TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Car show pics

In my small city (yes, I own it :hysterical: ) there was a car show today. I didn't think I'd be able to go....but I made it...here's my story.

As some of you know it's been rough at work lately. I worked 64 hours Monday through Friday this week. As of Friday night at 7 pm we were not finished. Our CEO was going on a plane ride from Indianapolis to Brazil on Saturday at 5 pm, so we had to finish the analysis, create a "binder" of it for him, and have it couriered (is that a word?) to the airport (which is an hour away) by 4 pm today.

I arrived at work this morning, mentally exhausted from the week. I thought I'd be working until 3 pm. I knew there was a car show nearby, but didn't think I'd make it. Then, things fell into place. My work went smoothly, and I finished by 11 am. The registration for the show was open until noon, so I hustled over and got signed in. Got to spend 3 hours there. :happy feet:

They had about 250 cars. It was an open show, but was sponsored by our local Corvette club, so there were lots of vettes. A few interesting things to note:

th_134-3482_IMG.jpg

th_134-3481_IMG.jpg

4 - I LOVE the look of this vintage Mach I. Very nice.

th_134-3479_IMG.jpg

th_134-3478_IMG.jpg

th_134-3477_IMG.jpg

7 - My darling wife learned how to drive on one of these...so she wanted a memory shot. :happy feet:

th_134-3476_IMG.jpg

8 - Stangbanger and Ponykiller...these next few shots are for you guys.

th_134-3485_IMG.jpg

th_134-3475_IMG.jpg

th_134-3474_IMG.jpg

Give me a few minutes to add some commentary here...it's 4:05 EST now.

Dave

Here are more:

11 - take special note of these next 3 pics. This is a Saturn Sky. But not just any Sky...this is a conversion by Mallett (sp?). Buy the car ($24k), send it to them with a check for $22k more, and they send you back an LS-2 powered (400 HP Corvette engine) ~3,200 pound rocket with upgraded brakes, springs/shocks, radiator, and other mods. I'll bet that thing is fun. WOW.

th_134-3473_IMG.jpg

th_134-3472_IMG.jpg

th_134-3471_IMG.jpg

th_134-3470_IMG.jpg

15 - This is about the color and scheme (striping) that my '69 Camaro will be getting. The car shown is actually a '68...but close to my car.

th_134-3468_IMG.jpg

th_134-3467_IMG.jpg

th_134-3466_IMG.jpg

18 - These last two are the car of "yours truly". :happy feet:

th_134-3465_IMG.jpg

th_134-3464_IMG.jpg

Edited Sky weight...the guy at the show had misinformed me...I verified in two other places and have changed the weight.

Ok, and here's a few more.

1 - This is a Corvette club's idea of entertainment. They brought out some of their...ahem...senior members...and had them do the Village People YMCA dance. One owner was spelling C - O - R - .... :finger:

th_134-3487_IMG.jpg

2 - I have no idea what this freaking thing was...nor do I care. :banghead::hysterical:

th_134-3486_IMG.jpg

3 - A nice Mach I

th_134-3490_IMG.jpg

4 - Any Ferrari fans?

th_134-3489_IMG.jpg

Great pictures Dave! I especially liked seeing that stingray. The Sky was interesting, I wonder how it handles with all of that weight up front? Thats got to weigh about twice what the stock engine does. At least, you know it will go like hell straight :happy feet:

Nice pictures Dave. :happy feet:

Your car looks good too. :happy feet:

I read about the Sky with the LS2 conversion recently. I bet that thing is a lot of fun. And it will probably sneek up on a few people too. Although I think it weighs about the same as a C6.

Edit: I like the 63 Split Window too.

Great write up Dave!

I think the orange #2 in your last post might be a Studebaker.

I love the original Cobras, of course.

And my favorite Vette is the silver '63 split window!

Your Shelby also looks great. Love the 1/4 window scoops!

Is that a '63 Impala your wife is standing next to?

Thanks for the Vette pics for my buds! :happy feet:

Great pictures Dave! I especially liked seeing that stingray. The Sky was interesting, I wonder how it handles with all of that weight up front? Thats got to weigh about twice what the stock engine does. At least, you know it will go like hell straight :happy feet:

That Vette/Sky doesn't make sense to me. Why not just buy a C6?

It's like those Monster Miatas with Ford V8's. Nose heavy and where's the resale value?

Oh, well. If you want an ultimate sleeper.

Nice pictures Dave. :happy feet:

Your car looks good too. :happy feet:

I read about the Sky with the LS2 conversion recently. I bet that thing is a lot of fun. And it will probably sneek up on a few people too. Although I think it weighs about the same as a C6.

