TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Can Alcoa's Be Repaired?

ShelbyEra08

Unfortunately i had the opportunity to curb one of my 20-Inch 50th Anniversary Alcoa Wheels the other day. I really dont have the money to purchase a wheel on eBay from one of the people that want crazy $$ for just one wheel. Has anyone had luck getting any curb rashes fixed on their Alcoa's?

Maybe @SAI-Steven or anyone else at Shelby have any suggestions or recommendations on where to possibly get my wheel fixed?

Edited by ShelbyEra08

2 hours ago, Macman756 said:

Any aluminum wheel can be repaired for rash. Is it polished? Will probably cost $200-$300 but will look brand new. Google some wheel restoration places 

The wheels has the durabright finish. So that is what I am worried about

Ok thanks, i did reach out to Alcoa today and they dont have a re-finish program, but they told me it can be repaired as well, just need to find a good place to get it repaired. I have been seeing multiple talk about the Alloy Wheel Repair, just need to find one that is close to me

Edited by ShelbyEra08

On 3/31/2019 at 7:11 AM, ShelbyEra08 said:

Unfortunately i had the opportunity to curb one of my 20-Inch 50th Anniversary Alcoa Wheels the other day. I really dont have the money to purchase a wheel on eBay from one of the people that want crazy $$ for just one wheel. Has anyone had luck getting any curb rashes fixed on their Alcoa's?

Maybe @SAI-Steven or anyone else at Shelby have any suggestions or recommendations on where to possibly get my wheel fixed?

This topic needs to be broken down into two areas of repair, the physical wheel and the Dura-brite finish.

Yes the physical wheel can easily be repaired by a competent wheel repair shop. No the proprietary Dura-brite finish can not be repaired, it must be stripped off and replicated the best it can by polishing and clear coating the wheel.

If the curb rash is just on the lip of the wheel I would consider having just that area stripped & repaired while trying to leave as much of the original dura-brite finish on the rest of the wheel.

I've probably mentioned this before but if I haven't here goes. Alcoa's dura-brite finish was originally used on 18 wheel big rig wheels and was promoted as a maintenance-free wheel finish. Kinda like teflon coating on your frying pan, neglect it and it still comes clean with a wipe of a paper towel. So with that in mind you may want to research big rig wheel repair companies to see how they mimic the dura-brite finish when repairing big rig wheels.

Steven

1 hour ago, SAI-Steven said:

This topic needs to be broken down into two areas of repair, the physical wheel and the Dura-brite finish.

Yes the physical wheel can easily be repaired by a competent wheel repair shop. No the proprietary Dura-brite finish can not be repaired, it must be stripped off and replicated the best it can by polishing and clear coating the wheel.

If the curb rash is just on the lip of the wheel I would consider having just that area stripped & repaired while trying to leave as much of the original dura-brite finish on the rest of the wheel.

I've probably mentioned this before but if I haven't here goes. Alcoa's dura-brite finish was originally used on 18 wheel big rig wheels and was promoted as a maintenance-free wheel finish. Kinda like teflon coating on your frying pan, neglect it and it still comes clean with a wipe of a paper towel. So with that in mind you may want to research big rig wheel repair companies to see how they mimic the dura-brite finish when repairing big rig wheels.

Steven

Hey Steve, can the Dura-brite finish be applied to any Aluminum Wheel if it is polished, such as Aluminum Slot Wheels?

1 hour ago, SAI-Steven said:

Steven

Thanks for the info, luckily the curb rash is on the lip near the tire and not on the actual face of the wheel

Edited by ShelbyEra08

1 hour ago, tesgt350 said:

Hey Steve, can the Dura-brite finish be applied to any Aluminum Wheel if it is polished, such as Aluminum Slot Wheels?

From what I recall the proprietary Dura Brite finish bonds by penetrating the aluminum as compared to a wheel that is clear-coated where the clear-coat sits on top of the aluminum surface.

I'm not sure what type of surface prep Alcoa uses but I would suspect a highly polished surface would not be optimum for the Dura Brite process to penetrate the aluminum.

Alcoa has an 800 customer service phone number but I suspect you will not get too far asking about their proprietary Dura Brite process.

Steven