TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Borla XR-1 (140210) multi-core catback exhaust.

Supercharged "2006" GT

Hi, everyone. Although I've been on several Mustang forums for quite a few years, this will be my first on the team Shelby Forums. Anyway, my question is this.  Would anyone have any knowledge of the Borla (140210) aka XR-1 multi-core Catback exhaust? My reason for asking is several tech support reps from Borla I have spoken with over the phone have all recommended this multi-core exhaust in which they claim will not produce any resonance drone on a 2007-09 Shelby GT500. They also claim that despite the fact that I own a 2006 Mustang GT with a Saleen Series VI supercharger, the Borla (140210) multi-core exhaust system will also be compatible with a 4.6L supercharged 3 valve application. At any rate, I've been running the Borla S-Type paired with the Mac ProChamber for nearly 2 years now and although I really like the overall sound from the outside of the car, however, I cannot deal with the annoying interior resonance drone between 1500-2500 RPM on the highway. Therefore I have no other choice but to make a change. I also asked the folks over at Borla about making the switch from the S-Type to the Borla ATAK and they said the ATAK mufflers are tuned and designed specifically for only naturally aspirated 4.6L 3v Mustangs and would therefore not be recommended for my supercharged application, as the blower would change the sound of the exhaust note and also increase the volume as a direct result. Anyhow, I received the Borla multi-core system a few days ago, but I'm not quite certain as to whether or not I should install it or just return it back? As the last thing I need to be worried about is ending up with another exhaust system that I'm not going to be very happy with. Needless to say, my only other choice would be either the Roush Extreme Catback exhaust with axle-back delete pipes or possibly the Ford Performance FR500S axle-backs aka KR's. However, I would prefer either the Borla ATAK or the Borla (140210) multi-core cat-back exhaust, providing they would be compatible with my particular application that doesn't produce drone. In the meantime, I'd be really grateful to anyone who might be able to provide any type of feedback and support. Thanks in advance,

-Rocky

Asking questions about sound and/or drone is a bit like asking about color. Everybody is going to perceive sound quality and drone a bit differently. It’s good you are looking in different forums and TS has quite a few different subjects on exhaust. You may want to also try going to the Shelby GT Sub Forum within TS and try using the search tool and use “exhaust” or “exhaust drone”, “Shelby GT aftermarket exhaust” or “borla” or similar terms. The search tool is in the top right corner . A supercharged Saleen 4.6 is going to be pretty similar to a supercharged Shelby GT 4.6, there are some guys in there that own or owned supercharged Shelby GT’s and there are quite a few topics that will come up. Some people will hopefully chime in here as well to your inquiry. Your best bet may be to build a small “consensus" on the responses and your search and go from there.You can trust a few peoples opinion or you can trust Borla who actually designs and tests exhaust systems everyday.  I worked a little over 2 years in the engineering department of a major automotive exhaust manufacturer and I will say that Borla is a very knowledgeable and reputable exhaust company with years and years of experience and I don’t think they would BS you or steer you in the wrong direction. Best of Luck.

First off, I'm fully well aware that everyone is going to perceive sound/drone differently. However, that was not my question. Also FYI: I did use the search tool functions before signing up on this site and nothing came up.  And second, The Borla exhaust in which I'm inquiring about was designed for the 2007-2009 Shelby GT500 which was my reason for submitting in the GT500 tech and exhaust sub-forums in the first place. As for trusting Borla is concerned? I did trust them when they recommended purchasing the S-Type axle back section nearly 2 years ago over the Borla ATAK which was my original choice. Therefore I need to find out from anybody on this site if they've had any personal experience or knowledge about the Borla 140210 multi-core exhaust system as to whether or not they experienced any type of resonance drone and nothing more. In the meantime, I can certainly try submitting my questions and concerns over on the Shelby GT subforums, but I highly doubt that anyone over there is going to have any knowledge towards that particular exhaust system in question.