TEAM SHELBY FORUM

The New Shelby GT 500...........

David Hawkins

On 3/14/2019 at 11:02 PM, darwoodious said:

Agreed.  The future in not just all electric but AI controlled etc.  I get it, it makes sense for 99% of all the drivers in the world.

Seems to me that if you bought a Shelby, any Shelby, you are after something else.  You like the loud noise, the firm suspension, seats and tight/firm ride.  You paid your $1500 gas guzzler tax, not because it makes ANY financial sense, but because driving makes you feel alive.

I don't think that having an auto makes this any LESS than having a manual, but having BOTH makes a whole lot of sense to me.  These cars, the GT350 and the GT500, are amazing and for a very select audience.  It does make a lot of sense to offer a 6 speed manual on the GT500 for those who want it (as long as it pencils out from a profitability standpoint - even if that is just near break even) so I certainly hope Ford does it in the future.

I can't even realistically use the power in my 2018 GT350, so not really looking for a more powerful option, but if I did... I think a manual would make the experience a good 25% better.

My 2cents.  Cool forum, I like it.  

No gas guzzler tax on my 11 when I ordered it, same with the 14, that started back up with the 2015 MY offerings..

2014-GT500-Ford-advertising-001.jpg

Well, I don’t know about the rest of you members, but I want to voice (My Opinion) on the New Shelby GT500 getting a third pedal not to far down the road!!    “FORD” says it listens to the Mustang , (FORD Faithful), and wants to know how we feel, so if your with me, lets tell them now we would really “Appreciate”  the feel and power of that “Awesome” new Shelby GT500 with a “STICK SHIFT” to play with!!!!    :thumbsup:                 P.S.   “FORD” you got your (EARS ON)!!!:salute:                   “MONGOOSE”       :peelout:

13 minutes ago, Mongoose said:

Well, I don’t know about the rest of you members, but I want to voice (My Opinion) on the New Shelby GT500 getting a third pedal not to far down the road!!    “FORD” says it listens to the Mustang , (FORD Faithful), and wants to know how we feel, so if your with me, lets tell them now we would really “Appreciate”  the feel and power of that “Awesome” new Shelby GT500 with a “STICK SHIFT” to play with!!!!    :thumbsup:                 P.S.   “FORD” you got your (EARS ON)!!!:salute:                   “MONGOOSE”       :peelout:

They had a prototype at the Bash . it may be in the works to make it an option, it does have a paddle shifter. I t go through the gears a lot faster than you can shift. Order banks won`t be open until the fall.

Thanks for the reply: shelby001!!    I was lucky enough to see the cool video of the prototype at the bash!    I’m  “OLD SCHOOL” when it comes to the two different Trannys :(Auto + Paddle, verses Manual- STICK) that are usually offered in todays vehicles!    Today, some of the buyers, all they have on their mind is fastest speed and the fastest shifter to get there, but, some of us still really “Appreciate” the old (Seat of the Pants ) feel that only the (Manual), J.M.O.  can do this for you and it also makes you more connected (Fun Factor) to the car and what your able to do with it with that “Awesome” stick in your hands!!!    The feeling of controlling that “Monster” under-neath you is very hard to duplicate, and it really gets the “Adrenaline” flowing, and it really doesn’t get better than that!!     :thumbsup:              Again, J.M.O.          

P.S.   Hey “FORD”,     Two trannys offered are a lot better then one, and you’ll get alot more buyers of your cool Shelby GT500!!    Hope your “LISTENING”!!   :thumbsup:

Later!               “MONGOOSE”            :peelout:

While your talking to Ford, try and convince them to put a gear shift back instead of that stupid knob. As long as they're going to add a manual option they might as well just put the shifter back as well. Unless....they're going to add a manual option with a knob shifter :gaah:

3 hours ago, SoCalSGT said:

While your talking to Ford, try and convince them to put a gear shift back instead of that stupid knob. As long as they're going to add a manual option they might as well just put the shifter back as well. Unless....they're going to add a manual option with a knob shifter :gaah:

Hey SoCal, I’m totally with ya on that stupid knob thing!     Something like that doesn’t belong in a “Performance Car”!!  J.M.O.      “FORD” you got your (EARS & EYES OPEN)!!   :thumbsup:

Later SoCal!                 “GOOSE”         :peelout:

On 3/20/2019 at 6:44 PM, Mongoose said:

I agree with you 100%.  Who gives a shit if the paddles are quicker.  

QSS

3 minutes ago, Secondo said:

Understandable but I'm not sure if a mass produced manual trans is currently available that is strong enough to handle that much power. 

What about the trans that was in the Shelby 1000?  That's 25% more HP than this is supposed to have.

