TEAM SHELBY FORUM

The New Shelby GT 500...........

David Hawkins

8 hours ago, 66GT350PS said:

Still trying to confirm authenticity.  Said to be from a Ford employee, but considering secrecy clauses, not sure about it.  It seems to be circulating without verification with performance stats and prices. Not wanting to continue a possible fake news report, I will wait before posting more .  

:thumbsup:

3 hours ago, NZ Shelby KR said:

This info is probably BS (great if true) but only time will tell............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYx_xJMwUHA

I agree only time will tell...….One thing on that vid that don't make sense is the HP to TQ #.....If indeed the GT500 was going to have 802hp

the TQ would be much more than 662 it would be more in the mid 700's or close to that....Red Eye 797hp and well over 700 TQ....ZR1 755hp

and well over 700TQ...…………….An 802hp GT500 would be sweet though.

1 hour ago, NZ Shelby KR said:

Very odd that 662 was number of the 13-14 GT500 HP.

You may be right on here on the HP to TQ, does not add up.

It is odd....another thing also the 13-14 GT00 had 630 TQ so there's no way Ford would settle for only 30 TQ over the 13-14 GT500...I'm thinking

the HP will be in the high 700's with TQ #'s low to mid 700's.....JMO!!

On Saturday, March 02, 2019 at 6:58 AM, svtkeith said:

I agree only time will tell...….One thing on that vid that don't make sense is the HP to TQ #.....If indeed the GT500 was going to have 802hp

the TQ would be much more than 662 it would be more in the mid 700's or close to that....Red Eye 797hp and well over 700 TQ....ZR1 755hp

and well over 700TQ...…………….An 802hp GT500 would be sweet though.

On Saturday, March 02, 2019 at 12:51 PM, NZ Shelby KR said:

Very odd that 662 was number of the 13-14 GT500 HP.

You may be right on here on the HP to TQ, does not add up.

I make no claim as to the validity of the recent video posted about hp being 802. Only an official release from Ford is believable at this point in time. Yes the 2013/14 GT500 had a peak torque almost as high as its stock hp 662hp at 631 ft-lbs of torque, but that was an entirely different engine.  Just because there wasn’t much gap in peak hp and torque on the old GT500, doesn’t mean a new 800 hp  5.2 is going to have anywhere near such a curve as the older GT500. There are already plenty of people who have taken a 5.2 block and done a cross plane crank and those engines are putting out about 630 hp and only about 509 ft lbs of peak  torque at 9 psi boost at 5500 rpm and torque falls off a bit from there,  as rpm goes up the hp continues to climb to peak of 630hp  at 7000 rpm and then starts to flatten out. SO, if you do some simple extrapolation from there it is easily conceivable that and 800 hp 5.2 CPC engine would only have the 662 ft lbs of torque as mentioned in the video. The 2013/2014 GT500 had 5.8L and the Redeye has 6.2 liters. Those cars make big numbers with big engines. Ford is making big numbers with smaller engines and the hp vs torque curves are not going to be the same.

It won’t be long before Ford releases actual numbers, so in the meantime people shouldn’t  be concerned as to what some small time you tuber with a go pro in his car posts. He looks like he is barely out of high school and only has a few thousand followers on you tube and only about 1500 followers on Instagram, so I seriously doubt he has any inside info as to what the new GT500 engine is going to produce.

