TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Things to look out for

Okay so I am about to store the car for the winter and just clocked over 100k miles. I bought the car at 92k miles and I am wondering if there are things I should check and what I should be expecting to be prepared for. Off the top of my head the only issue I am looking into over the winter is a light tick at idle coming from the passenger side engine area. Replaced solenoids and did timing chain. Not sure what it could be at this point. We checked cams and all of that is fine. Not sure what else to look for at this point.

Ticking sounds have ALWAYS been an issue with the engine. Both my 2005 GT and my SGT did it.  I thought there was a TSB but seems not. Do a search for ticking. As for storage I’ve never done anything special. Fill up with good gas. Get a trickle charger. Start car every week to move tires around. Should be fine! Good luck!

3 hours ago, JeffIsHereToo said:

Ticking sounds have ALWAYS been an issue with the engine. Both my 2005 GT and my SGT did it.  I thought there was a TSB but seems not. Do a search for ticking. As for storage I’ve never done anything special. Fill up with good gas. Get a trickle charger. Start car every week to move tires around. Should be fine! Good luck!

+1. I also add Seafoam to the gas.

I've been storing my cars for a long winter's nap for a lot of years, and Sea-Foam is a excellent product to use for a number of things!     Also, I some times use Sta_Bil fuel-stabilizer, usually it recommends  1 ounce for every 2.5 gallons of gas.   To store the car I put the Staff-bil in and then fill it up with Premium, and I also pump up the tires between 10 and 15 lbs. more for storage and prevent flat-spotting.    Then I make sure I get the car hot and up to it's normal running temp. to get out any moisture in my oil and also in the exhaust pipes!   Then I back it in the garage over plastic and wood over a cement floor, then when your done put a trickle charger on the battery!   It works for me every year!      Good luck with your car!:thumbsup:

"MONGOOSE"                 :peelout:

Be sure and air the tires up to at least 42psi....helps greatly with stopping flat spotting. 

Edit- Along with what Jeff said, move the car each time you start it up about 6” to a new “resting spot”.  That and the 42psi helps a lot! 

Edited by BIKEBOY