TEAM SHELBY FORUM

ambient air temperature sensor

Cobra37

My outside air temperature is stuck at 50 degrees.  Occasionally, in really cold weather it will go to 20 degrees, but after I start the car, it returns to 50.  I have read in other searches, that it can be reset, replacing the sensor won't fix the problem, and Ford is no help.  Any ideas? 

The instructions say to hold the on/off button on the SYNC radio while holding in the fast forward button, then drive the car above 20 MPH.

We just tried it again, with the car rolling at 25+ MPH and still Don't Work.  Next step is to clean the contacts on the plug for the sensor and try again.

Pulled the lower valance and found the sensor with a crack down the side and it was wrapped with electrical tape to hold it together.  Ordered a new new one and was plugging it in when I noticed the plug was broken.  Ordered a new plug and wire set from Rock Auto, going to install what I have.  Wrapped the whole thing up with three layers of tape.  Now I'm trying to find out where it's suppose to mount.  Anyone have a schematic of the location of one of these?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I've tried all the above suggestions, plus replaced the sensor.  I've disconnected the battery, first for ten seconds, then for an hour.  Was told I didn't remove power from the system for long enough.  That's why I pulled the plug for an hour.  Still does not work.  Reads 50 all the time.  Had a weird thing the other day, rainy cold day and temp went to -10, 30, 40 ad finally stuck on 50 again.  My Ford dealer in this little farm town of Brenham, gives me a deer in the headlight look when I ask the service manager.

Any one have any ideas what will work?

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got my ambient air temperature to work.  Quite by accident.  I hit a piece of trash on the highway late on night and put a gash in my front spoiler.  I ordered a new one and as I removed the old one, I noticed one of the wires were crimped.  Basically the wires were pinched and almost cut completely through.  That's why the read out in the dash would give out crazy numbers when it was raining and the car was underway.  I rerouted the repaired wires and and my temperature gauge works perfectly.  I didn't have to reset anything.  So if your temperature gauge doesn't work, check the wires.