Edited by mhr1961

Seeing the numbers that SA gets out of the 5.0 Coyote, these higher numbers are plausible with the more advanced engineering on the new 5.2 version plus the supercharger size.  But since there is a delay in the release of the GT500 and probably more testing needed to avoid problems, I will content to sit and wait for the official numbers.  Must stuff like these videos and reports happen with every one of an about to be released special performance model car, be it a Dodge, Corvette or Ford.  :cool:

From what I know, the 10 speed was not considered reliable. Technically, the DTC is not an automatic, Technically. There will be no stick viariety available. And the color mentioned in the beginning of the thread is Legend Lime not Grabber. I believe the 71 is the Mustang is the only true lime car from Ford but I could definitely be wrong on that. The New DTC is the way to go. I have a 19 GT350R on the way and I wish I could get the DTC

27 minutes ago, svttim said:

From what I know, the 10 speed was not considered reliable. Technically, the DTC is not an automatic, Technically. There will be no stick viariety available. And the color mentioned in the beginning of the thread is Legend Lime not Grabber. I believe the 71 is the Mustang is the only true lime car from Ford but I could definitely be wrong on that. The New DTC is the way to go. I have a 19 GT350R on the way and I wish I could get the DTC

Congrats on the new GT350R Tim.

3 hours ago, svtkeith said:

Congrats on the new GT350R Tim.

I'LL second that congrats, TIM!!    :thumbsup:                     Later!   "GOOSE"        :peelout:

1 hour ago, tesgt350 said:

Now that doesn't make sense for Ford to do as Camaro and Challenger have no governor at all....wouldn't matter to me as I wouldn't track the car

but how many of these cars will be on the Texas mile and other top speed events.

26 minutes ago, Secondo said:

Easily fixed with a performance tune.

Yes but that would void the warranty....I can see probably quite a few people not happy with this...after all you could buy a 13-14 GT500 and

go to a track and hit nearly 200mph right off the showroom floor...you spend lots of coin on such a car wouldn't want no stupid governor to

stop you from your top speed unless you go out and spend more money to tune the car and just to void the warranty...like I say many won't like

that IMO.

53 minutes ago, svtkeith said:

Now that doesn't make sense for Ford to do as Camaro and Challenger have no governor at all....wouldn't matter to me as I wouldn't track the car

but how many of these cars will be on the Texas mile and other top speed events.

Makes perfect sense if the car isn't specifically designed to go 200mph for thr safety of the driver and liability on the manufacturer. I highly doubt that the Dodge bricks and Camaros are designed for 200+mph and aren't speed-limited from the factory. 

The 2007-09 GT500 was limited to 156mph and rightly so (even though it was capable of much faster than that) because of the front end lift from the rear spoiler that made the car too light at those speeds. An aftermarket tune could remove the limit easily. 

I'm guessing that very very few cars will ever be pushed to 180mph so it won't be an issue and for the ones that do want to go faster won't have a problem with tuning it and voiding the warranty if that is the case.

Edited by Secondo

11 minutes ago, Secondo said:

Makes perfect sense if the car isn't specifically designed to go 200mph for thr safety of the driver and liability on the manufacturer. I highly doubt that the Dodge bricks and Camaros are designed for 200+mph and aren't speed-limited from the factory. 

The 2007-09 GT500 was limited to 156mph and rightly so (even though it was capable of much faster than that) because of the front end lift from the rear spoiler that made the car too light at those speeds. An aftermarket tune could remove the limit easily. 

I'm guessing that very very few cars will ever be pushed to 180mph so it won't be an issue and for the ones that do want to go faster won't have a problem with tuning it and voiding the warranty if that is the case.

Sorry dude the Dodge bricks already surpassed 200mph....Check the Chargers top speed...Challenger is 199mph...The Camaro is around 185mph

but not because it's electronically limited.....Yes that's what I said not many will exceed or come close to the cars top speed BUT like I said again

there are many people running these cars on 1 mile courses and those guys care if it's limited or not......I tried my ZR1's top speed only once but

at least it was only limited by it's power/aerodynamics not some dumb limiter...I know if I buy one I don't want no limiter on it even though I won't

try it unless I'm near a place like the Texas mile or equivalent track.

