TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SAAC-32 and Road trip

A few thoughts/stories from my cross country trip from Utah to Michigan in my 07 GT500

1. On the open track, the car is really quicker than you think. Not knowing the course, I was running 20 seconds slower then the top cars in the vintage race group. The car doesn't feel like it is fast because it has a lot of body roll and feels quirky at times but it sticks very well on the stock tires and the brakes are awesome. The temperature was 102 F so at least one guy had problems with the engine shutting down after long times at 3-5000 rpm. My car never had a problem; maybe I wasn't driving it hard enough. Overall, for my money a few upgrades to the suspension, a cold air intake, new exhaust, and a retune on the chip would turn this car into a Vette contender on the track.

2. On the way back, driving 1800 miles with air conditioning on and two large guys in the car (me and my dad both 6'5") with luggage, we averaged 22 MPG. Oh ya, it never got below 85 mph unless we stopped for gas or food. As high as 110 mph on som straights in Wyoming and Nebraska. Gas milage was a very pleasant surprise.

3. One good story. We just crossed the Illinois state line on I-80 and I came up behind a cop in a white plain Crown Vic. I saw him and pulled up behind him before I passed him. We both exited to i-80 E when he pulled me over. He took my license and registration and told me the limit in Illinois was 65 mph everywhere and I was clearly going faster than that when he saw me behind him. Well he went back to his car and I expected a ticket of some sort. He came back and asked me to roll the window down. I did and he asked me one question: what kind of gas mileage do these things get? I told him 22 mpg. He said mmm...better than my Vette. He let me go with a warning to slow down.

Overall, this car is everything I expected and more. Go out and drive them boys and girls!!

A few thoughts/stories from my cross country trip from Utah to Michigan in my 07 GT500

1. On the open track, the car is really quicker than you think. Not knowing the course, I was running 20 seconds slower then the top cars in the vintage race group. The car doesn't feel like it is fast because it has a lot of body roll and feels quirky at times but it sticks very well on the stock tires and the brakes are awesome. The temperature was 102 F so at least one guy had problems with the engine shutting down after long times at 3-5000 rpm. My car never had a problem; maybe I wasn't driving it hard enough. Overall, for my money a few upgrades to the suspension, a cold air intake, new exhaust, and a retune on the chip would turn this car into a Vette contender on the track.

2. On the way back, driving 1800 miles with air conditioning on and two large guys in the car (me and my dad both 6'5") with luggage, we averaged 22 MPG. Oh ya, it never got below 85 mph unless we stopped for gas or food. As high as 110 mph on som straights in Wyoming and Nebraska. Gas milage was a very pleasant surprise.

3. One good story. We just crossed the Illinois state line on I-80 and I came up behind a cop in a white plain Crown Vic. I saw him and pulled up behind him before I passed him. We both exited to i-80 E when he pulled me over. He took my license and registration and told me the limit in Illinois was 65 mph everywhere and I was clearly going faster than that when he saw me behind him. Well he went back to his car and I expected a ticket of some sort. He came back and asked me to roll the window down. I did and he asked me one question: what kind of gas mileage do these things get? I told him 22 mpg. He said mmm...better than my Vette. He let me go with a warning to slow down.

Overall, this car is everything I expected and more. Go out and drive them boys and girls!!

I've run SAAC open track events and each time left me smiling for a month.

What group did you run in? (A b c...?)

68Kr07Shelby

Was Carroll at the convention? Sounds like you had a great time.

No he was not there. But many others were including Peter Brock and Bob Bondurant Chuck Cantrell and others from the old Shelby factory days. Very informative and exciting

We want to hear more :happy feet: Any pics? Is there an article on the SAAC site?

no pics on the track; the track ran away from the grandstands and out the back of the property. People had cameras and there was a company taking pictures on pit row as you entered the track but I did not purchase any. There will be an article and pics from the convention on the SAAC site sometime in the near future I am sure but I doubt there is any information on the site yet. I would encourage everyone to go the a National meet; it is always fun and the new Shelby owners are welcomed by all. Very friendly group.

Thanks for the info! I went to the SAAC site ( Click here for the SAAC ) and found the 2007 convention section but all that it had was the pre-convention registration information. I can't wait to read the report. I am thinking of going to the Miller driving school there because they use Mustangs that are setup almost identically to mine (except for the drop top :happy feet: ) and because I could then take some additional vacation and visit some of the great places I love in Utah. I would join the SAAC but I don't own a Shelby.

