TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Lug Nut Socket

I removed my wheels to decontaminate and coat with Gtechniq C5 Wheel Armor.  I was frustrated on how little room there is for a socket on the 2013/2014 Shelby wheels.  I tried various different 13/16ths sockets.  They all rubbed on at least a few lug nuts per wheel.  I had to constantly add new electrical tape to the socket for protection to keep from marking up the wheels.  Has anyone else had this issue and if so what did you do to resolve?  

Edited by jturnbow

Look up thin wall lug nut sockets. Auto zone sells them, or plenty on ebay.some have protective coatings to help protect wheels.

Edited by mhr1961

11 hours ago, mhr1961 said:

Look up thin wall lug nut sockets. Auto zone sells them, or plenty on ebay.some have protective coatings to help protect wheels.

11 hours ago, 66GT350PS said:

I have found mine at Orielly auto parts.  I keep one in the car and another at home.  

exactly

4 hours ago, SAI-Steven said:

Correct, perform an internet search for thin wall lug sockets.

Instead of electrical tape I use heat shrink wrap tubing for extra protection. Much cleaner and lasts forever compared to electrical tape.

Steve

great idea my electric tape wears out pretty fast

Thanks for all the ideas.  I have a thin wall socket on order that supposedly measures 1.07" diameter.  My current 13/16th socket is 1.10".  I'm hoping that's enough of a difference to allow me to use heat shrink vs electrical tape.  Fingers crossed.

When I had my new American Racing wheels installed standard acorn lugs or locks would not work. Discount Tire threw in a set of 'spline' style wheel locks which are much more narrow than a standard lug/lock. And they look great....

Similar to these:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/20-Pc-SET-For-Ford-Explorer-Mustang-2-Keys-6-Splines-Drive-Close-End-Lug-Nuts/332816093504?hash=item4d7d629140:g:2z8AAOSwHjtb93dG