Thanks for posting!    Very Cool info!!:thumbsup:                                     Later!               "GOOSE"     :peelout:

On 3/13/2019 at 9:54 AM, svtkeith said:

23 hours ago, svtkeith said:

Sorry dude the Dodge bricks already surpassed 200mph....Check the Chargers top speed...Challenger is 199mph...The Camaro is around 185mph

but not because it's electronically limited.....Yes that's what I said not many will exceed or come close to the cars top speed BUT like I said again

there are many people running these cars on 1 mile courses and those guys care if it's limited or not......I tried my ZR1's top speed only once but

at least it was only limited by it's power/aerodynamics not some dumb limiter...I know if I buy one I don't want no limiter on it even though I won't

try it unless I'm near a place like the Texas mile or equivalent track.

On 3/13/2019 at 9:54 AM, svtkeith said:

On 3/13/2019 at 9:28 AM, Secondo said:

Easily fixed with a performance tune.

Speed limiters have a number of reasons for existing but in the case of the GT500 it is put in place to maximize the overall performance of the vehicle. That may sound counter intuitive to people who simplistically think that performance is defined by a top speed. You have to look at the car as a whole. The base GT500 is targeted at the drag strip crowd. The “track package” version of the new GT500 is designed for the guys who want speed around a track to get low lap times. There isn tmuch difference going from 50 to 75, or from 75 to 100, or even 100 to 125……..but when you go from 175 to 200 that is a big leap in terms what is required of the aero and horsepower on a car.

Most stock 2013/14 gt500s ran in the 11 to 12 second range with top speeds of 120 to 130 mph. The new base stock 2020 GT500 will probably be a little faster but it isn’t going to do anywhere near 180, so again the engineers want the car most aerodynamically efficient and planted below 180 to reduce drag strip time slips.

So then the weak argument is….. well,  what if I want to do 180 plus at the drag strip?......

Unless you go twin turbo and go up to ridiculous 2000+ hp plus specialized drag cars that do 7s and top speeds of 200+ you have already spent tens of thousands of dollars and  modified the hell out of the car engine wise  and aerodynamically so a speed limiter is long gone anyway.

In regard to the track package version. Most people weekend warrior tracking their GT500 track package cars in the American Circuits will not see top speeds in excess of 180 and they want the car planted well for cornering to reduce lap times. If they designed the car to be stable at 200 mph+ it would not be planted as well in corners for a track and would not be as aerodynamically efficient. Thats the tradeoff. Again of you want to get in to the 200 mph track time then you are talking spending huge dollars on hp adders and aero anyway and again the speedlimter is long gone anyway.

Ford knows thier market well and they realize way more people are going to drag race and track their car……… and those drivers could care less about a “top speed”. They want low drag time slips and low lap times.

For the few that want to go out and try join the 200 mph club, They are just going to do a quick tune to eliminate the speed limiter. It’s a tune, its not rocket surgery. People who want to go 200+ mph are going to find a way to do it, and Ford for the time being is going to let you do that on your own dime and at your own risk. They aren’t going to lose any business because of it.

All the argument that Dodge does this, or GM does that, doesn’t mean squat and it also doesn’t mean Ford has to “answer” it. Dodge and GM keep fighting imaginary “horsepower wars” or imaginary “top speed battles”….meanwhile Ford focuses on it market and provides purpose built performance vehicles based on that data………….if some people think Ford is so “wrong” in doing so, then they need to ask themselves “Why does the Mustang keep outselling the Challenger and Camaro combined?”………...

11 minutes ago, mhr1961 said:

Speed limiters have a number of reasons for existing but in the case of the GT500 it is put in place to maximize the overall performance of the vehicle. That may sound counter intuitive to people who simplistically think that performance is defined by a top speed. You have to look at the car as a whole. The base GT500 is targeted at the drag strip crowd. The “track package” version of the new GT500 is designed for the guys who want speed around a track to get low lap times. There isn tmuch difference going from 50 to 75, or from 75 to 100, or even 100 to 125……..but when you go from 175 to 200 that is a big leap in terms what is required of the aero and horsepower on a car.

