TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Need window stickers for SCCA classing

Mike S

I am going to write a letter and try to get the SCCA to class the Shelby GT/SC in ESP. The GT500 is in the class, so I'm hoping they will allow the GT/SC. Currently the Shelby GT is in ESP, but the SC is not specifically mentioned as being in the class.

What I need are some window stickers and documentation showing the SC was ordered and delivered through the dealership.  Some Ford promo literature showing real Horsepower numbers would not hurt either. If anyone is willing to part with copies of the above, please contact me.

My Shelby GT bio: I was the car owner and was on the team (co-driver/tire warmer) that won three SCCA National Championships with car #450 in the 2000's. I sold the car and after a few years missed it. I bought another one and have been modding it for ESP.  It needs more HP, as the class HP level's have been steady going up.

The Shelby GT/SC is a post-title Shelby American modification so you will not find any Ford info.  It was not a Ford product, turning a Shelby GT into a GT/SC was a private business transaction between the owner and Shelby American.  Does the SCCA class only allow factory cars?

Edited by twobjshelbys

In Stock and Street Prepared it must be a factory car.  The Shelby GT is already listed in Stock class, with only the "T82 & 54U  factory option package" allowed (no blower). The SCCA is calling the T82  and 54U factory options- so maybe if the blower is listed on the sticker; it will be accepted as a factory option. The SC will likely never be allowed to run in Stock class, but I'm hoping I can get it accepted into Street Prepared (ESP).  I wont be a class killer. The are cars with lots more HP. If the Shelby can get classed, it might open up standard 4.6 liter S197 cars to do the conversion and be relevant again in the class. The are lots of these cars out there with years of development into them.  For those racers it makes sense to add the blower.

The GT/SC upgrade package was not a factory option so it will not appear on any Monroney labels (aka window sticker). I don't believe SCCA would ever consider the SC a factory option, unless someone tricks them into believing that and trust me there would be lots of people who would then set SCCA straight.

Steve

IIRC from my original factory Shelby GT window sticker, the T82 and 54U were listed on it. I was hoping the SC package was also listed.  If it is not, then you are correct Steven- it will not fly. I am not trying to "trick" the SCCA. I will play by the rules and be forthcoming. My thought was that if the Shelby GT is listed, then maybe (long shot) I can get the GT/SC listed.  No harm in trying- right?  That why I'm here, this is where the knowledge base is.

FWIW- I do remember ordering my 07 GT through a Ford dealership, and picking it up at the dealer.  I do know Ford sent the car to Shelby for fitment of the package. Then the car was sent to my dealer.  I did not choose museum delivery. At no time did I communicate what options I wanted directly with SAI. Keep in mind my car was not a SC, so maybe it was different with them??

Edited by Mike S

As Steven and I stated, the supercharger for the Shelby GT is not on any "window sticker" since it was not part of any Ford factory configuration.   As a 12 year old car now the Shelby GT is getting a little long on the tooth to be considered a competitor in a street class competition.  The technology has far lapped the standard offering of that day.   It was quite a competitor back then but technology has moved forward. 

You are correct in the build steps.  Cars were delivered "unfinished" by Ford (equipped with the "upfitter's package"), where they were equipped with the remaining portions that finalized the Shelby GT package, notably the CAI, suspension package, and in 07 the rear end (in 08, the rear end was added at the factory). Once the additions were completed the cars were then delivered to the dealers  (note in some cases that didn't necessarily mean physically present - mine were shipped directly from SAI to my house without dealer prep.)  No supercharger was ever included in this step, which are referred to as "pre-title" changes.  The supercharger was a post-title modification after the car was sold to the buyer.

Edited by twobjshelbys

Cars were delivered "unfinished" by Ford (equipped with the "upfitter's package"), where they were equipped with the remaining portions that finalized the Shelby GT package, notably the CAI, suspension package, and in 07 the rear end

I thought  in '07 the 3:55 rear end was added at the Ford Factory as it is listed on the factory window sticker?

7 hours ago, Mike S said:

I am going to write a letter and try to get the SCCA to class the Shelby GT/SC in ESP. The GT500 is in the class, so I'm hoping they will allow the GT/SC. Currently the Shelby GT is in ESP, but the SC is not specifically mentioned as being in the class.

What I need are some window stickers and documentation showing the SC was ordered and delivered through the dealership.  Some Ford promo literature showing real Horsepower numbers would not hurt either. If anyone is willing to part with copies of the above, please contact me.

My Shelby GT bio: I was the car owner and was on the team (co-driver/tire warmer) that won three SCCA National Championships with car #450 in the 2000's. I sold the car and after a few years missed it. I bought another one and have been modding it for ESP.  It needs more HP, as the class HP level's have been steady going up.

I have an original Shelby (SAI) GT/SC Paxton brochure that is 100% stock original to the brand, extremely beautiful piece of factory literature.  It states 462/.419 HP TQ respectively. What is your email address ill send a picture of it to you if it'll help.

These SC's were for the most part done at Shelby as a drive through rather than brought back to Shelby a short time later. So even though they were post titled per SAI they were as close to factory installed as one could get.

But as Steve said, they were a SAI installed product not a Ford installed product. 

Edited by SWEDEMAN
information

Twobjshelby: I totally agree the car is not a class leader.  I find it an easier car to drive at the limit than the newer cars. I'm just trying to find ways to have fun with my car, not win a National title. The mods don't necessarily have to be installed by Ford, just delivered by Ford and available to all. A good example of this is "Port" installed options on cars shipped from overseas. If you ordered and took delivery from the dealer with those options already installed, and it was available to the general public that way, then it is OK.  If I am getting the modification timeline correct- The T82/54U were added by SAI "before" delivery to the customer thru the Dealer.  The supercharger was added "after" the customer received their car from the dealer.  That scenario will definitely kill any chance of the GT/SC getting into the Street Prepared category.

Sadly- the rules do allow me put a 5.0 in the car, which would give me even more HP- but what PITA to do the swap. And I don't want to go that far with a Shelby.

On 1/17/2019 at 7:50 AM, Mike S said:

Twobjshelby: I totally agree the car is not a class leader.  I find it an easier car to drive at the limit than the newer cars. I'm just trying to find ways to have fun with my car, not win a National title. The mods don't necessarily have to be installed by Ford, just delivered by Ford and available to all. A good example of this is "Port" installed options on cars shipped from overseas. If you ordered and took delivery from the dealer with those options already installed, and it was available to the general public that way, then it is OK.  If I am getting the modification timeline correct- The T82/54U were added by SAI "before" delivery to the customer thru the Dealer.  The supercharger was added "after" the customer received their car from the dealer.  That scenario will definitely kill any chance of the GT/SC getting into the Street Prepared category.

Sadly- the rules do allow me put a 5.0 in the car, which would give me even more HP- but what PITA to do the swap. And I don't want to go that far with a Shelby.

Hi Mike....Sorry that brochure didn't look right. They put water marks etc on them so they protect their product. Extremely cool information though and nice to have for us Paxton owners.

So you've got that almost 100%. I say almost because in some cases, in the early cars like mine and others, the cars were sent to Shelby and never left there until the SC was done. The car was driven out side"per say" and turned around and driven right back in for the SC upgrade. That was enough to call it 'post title".