the hype of something "new" that was disappointing, given it's a Shelby GT with extra badging and several specific SGT add-ons? It's a limited edition of a current build. That said, I love the orange (can't believe I just said that), and those will be rare in the future. We'll have to see if one or two are set aside as executive cars (low mile and unbeaten), especially an orange one.

Edited by BlackSGT

12 hours ago, 39Mustang said:

In the mid 1960s the GT350-H was basically a Shelby GT-350 with some additional badges. The intent of the program was to promote that line of Shelby Vehicles and the Shelby Brand. Rent a GT350-H, like it?......then you easily go buy a similar GT350 and know what you are getting. They did the same thing in 2006-2007 GT-H. Go rent a 2006-2007 GT-H, Like it?......go buy a similar car in the 2007-2008 Shelby GT. Same thing going on here with the new GT-S. Rent a 2019/20 Shelby GT-S, Like it? Go buy a similar 2019 Shelby GT. Doing similar models through co branding also reduces economies of scale for SAI and helps keeps cost lowered to the consumer as well via commonality of many components. It also helps reduce engineering/design costs. Your complaint makes no sense from a marketing, engineering or economic standpoint. The car has its own identity through badging….. just like its predecessors.

Cool that Shelby continues rolling out new Mustang offerings.  I'd really like to see a fully designed Shelby Sports car again in the not too distant future rather than a hopped up Mustang.  I know it is costly to design and build a car from the ground up, but with the Shelby name and a good economy it would sell.  Maybe a modern day Cobra or Daytona?  That would be epic.

35 minutes ago, ViperNC said:

Cool that Shelby continues rolling out new Mustang offerings.  I'd really like to see a fully designed Shelby Sports car again in the not too distant future rather than a hopped up Mustang.  I know it is costly to design and build a car from the ground up, but with the Shelby name and a good economy it would sell.  Maybe a modern day Cobra or Daytona?  That would be epic.

I agree, it would be great to see a “ from the ground up” new design but it is probably cost prohibitive,  unless they partnered with a larger company. It would be nice to see a version of the modern era 2004 Cobra Concept Car be put in to production at some point jointly with Ford or through SAI directly.

I hope the new GT-S program is a success for them. It said initially 20 cars to be released. If successful, I think there will be more built for the rental Fleet or sold to the public at some point.

Extremely doubt a ground up effort of a new Shelby vehicle..  Look at the challenges and law suits after the amazing and unique Series I, the only car that SA has designed and built from scratch. With all the multi-millions needed for regulatory test and approval, it is too expensive a gamble. No major manufacturer would be expected jump in as Ford did for SA back in the 60s as they are having challenging times as well.  The only probable effort would be a foreign investment of an e-Cobra or e-Shelby vehicle and that would not sit well with the current fans of the Shelby legacy.😎

I don’t foresee a ground up vehicle happening either, but who knows what the future holds. I have no problem with Electric Vehicles and SAI may very well have to step in to that arena at some point in the not too distant future and I wouldn’t lump all Shelby Enthusiasts in to internal combustion engine fans. I like both,  and have no problem with SAI building an Electric Vehicle. There have already been several electric Cobras (Replicas) produced and they are fast.

Back to topic....  The new Shelby GT-S. It is now shown on the SIXT website. I entered some dates for May, July and then October but it currently shows unavailable. Hopefully we will see an announcement from SAI when it will be available in to the SIXT rental Fleet. I want to rent one when I go to Vegas in late summer because I am considering buying a 2019 Shelby GT Convertible, so hopefully this new Shelby GT-S will be available soon.

On 5/5/2019 at 9:07 AM, mhr1961 said:

Back to topic....  The new Shelby GT-S. It is now shown on the SIXT website. I entered some dates for May, July and then October but it currently shows unavailable. Hopefully we will see an announcement from SAI when it will be available in to the SIXT rental Fleet. I want to rent one when I go to Vegas in late summer because I am considering buying a 2019 Shelby GT Convertible, so hopefully this new Shelby GT-S will be available soon.

At this time Sixt is stating that the GT-S will be available for rent starting in the summer of 2019. Like previous Shelby rental programs as soon as the first cars are completed they will be put into rental service. If I had to guess the Sixt website software is not set-up to accept reservations for a vehicle not yet in their inventory so I would suggest checking their website or calling the  McCarren Airport Sixt rental car location towards the end of May for updates.

I'll also try to post some ETA's once we get the GT-S into full time production.

Steven

On 5/4/2019 at 12:30 PM, mhr1961 said:

I hope the new GT-S program is a success for them. It said initially 20 cars to be released. If successful, I think there will be more built for the rental Fleet or sold to the public at some point.

Correct. This is a new relationship and a first for Sixt so the future most likely will be decided on how often the GT-S is being rented and how much the cars sell for after rental duty.

Steven

On 5/3/2019 at 9:15 PM, 39Mustang said:

Carl,

The GT-S does have a new look look and certainly has its own identity but I suppose you are suggesting it have an even bolder look and all I can say is what you propose costs $$ which would be a little difficult for Sixt to recoup on a 20 unit build.

As mentioned in another post, take a look at a 1966 Shelby GT350 and a 1966 Shelby GT350-H, only diehard Shelby enthusiasts can tell the difference. 

If the Shelby GT-S is not for you there are plenty of other Shelby models to choose from. It's not like the GT-S is our only product :)

Steven

It is a great business move by them. To bring back a real high performance rental car is a real wake up call for Shelby history. I mean the late model Hertz cars were nice but they weren’t really a super hipo car, it just had the look. I actually can’t wait to rent one when they are available! Good PR move by SiXT, they’ll surely get a lot of attention through many outlets of journalism in the automobile world.

EDITED:

Edited by SWEDEMAN

6 hours ago, SWEDEMAN said:

It is a great business move by them. To bring back a real high performance rental car is a real wake up call for Shelby history. I mean the late model Hertz cars were nice but they weren’t really a super hipo car, it just had the look. I actually can’t wait to rent one when they are available! Good PR move by SiXT, they’ll surely get a lot of attention through many outlets of journalism in the automobile world.

EDITED:

The 2016 Shelby GT H car is a excellent Shelby with power.

13 hours ago, MKW said:

The 2016 Shelby GT H car is a excellent Shelby with power.

The new SiXT rentals come with a supercharger and the Hertz cars did not. They are much more powerful cars than the Hertz cars out of the gate. 

Now I do know that there were some Hertz that were SC'd that were done by the executives, but not rental ready cars from what I know. Correct me if I am wrong here.

However......the Hertz cars are much nicer in appearance than the new SiXT rentals. IMO of course.

18 hours ago, twobjshelbys said:

The horsepower of the car might at or near the top for a non-exotic,eg Ferrari or other supercars,  in a standard rental fleet car.   I expect they will get thrashed and more than a few wrecked before they get sold on the retail market. 

Hard to say and a case could be made either way. While the daily rental rate has yet to be publicly released it will be high enough to keep a certain group of renters out of the picture which should assist in keeping losses down. 

Don't quote me on this as I may certainly be incorrect but I seem to recall that the GT-H cars had a lower than average loss rate during their rental time meaning more people were wrecking other Hertz rentals at a higher percentage rate over the GT-H cars.

Only time will tell and I'm sure any losses will factor in Sixt's evaluation process on future performance rental cars.

Steven

On 5/11/2019 at 2:59 PM, shelby001 said:

Any way of getting one of those Hero cards?

They were part of the media day presentation so they are not available to the GP but I will try to get them for the buyers of the Sixt rental cars when that time rolls around.

Steven