Most stock 2013/14 gt500s ran in the 11 to 12 second range with top speeds of 120 to 130 mph. The new base stock 2020 GT500 will probably be a little faster but it isn’t going to do anywhere near 180, so again the engineers want the car most aerodynamically efficient and planted below 180 to reduce drag strip time slips.

So then the weak argument is….. well,  what if I want to do 180 plus at the drag strip?......

Unless you go twin turbo and go up to ridiculous 2000+ hp plus specialized drag cars that do 7s and top speeds of 200+ you have already spent tens of thousands of dollars and  modified the hell out of the car engine wise  and aerodynamically so a speed limiter is long gone anyway.

In regard to the track package version. Most people weekend warrior tracking their GT500 track package cars in the American Circuits will not see top speeds in excess of 180 and they want the car planted well for cornering to reduce lap times. If they designed the car to be stable at 200 mph+ it would not be planted as well in corners for a track and would not be as aerodynamically efficient. Thats the tradeoff. Again of you want to get in to the 200 mph track time then you are talking spending huge dollars on hp adders and aero anyway and again the speedlimter is long gone anyway.

Ford knows thier market well and they realize way more people are going to drag race and track their car……… and those drivers could care less about a “top speed”. They want low drag time slips and low lap times.

For the few that want to go out and try join the 200 mph club, They are just going to do a quick tune to eliminate the speed limiter. It’s a tune, its not rocket surgery. People who want to go 200+ mph are going to find a way to do it, and Ford for the time being is going to let you do that on your own dime and at your own risk. They aren’t going to lose any business because of it.

All the argument that Dodge does this, or GM does that, doesn’t mean squat and it also doesn’t mean Ford has to “answer” it. Dodge and GM keep fighting imaginary “horsepower wars” or imaginary “top speed battles”….meanwhile Ford focuses on it market and provides purpose built performance vehicles based on that data………….if some people think Ford is so “wrong” in doing so, then they need to ask themselves “Why does the Mustang keep outselling the Challenger and Camaro combined?”………...

:yup:

+1 Exactly what the article said, but not as concise as your explanation best applied here on a forum. Ford wanted to focus on the track and drag use of the car, not the "200-plus top-speed" which would have taken efforts away from the focused intended use of the car.

And for those few who want to do the top speed thing, they can easily install a custom tune on their own responsibility and go at it. I'm sure the car can do 215+mph with that amount of power and aero. 

:thumbsup:

On 2/28/2019 at 8:18 AM, SAI-Steven said:

Just in case anyone isn't catching on I'm just giving QSS a hard time in jest and have no problem with someone wanting to row their own gears.

Now here is something for everyone to ponder, have you ever seen a manual transmission electric car?  If you are a die-hard m/trans person you may  just want to stash away your m/trans car as who knows what the future holds. 

Steve

Agreed.  The future in not just all electric but AI controlled etc.  I get it, it makes sense for 99% of all the drivers in the world.

Seems to me that if you bought a Shelby, any Shelby, you are after something else.  You like the loud noise, the firm suspension, seats and tight/firm ride.  You paid your $1500 gas guzzler tax, not because it makes ANY financial sense, but because driving makes you feel alive.

I don't think that having an auto makes this any LESS than having a manual, but having BOTH makes a whole lot of sense to me.  These cars, the GT350 and the GT500, are amazing and for a very select audience.  It does make a lot of sense to offer a 6 speed manual on the GT500 for those who want it (as long as it pencils out from a profitability standpoint - even if that is just near break even) so I certainly hope Ford does it in the future.

I can't even realistically use the power in my 2018 GT350, so not really looking for a more powerful option, but if I did... I think a manual would make the experience a good 25% better.

My 2cents.  Cool forum, I like it.  

About the gas guzzler tax, since Ford has not released any test numbers on mileage, I wonder if it will assessed.  Maybe theere is another reason for the seven speed auto as a way to get the better mpg numbers.  Thoughts?:cool: