TEAM SHELBY FORUM

factory exhaust is too quiet at an idle, but i dont want anything too loud that drones, your suggestions?

mach2race

Hey guys, i love my stock GT500, but the exhaust is just too tame. I dont want anything that drones or is too loud. Also, I dont have a shop or any accesss to torches or welders, so something bolt_up, would be great! I want to keep the factory looking exhaust tips and basically, keep the car looking factory. I love the car, but it needs to sound more menacing :)

I would appreciate any suggestions you guys have. Thanks,

Mach

2007-2009's best axleback's are the Ford Racing "KR" mufflers- no drone and pumps up the volume perfectly. Any other years,.Borla, Corsa and Roush mufflers you can't go wrong. I now have Roush on my 14 GT and they are great, no drone and a nice rumble.

Agreed, the Ford Performance "KR" mufflers are indeed no drone and would be one of my top choices as well. They were also the "OEM" muffler for the 2008-2009 Shelby GT500KR edition. What I don't like about them however is, they hang really low from the rear valance and the tips are only 3.5" that don't quite fill up the bumper cutouts. If cosmetics aren't a factor? then I would most definitely recommend them. If they are a factor, then Corsa is also a high-quality muffler that's engineered and guaranteed not to produce drone with its patented RSC drone canceling technology. What I also like about the Corsa, is they're constructed from 304 grade SS and are backed by a full lifetime warranty. Although they are very expensive at $800.00+ so just keep that in mind. You could also look into the Roush Extreme Catback system which is a mid-muffler design that includes high-flow resonators in the over the axle pipes along with axle-back delete pipes that include 4" 304 SS tips. The Roush system is also designed and engineered to produce virtually no interior resonance drone. That being said, the Roush Extreme Catback and Borla ATAK axle-back are my top 2 choices for my "2006" supercharged Mustang GT. followed by the Ford Performance FR500S "KR" mufflers.

Yup the KR mufflers are pretty darn good but cheap they are not. As others have mentioned there are other alternatives but its best to hear them in person to be sure they meet your expectations. Hopefully you have a  Mustang/Shelby car club or cars & coffee close by so that you can hear what other mufflers sound like in person. Also ask these owners if they have experienced any drone from their set-up.

Steven

• 4 months later...

Just installed the Corsa 14311 axle back sport, nothing but a quality muffler , also ordered the extra brackets and install took 50 minutes on a lift . I could not be happier with the sound ......Corsa rocks,   The sport is not too loud , not too quiet just perfectly balanced in the middle , great rumble on idle and start up , no drone at all , but sounds perfect going through the gears!