TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Buying a Shelby Raptor in Washington

sumomike

First let me say that I love Shelby and what they stand for which is why I hope you can help me resolve this.

Like many I always dreamed of having a Shelby one day.  When I saw Shelby Raptor I was in love.  You see my wife always wanted a truck, but I wanted a Mustang.  The Shelby Raptor was the best of both worlds.  So I saved and saved to finally make a purchase…  Like many I choose to purchase from what I thought was a reputable Ford dealer in my city,  Bill Pierre Ford in Seattle.   There was nothing unusual about the purchase,  they had about 4-5 to choose from.  We selected the color we liked and purchased my dream car,  Shelby Raptor.

I don’t know why I didn’t look under the hood at the dealership.  Maybe because it was raining that day or maybe I believed all the Shelby Raptors included the same upgrades.  Pick the color and Ford options and I should be set, right?  Well, not right.  I take it home and look under the hood and notice no Shelby Intake.  I was confused, was it left off, is there some parts in the bed I didn’t see?  Nope, nothing.  Somehow I purchased a Shelby Raptor without any performance upgrades.  Yes, you read correctly, I bought a Shelby Raptor in all its glory without its heart.  It was not 525 HP as advertised.  It didn’t have the famous Shelby Cold Intake, no Ecoboost upgrade, No performance tune! nothing.  The engine was stock, I am devastated. 

How can you make a Shelby Raptor without the performance upgrades and still call it a Shelby?  Even the MSRP was exactly the same so why would I or anyone suspect this Raptor of anything other than being an awesome kick ass Shelby Raptor.  So I was duped by the dealer who didn’t disclose and let down by Shelby putting out a Shelby Raptor which was not a Shelby Raptor.  I couldn’t imagine this happening with Mustang or any other vehicle.

I write to you because I hope you can help me resolve this.  I would like my Shelby Raptor to be a real Shelby with the performance upgrades.  I also ask you not to let anyone one else experience this trama, please dont put out any more like this.

CSM 18SR0318

Thanks,

Michael

Edited by sumomike
changed the title to be more representative

4 hours ago, sumomike said:

First let me say that I love Shelby and what they stand for which is why I hope you can help me resolve this.

Like many I always dreamed of having a Shelby one day.  When I saw Shelby Raptor I was in love.  You see my wife always wanted a truck, but I wanted a Mustang.  The Shelby Raptor was the best of both worlds.  So I saved and saved to finally make a purchase…  Like many I choose to purchase from what I thought was a reputable Ford dealer in my city,  Bill Pierre Ford in Seattle.   There was nothing unusual about the purchase,  they had about 4-5 to choose from.  We selected the color we liked and purchased my dream car,  Shelby Raptor.

I don’t know why I didn’t look under the hood at the dealership.  Maybe because it was raining that day or maybe I believed all the Shelby Raptors included the same upgrades.  Pick the color and Ford options and I should be set, right?  Well, not right.  I take it home and look under the hood and notice no Shelby Intake.  I was confused, was it left off, is there some parts in the bed I didn’t see?  Nope, nothing.  Somehow I purchased a Shelby Raptor without any performance upgrades.  Yes, you read correctly, I bought a Shelby Raptor in all its glory without its heart.  It was not 525 HP as advertised.  It didn’t have the famous Shelby Cold Intake, no Ecoboost upgrade, No performance tune! nothing.  The engine was stock, I am devastated. 

How can you make a Shelby Raptor without the performance upgrades and still call it a Shelby?  Even the MSRP was exactly the same so why would I or anyone suspect this Raptor of anything other than being an awesome kick ass Shelby Raptor.  So I was duped by the dealer who didn’t disclose and let down by Shelby putting out a Shelby Raptor which was not a Shelby Raptor.  I couldn’t imagine this happening with Mustang or any other vehicle.

I write to you because I hope you can help me resolve this.  I would like my Shelby Raptor to be a real Shelby with the performance upgrades.  I also ask you not to let anyone one else experience this trama, please dont put out any more like this.

CSM 18SR0318

Thanks,

Michael

First off Welcome to Team Shelby.  How long ago since the purchase?  Make the dealer unwind the deal.  I've got two family members in the high end car business and Im telling you it happens all the time.  Once the taxes are paid by the dealer to the state the deal is done though.  I dont see this as Shelbys fault or the dealers.  You can order a Raptor or Mustang anyway you or the dealer wants it.    Sorry that happen to you but you should have looked closer at what your dropped a ton of money on.   Hope you get it resolved.   

I'm not sure what you mean by "unwind the deal". In the state of Washington there is no buyers remorse policy like they have in California. 

I see my error for not doing my due diligence. Can't say more about this and as they say hindsight is 20/20.

If what you say is true, this happens all the time in high end cars, it might be, but i have a hard time believing this happens all the time buying a new Shelby from a Ford dealership. 

The online brochure is misleading at best, based on the second paragraph.  It should say optional if that's the case.

"The Shelby Raptor has returned and it is all business. Now available on the stronger, lighter and more nimble 2017-2018 platform, Shelby American turns the capable machine into an extreme off-roader with key enhancements to the truck’s suspension, power and styling. Under the hood, the Shelby Raptor has a custom cold-air performance intake system and tune, feeding the Ford Performance EcoBoost engine. This gives the twin-turbo V-6 an amazing 525+ horsepower and an astonishing 610+ foot pounds of torque."

Depending on how long you’ve had it, speak to the dealer GM. Speak to the dealers Ford rep.   I’m sure you’re not familiar with that term “unwind the deal” un less you’ve been around the car business. I can assure you the dealer knows what were talking about. 

