TEAM SHELBY FORUM

At 88,000 miles it's well past time to change shocks and struts from the originals. I set my sights on Koni Yellow but a friend suggested Koni Red. I had not heard of this version. When I looked into it I got the impression that they don't seem like much more than replacement for OEM Mustang GT parts. Does anyone have experience or a suggestion? My car is just a weekend driver. Not tracked. That said I greatly enjoy carving corners when the opportunity presents itself.

Thanks for your help. Hope to see a lot of you at the Fabulous Fords Forever show this Sunday! It's going to be very different this year not being at Knott's Berry Farm.   

I was looking into putting on the Koni Orange.  Like you, not a track car, so no need for the adjustable yellows.  I'm told the orange is pretty much the same as the yellow set to soft, which is probably where most would like it.  I would hope it would be an improvement in comfort over the stocks.  

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the feedback ITHERTZ66. I decided to pull the trigger on the Yellows after all. I learned they come from the factory on the "full soft" setting so we'll see. They're supposed to be delivered May 1 or 2.  

Hey Mark - please report back after you install them and get some miles.  I'd love to hear your feedback.  I'd like to know how much difference it made, if any.  Are you keeping your stock K springs?  Since your stock mounts will probably be completely shot, you should also plan on replacing the upper shock mounts with the GT500 ones.  https://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-gt500-strutmount-0512.html

The Koni's were installed today along with the GT500 mounts and a four-wheel alignment. Thanks to this site I was aware of the need to change the mounts, but thanks for the tip anyway. The Koni's came set in the middle of the adjustment range and that's where I left them. The adjustment looks very easy to do. I left the original springs in place because I love how the car sits. After a short test drive before accepting the car and the three mile drive home so far I am happy. Ride is improved, steering feels great, and it just seems to feel more planted. As you say, the final verdict will be after driving it for a few hundred miles so stay tuned. And thanks for your interest! 

Thanks for the update Mark.  I'm very curious about all this.  My car still has the stock K springs and struts.  I feel like I should be wearing a mouth guard when I drive it on some local roads.  I'd love to keep the stance and character of the car, but I need it to be less jolting driving on the street.  I was thinking the yellows on full soft or the oranges would be a good change, but I'm not sure how much the struts would affect the ride comfort I'm seeking or if I'm limited by the springs controlling most of this.

I've used both over the years and both are quality shocks. I still have the Yellows on my GT/SC w/ Griggs Racing Springs and they work great. However, more than one shop said if upgrading to the Yellows you should change the Springs that are calibrated to work with the Yellows. If all you do with it is a daily driver then the Reds are plenty good enough