TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2016 GTH Puddle Lamp Advice / Warning

SAI-Steven

Some of the 2016 GTH cars have suffered puddle lamp failure with the projected image being an out of focus grainy blob of a mess. While we haven't found a 100% for certain reason for why this is happening ,and only happening to certain cars, we are leaning towards the lamps are getting hot from the door being kept open which might be causing the plastic projection film to melt and/or distort.

Although you might say you never leave your door open for long how do you know the door wasn't left open say when the car was being cleaned/detailed/repaired before your ownership of the car. Perhaps even after you purchased the car, if you've taken the car anywhere for service there is a possibility the door was left open then.

One of the reasons we are leaning towards this diagnostic is that so far no unrented GTH cars have suffered from this problem, only cars that were used in the rental fleet are showing symptoms of this.

Steve

The synopisis you posted is probably accurate. Several Aftermarket puddle light manufacturers had issues with over heating, water penetration issues or galvanic corrosion issues on connectors. A number of these manufacturers even had warnings about leaving the doors or hatches/tailgates open for extended periods of time to avoid the overheating and recommended a cut off switch in the circuit, disconnecting the light,or pulling the fuse to it. Of course it was in the “fine print”. And most warranties were for 1 year or less. Here is an example from one after market website.

To extend the life of the LED Puddle Lights, avoid leaving the doors open for an extended period of time (5 minutes or longer).
The lenses will fade over time or even burn out if the doors are left open for extended periods of time, such as; cleaning the interior and/or when the car is being serviced. (We recommend disconnecting the puddle lights prior to servicing/detailing or letting the service provider know about not leaving the doors open.)

Edited by mhr1961

My car's GT-H puddle lamps were fine when I bought my car 11/2017. I live in the PNW, which is rainy. I had to leave my car out in the elements that winter, so it was exposed to the rain and cold temptures. It was not until the following spring that I noticed my puddle lamps went gothic. I attributed it to the cold wet winter, but who knows. Heat in the PNW was not an issue.

The door open at the dealership is possible when I had the PP1 installed. That would explain the drivers side, but not the passenger. Both look the same. Brent

Edited by blz57

• 6 months later...

I ordered them today. I sent a picture from my phone of the distorted image. Glad to get this taken care of. It is such a nice feature when they work right - like mine used to! Brent

Edited by blz57