On 11/11/2018 at 1:38 AM, sumomike said:

CSM 18SR0318

Thanks,

Michael

Mike,

Congratulations on your Shelby Raptor purchase. It appears that you dealt with a dealership salesperson who did not explain the "selling process" for a green State vehicle, yes Washington State is a green state that follows California's lead when it comes to performance vehicles.

Washington State does not allow the Shelby Raptor to be sold with those performance parts pre-installed, they are installed after the purchase as a post-title mod. Your window sticker (aka Monroney label) has an asterisk next to those parts stating that they are post title.

So the good news is that you were not shorted anything as those performance parts were shipped with your truck and are waiting to be installed by the dealerships service department.

Please reach out to your dealerships sales manager to schedule the installation. If you encounter any problems please reach out to our dealer liaison here at Shelby American who is Mike Lambert 702-942-7325

Steve

4 hours ago, SAI-Steven said:

Mike,

Congratulations on your Shelby Raptor purchase. It appears that you dealt with a dealership salesperson who did not explain the "selling process" for a green State vehicle, yes Washington State is a green state that follows California's lead when it comes to performance vehicles.

Washington State does not allow the Shelby Raptor to be sold with those performance parts pre-installed, they are installed after the purchase as a post-title mod. Your window sticker (aka Monroney label) has an asterisk next to those parts stating that they are post title.

So the good news is that you were not shorted anything as those performance parts were shipped with your truck and are waiting to be installed by the dealerships service department.

Please reach out to your dealerships sales manager to schedule the installation. If you encounter any problems please reach out to our dealer liaison here at Shelby American who is Mike Lambert 702-942-7325

Steve

Hi Steve,

Our replies just crossed paths, I was replied to your previous post just now.  

Great News, you are correct, the dealership didn't mention anything about this and I felt as if I didn't call and say something they would not have said anything, hence the feeling I was in for a problem.   As I said, I am glad to get this resolved and if it was all a big misunderstanding in the end at least others may learn from it and avoid such mistake in the future. 

Thanks,

Michael

Edited by sumomike
Typo

• 6 months later...

I have a same problem with my Shelby raptor .  I bought two month ago from port orchard ford dealer and I just noticed that performance  kit was not installed  went my son in-law check the engine . 

If some one have any suggestion .  

Thank you

s santoso

Edited by Susilo santoso. (Jim)

On 5/26/2019 at 11:11 AM, Susilo santoso. (Jim) said:

I have a same problem with my Shelby raptor .  I bought two month ago from port orchard ford dealer and I just noticed that performance  kit was not installed  went my son in-law check the engine . 

If some one have any suggestion .  

Thank you

s santoso

You'll need to reach out to the dealership and inquire why they did not schedule a service appointment when you purchased the truck so that the performance parts could be installed.

Washington State prohibits the installation of the performance kit until after the initial retail sale of the truck.

Steven

Hi steve

thank you for your responded my  problem ,  my son in-law Derek farmer was contacted the Bruce Titus ford and also emailed to Shelby manager ERIC BROWN regarding this problem . From they conversation look like the Dealer was wash his hand  he doesn’t want to do , anything any more . I am really disappointed ,  

is really hard dealing with the dealer when you already bought the car .  The reason I bought the Shelby raptor is the performance power of the engine not the label .

sorry Steve I just wondering maybe you have another way to solve this problem .  Thank you Steve.

s santoso

Edited by Susilo santoso. (Jim)

On 6/1/2019 at 9:38 PM, Susilo santoso. (Jim) said:

Hi steve

thank you for your responded my  problem ,  my son in-law Derek farmer was contacted the Bruce Titus ford and also emailed to Shelby manager ERIC BROWN regarding this problem . From they conversation look like the Dealer was wash his hand  he doesn’t want to do , anything any more . I am really disappointed ,  

is really hard dealing with the dealer when you already bought the car .  The reason I bought the Shelby raptor is the performance power of the engine not the label .

sorry Steve I just wondering maybe you have another way to solve this problem .  Thank you Steve.

s santoso

The dealership can not legally "wash his hands" on this. I would suggest that you reach out to the general manager of the dealership, just call the dealership and ask the phone receptionist who the GM of the dealership is and then ask to speak with that person.

If that doesn't get you a resolution then I would suggest calling Mike L. here at Shelby American, 702-942-7325 . Mike is the dealership liaison between Tuscany & Shelby American and will be able to get you in touch with someone at Tuscany Automotive.

Keep in mind that your Shelby Raptor was not built by Shelby American here in Nevada. Your Shelby Raptor was built under license by a company named Tuscany Automotive who are located in Elkhart Indiana. It would be Tuscany that will need to apply the pressure to your dealership if they are unwilling to resolve your situation.

Steven

• 2 months later...

That is why it is important to always run a Carfax (or a free alternative) and bring a trusted mechanic with you to inspect any prospective car before purchasing. These days, scammers will try their best to hide any defects with a car just to ensure a sale. 

Here is to hoping that the OP was able to resolve this issue. 

6 hours ago, Kelly Jean said:

That is why it is important to always run a Carfax (or a free alternative) and bring a trusted mechanic with you to inspect any prospective car before purchasing. These days, scammers will try their best to hide any defects with a car just to ensure a sale. 

Here is to hoping that the OP was able to resolve this issue. 

If you read the post you will see that this is not what you describe.  The dealership neglected to complete a process. The owner has to contact the dealer to get all of the parts involved installed.  There is no scam. Just a misunderstanding.