Thanks for the info! I went to the SAAC site ( Click here for the SAAC ) and found the 2007 convention section but all that it had was the pre-convention registration information. I can't wait to read the report. I am thinking of going to the Miller driving school there because they use Mustangs that are setup almost identically to mine (except for the drop top :happy feet: ) and because I could then take some additional vacation and visit some of the great places I love in Utah. I would join the SAAC but I don't own a Shelby.

you don't need to own a shelby to join SAAC; never had to never will. The only requirement is enthusiasm. There were many Mustangs at the open track that were not Shelby's. The driving school looks good; I trailed a couple of the race school cars on the track and they are set up well. You should have a blast.

I ran C group both Saturday and Sunday

I ran group c on Saturday...CS was in Texas and as I understand it,was just unable to get to Tooele,that was from Gary Patterson. Have some good pics and a fair video of the group C on track.The heat was just about more than we and my cobra could stand. Saturday eve. dinner was great and guest speakers were fun to listen to. This was my 2nd saac meet,1st for me was in Portland,Or. in 1992. Had a good time.

Mike

No he was not there. But many others were including Peter Brock and Bob Bondurant Chuck Cantrell and others from the old Shelby factory days. Very informative and exciting

Sounds like you had agreat time. I met Peter Brock at the S.A.A.C 29 got his signature on a T- shirt that S.A.A.C had printed for him. You can`t beat the conventions as you meet so many great people.

Sounds like you had agreat time. I met Peter Brock at the S.A.A.C 29 got his signature on a T- shirt that S.A.A.C had printed for him. You can`t beat the conventions as you meet so many great people.

Yes I think everyone had a good time. It has very hot but the Miller Park facility is absolutely first class with plenty of shade and very helpful staff.

Glad to see the '07 GT500's represented at the National meet! We will try to make one in the future, but with the Mid-America meet so close to us it is really convenient. But I am lobbying for a "family vacation" to Utah to see the canyons.....oh yeah, and Miller Motorsports Park! :hysterical2:

Your observation on the handling of the car on track is exactly what I felt back in March on my first trip to a road course. Which is why I modified the suspension so radically. Now my car runs "mid-pack" numbers with late-model fully race prepped cars! No body roll, no indecisive feel in entering corners. Just point and shoot!

Your ride home sounded fun too! Just exactly how DO you drive 65 mph in one of these things? :hysterical::hysterical:

My wife and I also attended this event. It was my first and definitely will not be my last. We took some really good photos and video, but the photos will need to be resized to meet the upload limit of 500k. While we were there we had an opportunity to visit with a young engineer from Ford Racing Products. He had just come off the track in their 07GT500. He and the car were performing very well. He was excited about their testing, and he talked to us a good twenty minutes about the mods. He said Hoosier tires, 3:73 gears, lowering springs, adjustable dampers, chip, tune, and the whipple.

My wife and I also attended this event. It was my first and definitely will not be my last. We took some really good photos and video, but the photos will need to be resized to meet the upload limit of 500k. While we were there we had an opportunity to visit with a young engineer from Ford Racing Products. He had just come off the track in their 07GT500. He and the car were performing very well. He was excited about their testing, and he talked to us a good twenty minutes about the mods. He said Hoosier tires, 3:73 gears, lowering springs, adjustable dampers, chip, tune, and the whipple.

sorry for the ignorance but what is the whipple?

Glad to see the '07 GT500's represented at the National meet! We will try to make one in the future, but with the Mid-America meet so close to us it is really convenient. But I am lobbying for a "family vacation" to Utah to see the canyons.....oh yeah, and Miller Motorsports Park! :hysterical2:

Your observation on the handling of the car on track is exactly what I felt back in March on my first trip to a road course. Which is why I modified the suspension so radically. Now my car runs "mid-pack" numbers with late-model fully race prepped cars! No body roll, no indecisive feel in entering corners. Just point and shoot!

Your ride home sounded fun too! Just exactly how DO you drive 65 mph in one of these things? :hysterical::hysterical:

no way no how! 100 feels like 65 in most cars

Archived