Edit: I like the 63 Split Window too.

He told me the base Sky weighs about 2550 (but he was wrong...see below). Not sure how much extra all the other "stuff" adds.

Edit: He was wrong about the weight. THe base Sky weighs 2,965. I would guess with the V8 and other parts that thing is around 3,200-3,300 lbs.

Great write up Dave!

I love the original Cobras, of course.

And my favorite Vette is the silver '63 split window!

Your Shelby also looks great. Love the 1/4 window scoops!

Is that a '63 Impala your wife is standing next to?

Thanks for the Vette pics for my buds! :happy feet:

Yes 63 impala...booooorrrrinnnnng. :hysterical:

That Vette/Sky doesn't make sense to me. Why not just buy a C6?

It's like those Monster Miatas with Ford V8's. Nose heavy and where's the resale value?

Oh, well. If you want an ultimate sleeper.

I think there are several reasons RUF.

1) Originality...something few others have

2) Small..which makes it easy to maneuver/handle/park

3) Sleeper

4) Insurance costs probably less than a Vette...although I'm sure you'd either have to attach a "stated value" rider or you'd only get the base car price when you totaled it.

5) It's not too nose heavy...see my other post.

I really like it....but I'd want to learn more before putting my money down. I think starting in '08 you can get one with a V6 from the factory...let me do some research on that. :stats:

Edit: I checked the Saturn website...I was wrong. The "upgrade" from the base 177 HP 4-cylinder is a turbocharged 4 putting out 260 HP at 5,300 RPM and 260 lb*ft from 2,500 to 5,200 RPM. What's odd is that the base engine is a 2.4L, and the Redline engine is a 2.0L...SMALLER. It has VVT on both intake and exhaust valves. Square bore 86mm x 86mm with 9.2 Compression ratio.

The guy was wrong about the weight however, the web site says the base car weighs 2,965 lbs...not as light as I had thought. :redcard: I'll edit my original post on this.

Dave

On the base car, it weighs weight distribution is

Dave

Great write up Dave!

1951 Studebaker to be precise. What does he have under the hood?

Nice pictures, glad you could get some time to relax. Today is a great day for a car show!

One of the great things about cars from the '50's was the fabric they used on the seats.

Cool in the summer - warm in the winter - and it would last and last.

The only reason I got leather in my Mustang is for resale.

For some unknown reason, people today want leather.

Some of those herringbone-type fabrics back then were much better suited to driving, In My Very Humble Opinion!

Oh - I'm old, so I know about these things. :hysterical2:

1951 Studebaker to be precise. What does he have under the hood?

Nice pictures, glad you could get some time to relax. Today is a great day for a car show!

Yep `51 Studie you can see the rear of it on the model he has on the air breather.

Don`t get to close to it might eat Black Stangs :hysterical2:

I teach at a community college (Aims CC in Greeley, CO) where they had a car show today. Lots of nice cars, including two Shlebys! (ok one of them is mine). I thought Grabber, and BoneDoc among others might enjoy looking at the other Shelby--owned by an especially nice guy who is also a pinstripping-wizard. Here are a few pics:

th_AimsCarShow032.jpg

th_AimsCarShow019.jpg

th_AimsCarShow014.jpg

th_AimsCarShow017.jpg

th_AimsCarShow012.jpg

th_AimsCarShow010.jpg

th_AimsCarShow008.jpg

th_AimsCarShow005.jpg

th_AimsCarShow004.jpg

th_AimsCarShow001-1.jpg

Alloy Davey,

Very nice pic's and post. I enjoyed it. Looks like you had a blast. Your car shows well. I get to see Putnamdo's Alloy alot and I love it. :happy feet:

CobraCrazy,

I do like that Grabber and have not seen the scoops on one like that. I am fond of the lower scoops more so than the uppers.

All that restoration and he still didn't fix the ugly! :hysterical2:

Err..hope that wasn't your car. :unsure: If so nice job!

:hysterical: no, not mine...

...my uncle had a Stude with a 3rd headlight in the middle (I was a kid -- don't remember the year)... they were ugly'unusual' cars. Stude made P/U trucks too, which actually looked 'normal!' ;-)

I almost missed this post Dave. Nice pictures.

I have always been partial to the split tail myself, the split window is cool too. :hysterical:

Now I know why I would never join a Vette Club. Village People indeed, weird. :redcard:

Old Mach, one of my favorites. :dreamy:

And of course, that Alloy Shelby is looking good. :happy feet:

Hope you get a chance to catch up on your rest. :boring:

Archived