20 minutes ago, DrHawkeye said:

What about the trans that was in the Shelby 1000?  That's 25% more HP than this is supposed to have.

Good point- The 2011-2014 Shelby 1000 uses the factory Tremec TR6060 manual transmission but its rated for 650ft-lbs of torque. Maybe it wasn't enough for the new car. The new DCT is also from Tremec and designed specifically for the new GT500 so maybe Ford and Tremec chose to just focus on that. 

1 hour ago, DrHawkeye said:

yes, but it also stated in the old Shelby literature that upgrading to a Shelby 1000 may void your factory power train warranty.

1 hour ago, Secondo said:

Good point- The 2011-2014 Shelby 1000 uses the factory Tremec TR6060 manual transmission but its rated for 650ft-lbs of torque. Maybe it wasn't enough for the new car. The new DCT is also from Tremec and designed specifically for the new GT500 so maybe Ford and Tremec chose to just focus on that. 

Correct, it is a purpose built car. Purpose built for the drag strip crowd,  and the track package was purpose built for track. That translates to a goal of low drag times and and low lap times which translates to DCT. People need to understand what purpose built means. In 2012 only about 7% of cars came with manual sticks, that number fell to just 2% as of 2016 and is continuing to decline. It would be stupid of Ford to focus on a 2% and declining market just so old schoolers ,who are rapidly ageing out of the performance car market,  can to play row row row your boat. 

On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 3:20 AM, Mongoose said:

Thanks for the reply: shelby001!!    I was lucky enough to see the cool video of the prototype at the bash!    I’m  “OLD SCHOOL” when it comes to the two different Trannys :(Auto + Paddle, verses Manual- STICK) that are usually offered in todays vehicles!    Today, some of the buyers, all they have on their mind is fastest speed and the fastest shifter to get there, but, some of us still really “Appreciate” the old (Seat of the Pants ) feel that only the (Manual), J.M.O.  can do this for you and it also makes you more connected (Fun Factor) to the car and what your able to do with it with that “Awesome” stick in your hands!!!    The feeling of controlling that “Monster” under-neath you is very hard to duplicate, and it really gets the “Adrenaline” flowing, and it really doesn’t get better than that!!     :thumbsup:              Again, J.M.O.          

P.S.   Hey “FORD”,     Two trannys offered are a lot better then one, and you’ll get alot more buyers of your cool Shelby GT500!!    Hope your “LISTENING”!!   :thumbsup:

Later!               “MONGOOSE”            :peelout:

Couldn't agree more bring on the manual....not having a manual would be a deal breaker for me whether to get one or not.

I don't think Ford would have a hard time beefing up that Tremec TR 6060 to handle the extra hp of the 2020 GT500....hell some of those 13-14 GT500's

are out on the streets pushing the 1000 hp mark with the factory tranny.

39 minutes ago, svtkeith said:

I don't think Ford would have a hard time beefing up that Tremec TR 6060 to handle the extra hp of the 2020 GT500....hell some of those 13-14 GT500's

are out on the streets pushing the 1000 hp mark with the factory tranny.

They may be, but Ford has to provide a warranty. Tremec rates it at 650ft-lbs.

correct again, some people need to realize just because you can doesn't mean you should.

What my point was that Ford wouldn't have a problem "BEEFING UP" the T-6060 to handle the extra "HP WITH WARANTY"!!….if the factory one

is handling 1000 HP now with no known issues I'm sure Ford could make the new Tremic even stronger.

2 hours ago, Secondo said:

There is a difference between 1000 hp for bragging rights and the "1000 mile car, 1/4 mile at a time".  Instantaneous vs. steady state.  Most parts are designed to have a stress that is 50% or even 100% over the spec.  I suspect that most Shelby 1000 cars fit into the bragging rights category.  If someone is serious about a 1000 hp drag car they're going to get  a transmission that will match.

12 minutes ago, svtkeith said:

What my point was that Ford wouldn't have a problem "BEEFING UP" the T-6060 to handle the extra "HP WITH WARANTY"!!….if the factory one

is handling 1000 HP now with no known issues I'm sure Ford could make the new Tremic even stronger.

I'm not sure if a manual transmission can be "beefed up" by any conventional means. The input/output shafts would have to be replaced with larger ones along with the supporting parts and also even the case would have to be redesigned to handle more torque without failing.

2 hours ago, Secondo said:

I'm not sure if a manual transmission can be "beefed up" by any conventional means. The input/output shafts would have to be replaced with larger ones along with the supporting parts and also even the case would have to be redesigned to handle more torque without failing.

I'm sure you're right but I'd bet my bottom dollar if the demand is there for a manual I'm sure Ford could pull it off it's only mechanical....if it's not there then

I'm sure they won't waste the time.

