TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Antenna pictures?

cwilder

Any one change out their ugly factory antenna? If so what did you cahnge to and if you have some pics.

THanks,

CW

I bought the 14" one from American Muscle for $17.99.

It's profile lines up with the roof line. Click on the full image for a better look.

GOintheGrass004.jpg

Thanks Grabber! Looks much better. I'm ordering tomorrow.

CW

I put them on both of my cars and the radios in both still work the same. No reception problems at all.

It is also waaaaaaaayyyyy easier to put a car cover on with a short antenna.

I bought the 14" one from American Muscle for $17.99.

It's profile lines up with the roof line. Click on the full image for a better look.

GOintheGrass004.jpg

I ordered the 14 inch antenna today as well as some cobra tire valve covers. Did you order your mirror covers from them as well?

CW

I went to American Muscle's web site and saw both the 14 inch and the 8 inch antennas. Do both get the same radio reception as the stock antenna? And which one do you guys think looks better on a vert?

A longer antenna will always get better reception, but you'd probably only notice it in on weaker stations and in fringe areas of stronger stations.

Strong stations should seem essentially unchanged because of how the tuners use adaptive phase-lock-loop tuner technology to 'grab' a station, tho it would likely 'pop' in and out sooner as you move toward the fringes (which will also be closer in).

I don;t know how long the stock antenna is, but shorter ones that are exact sub-multiples will perform better than other sizes. E.g., of the stocker is 28" a 14"er will perform better than a 16"er or an 8"er, but a 7"er will likely outperform an 8"er. The differneces should be slight and only noticeable at the fringes

So, if you have a bunch of strong stations where you live, pick the antenna you like; if you're preferred station reception is not great or is marginal or highly variable, either keep the stocker or go with an exact half-length for the least loss.

Those shortys do look great!!! And suck less HP at speed! :)

A longer antenna will always get better reception, but you'd probably only notice it in on weaker stations and in fringe areas of stronger stations.

Strong stations should seem essentially unchanged because of how the tuners use adaptive phase-lock-loop tuner technology to 'grab' a station, tho it would likely 'pop' in and out sooner as you move toward the fringes (which will also be closer in).

I don;t know how long the stock antenna is, but shorter ones that are exact sub-multiples will perform better than other sizes. E.g., of the stocker is 28" a 14"er will perform better than a 16"er or an 8"er, but a 7"er will likely outperform an 8"er. The differneces should be slight and only noticeable at the fringes

So, if you have a bunch of strong stations where you live, pick the antenna you like; if you're preferred station reception is not great or is marginal or highly variable, either keep the stocker or go with an exact half-length for the least loss.

Those shortys do look great!!! And suck less HP at speed! :)

My stock antenna measures about 32". I like the looks of the 14" antennas but mathematically the 8" would have better reception - now I can't decide!! I wonder if anyone makes a 16.

16 inches available anywhere? Also on the stocker it looks to me like a wire is wrapped around a nonconducting core. I assumed it was to compact the overall physical length yet it would be seen by the radio wave as an effective longer length. Is that true? If so, the 14 inch if it is a wire wrapped around a nonconductor could stretch out to be the right length-it all depends on the pitch used in wrapping the wire. Any of you hotshot electrical engineers played with this? I think it would be as simple as measuring the length of the actual conductors and comparing them.

Archived