TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2 owner 67 Gt500

mongo133

Working on a jobsite, an older superintendent and I got into a talk about old muscle cars. Turns out he’s got a 67 gt500 that’s been in his garage for years, not the factory engine (blown up years before) but everything else is there 428/4spd. It’s running and all there. He wants to sell it. He knows what they’re worth, or says he does. I’m trying to help him sell it. What is it worth and who would be interested in the car? Thanks and any help would be appreciated. Get back to me if you guys can. Thanks again:)

28 minutes ago, mongo133 said:

Working on a jobsite, an older superintendent and I got into a talk about old muscle cars. Turns out he’s got a 67 gt500 that’s been in his garage for years, not the factory engine (blown up years before) but everything else is there 428/4spd. It’s running and all there. He wants to sell it. He knows what they’re worth, or says he does. I’m trying to help him sell it. What is it worth and who would be interested in the car? Thanks and any help would be appreciated. Get back to me if you guys can. Thanks again:)

Mongo,

The first step is the car must be authenticated as a real Shelby GT500 and not just an owner modified Ford Mustang.  Do you have the cars Ford & Shelby VIN/Serial numbers? If so please do not post them on this or any other public forum just let us know if you have them and we can go from there.

Steven

I talked to him and all the Shelby tags/all the vin are there. He bought it in the mid 70’s, drove it. Blew up the engine. Parked it, got an engine built for it,  had it painted in the mid 80’s and it’s been  in his garage 30+ years. 

3 hours ago, mongo133 said:

I talked to him and all the Shelby tags/all the vin are there. He bought it in the mid 70’s, drove it. Blew up the engine. Parked it, got an engine built for it,  had it painted in the mid 80’s and it’s been  in his garage 30+ years. 

Any photos & numbers to verify ? 

For the 60s cars it would also be good to check with the folks at www <dot> saacforum <dot> com.  While Steve can help authenticate if the car is a real Shelby, SAAC folks trade in them and can give you a better idea of a price range.

(Note, this forum doesn't like to have the full saac web site spelled out. 

4 hours ago, mongo133 said:

Ownership from the 1970's is a good sign that the car may indeed be a real Shelby but it takes a lot more than that to determine authenticity.  If you want to email me with one or both of the cars VIN/Serial numbers we can start with that and go from there.

My email address is stevent@shelby.com

The owner should contact the Shelby American Auto Club 1967 Sheby registrar for verification: 

Dave Mathews: dmathews@prodigy.net

It is impossible to give a fair price estimate without an appraisal of the car.   It is a bit less valued without the original engine.  However, overall condition and history are important.  Saying that the owners know "what they are worth" could be conjecture by looking non-realistic auction prices and what asking prices are for other '67 GT500 without knowing the details about the cars.  The difference in the price of concours correct car versus a barn find that needs substatial restoration is quite dramatic.  There is a value number for a buyer somewhere in between once they know more details about the Shelby.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...