TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Had some issues - anyone had this happen?

This afternoon I met with 2 other forum members for dinner. On our way to dinner my car started doing something it has never done before. I was stopped and as I let off the clutch we heard like a pop and the tach needle dropped to 0 and the enginge began revving at high rpms until I had to shut it down. I would restart the car and everything seemed fine. After a few miles we were stopped at another light and when it turned green I started to let out the clutch and wham she did the same thing again. If I did not shut it off I think it would have probably continued to rev higher and eventualy blow. We went to dinner and when we came back out the problem would not come back. Decided to drive it home and play it by ear. Anyone have a clue?

Mark

P.S.Here are a few pics of afternoon. 1Badshow's red one. Coiled1 (Jim Wilson) white and my black.

3shelbys070807.jpg

3shelbys070807.jpg

This afternoon I met with 2 other forum members for dinner. On our way to dinner my car started doing something it has never done before. I was stopped and as I let off the clutch we heard like a pop and the tach needle dropped to 0 and the enginge began revving at high rpms until I had to shut it down. I would restart the car and everything seemed fine. After a few miles we were stopped at another light and when it turned green I started to let out the clutch and wham she did the same thing again. If I did not shut it off I think it would have probably continued to rev higher and eventualy blow. We went to dinner and when we came back out the problem would not come back. Decided to drive it home and play it by ear. Anyone have a clue?

Mark

P.S.Here are a few pics of afternoon. 1Badshow's red one. Coiled1 (Jim Wilson) white and my black.

post-8214-1183944002_thumb.jpg

My first guess would be a faulty throttle position sensor; even though it wouldn't explain the pop unless it was a manifold backfire (like you get when using nitrous) caused by bad timing/fuel due to the faulty sensor. The throttle gears on the stock throttle body are made of plastic (I know because I switched my whole intake to the KB setup), so it could also be that one or a few of the teeth are stripped, also giving false readings to the computer relative to throttle position. Hopefully it's just a program glitch that will be cleaned up by the adaptive driving capability of the management system program. Otherwise, I would be very cautious while driving in case this issue pops up during cruising speeds.

Regards,

Joseph (FordGeek)

Mark

Boy, I don't like hearing that. Keep us posted what you find out.

HSURB

Mark

THAY ARE WET!!!!!! :hysterical2:

Thanks for the ideas/suggestions. The car is bone stock with no mods unless you consider a Cobra valve stem a mod. As far as the popping at the start it could have been tranny and it was almost like the clutch popped. What was really odd is the tach nose diving to 0 and the engine revving like it was floored?

I will keep you posted. I hate to take it to the dealer but sometimes you have to let go...

thats something I didnt think about ... the TPS sensor.

But with the tach going to ZERO and might indicate a faulty CPS sensor .. if it fails ... the tach is killed immediatly and normally the engine dies as well.

Mark .. if the clutch didnt feel different when this happened ... it does sound more eletronic than anything else.

Keep me posted and sure enjoyed your company and everyone elses too !

Thanks for the ideas/suggestions. The car is bone stock with no mods unless you consider a Cobra valve stem a mod. As far as the popping at the start it could have been tranny and it was almost like the clutch popped. What was really odd is the tach nose diving to 0 and the engine revving like it was floored?

I will keep you posted. I hate to take it to the dealer but sometimes you have to let go...

Camp your dealers door step and get it fixed

I am going to take it out later this afternoon and see if I can duplicate the erro. AD I do not have access to error codes.

If You had a code set then the check engine lite would come on.

The dealer will have to be able to duplicate the problem before they can fix it.

Have you checked all You're electrical connections maybe one came loose.

Maybe if you don't find a lose one then start the car and gently wiggle the wires on the throttle position sensor and see what happens.

Mark

Cool picture!

Mark

Just a quick thought. Check your MAF Sensor Connector where it plugs in to the MAF meter. there is a plastic clip that must be pulled prior to releasing the connector, if this is accidentally pushed in when it is installed it will make a bad connection that can cause your symptoms as well as a over-rev and Limp mode problem.

Hope this helps.

post-8247-1184114621_thumb.jpg

post-8247-1184114516_thumb.jpg

post-8247-1184114516_thumb.jpg

post-8247-1184114621_thumb.jpg

Archived