4 hours ago, svtkeith said:

I'm sure you're right but I'd bet my bottom dollar if the demand is there for a manual I'm sure Ford could pull it off it's only mechanical....if it's not there then

I'm sure they won't waste the time.

I agree- if Ford deems there would be enough demand - Ford and Tremec would have to design and build a completely new manual transmission to handle the power- for one car- for which they already produced a new trans (the new 7-speed DCT) for. 

IMO I think it would be worth it for Tremec to soon release (if not in the works by now) a new, higher torque rated mass-producible manual transmission due to the increasing power output of the current crop of musclecars. Notice how most of them are automatics now. Only the GT350 is available only in a manual (maybe because it's not boosted?).

Edited by Secondo
Spelling

You know what's great about this?  No stupid gear selector dial in the middle of the console..... 

2016 Dodge Viper GTC Arrow 9.0L Tomball TX

This one might be in my garage soon along with the 500 and Cobra.  :shift:

5 minutes ago, ViperNC said:

You know what's great about this?  No stupid gear selector dial in the middle of the console..... 

Awesome Viper Blake...love the colour also and yes no stupid selector just a beautiful manual gear shift.

Agree! And having been in my friends new Expedition a few times now with the shift dial/knob/selector or whatever the thing is, I can say it's a deal breaker for me and the new 500. It just doesn't work, at least for me. It's like being in a Tux with no shoes....just sayin'.....

I just rented a Ford Edge that had the gear selector knob, once I got used to it I did not mind it at all.  The GT500 has paddle shifters, you only have to turn the knob a few times every time you drive, I do not see what the big deal is.  What makes the current automatic gear controller better?  They serve the same purpose, they both put the car in drive, reverse, neutral, and park.  One turns and the other goes forward and backward.

As far as the Manual is concerned I used to be like many of you, when I had my manual 911-S they invited me to the Porsche Driving Event, after driving the PDK on the track my thought process changed immediately, that thing was absolutely amazing.  If the DCT in the Mustang is even close some of you may change your thoughts on this subject too.  DCT is the best of both worlds, it is a MUCH better Automatic and you can drive it like a manual as well.

I love the changes Ford is making, they are finally catching up to the German Car companies!!!

12 hours ago, ViperNC said:

Hey Viper, I say go for it!!!     You only live once and you can’t take it with you, so go and “ENJOY” the fruits of your labor!!      :thumbsup:                 Later Blake!     “MONGOOSE”  :peelout:

1 hour ago, carnut12 said:

I just rented a Ford Edge that had the gear selector knob, once I got used to it I did not mind it at all.  The GT500 has paddle shifters, you only have to turn the knob a few times every time you drive, I do not see what the big deal is.  What makes the current automatic gear controller better?  They serve the same purpose, they both put the car in drive, reverse, neutral, and park.  One turns and the other goes forward and backward.

As far as the Manual is concerned I used to be like many of you, when I had my manual 911-S they invited me to the Porsche Driving Event, after driving the PDK on the track my thought process changed immediately, that thing was absolutely amazing.  If the DCT in the Mustang is even close some of you may change your thoughts on this subject too.  DCT is the best of both worlds, it is a MUCH better Automatic and you can drive it like a manual as well.

I love the changes Ford is making, they are finally catching up to the German Car companies!!!

Hey carnut12,  every body has different opinions on the trannys and shifters and that’s cool!   I just fairly recently bought a new 2018 Edge w/paddle shifters and a nice stand -up handle for the shifter!!     It’s a very nice and fairly quick SUV. My wife and I like it alot, but we don’t use the paddle shifters and we don’t care for the “Rotary Dial” on the new Edges!!     J.M.O.       Also, as far as I’m concerned that (Sissy Looking) “Rotary Dial” doesn’t belong in a Cool performance car like the cool “Mustang”!!!   The Shelby Mustang should have a shifter a (MAN OR WOMEN) can wrap their hand around and feel confident that it will get the job at hand done!!   Again, J.M.O.      :peelout:

You're not going to really benefit from an automatic DCT with paddleshifters in a passenger/SUV vehicle designed for getting you from point A to B in an everyday non-race environment, so it makes no sense to compare it to a performance car's DCT. The whole purpose of the new GT500's transmission is track and drag racing that requires very quick shifting. Moving a lever shifter takes time and driver attention away from piloting the car. You naysayers are completely missing the point. Oh well. Jim Owens said if you want to shift gears manually, the GT350 is still available for you. But you'll always lose to the GT500. :hysterical:

And again, the car was designed to be very fast on a track. Which is really cool. If you want your shifter for cruising to cars and coffee car show, buy another car that better fits your style and stop whining on here.