Jump to content
TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Mods for Racing


Recommended Posts

 

Checking to see if anyone who owns a 07-09 Shelby GT or owners of the early Terlingua's 05-09 don't hold me to the year they started just can't remember anyway, if you race your Shelby GT or Terlingua or did I want to know if you changed your front bumper cover to add a Splitter or just added a front Splitter to existing lower valance and if you changed the rear Diffuser which Company did you use and did you actually notice a difference on track?

Basically same question for rear decklid Spoiler? Some of these events whether Optima series or Goodguys they have a height limit on the decklid Spoiler 

After my arm surgery I plan to run some Autocross events and Track events in 2019 and looking to add these parts that actually function and not just for looking pretty. All the Manufacturers seem to have forgotten the 05-09 Mustangs and only focusing on the 15-present Mustangs and a couple ones who make quality parts like Anderson Composites and TruFiber may offer a Hood and that's it. I do know about APR Racing just asking if anyone has used anyone else?

As for Wheels I will have to use a new set for Racing as the AR Razor's are too soft and don't want to ruin them. Has anyone used any of the New Shelby Wheels to race with? Yes, I can add Forgeline like many of those racers I just like to use Shelby parts when applicable. 

Also, has anyone on their Shelby GT changed your front fenders to TruFiber's GT350 style wheel and if so can you post some pictures?

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just my 2 cents but I have tracked my 2008 SGT since I bought it in October 2007.  It depends on what type of racing you are going to do.  The best money you can spend, and to do it right you will spend some money is on brakes.  I have AP Racing all around.  Below are the front brakes.  After that, I would add a Watts Link.  I did a Fays brand.  Then I would think about adding power but power comes after stopping ability and handling ability.  Splitters, diffusers, carbon fiber items and super light wheels, while they have their place, are not usually going to make much difference when tracking your car at what I will call the weekend racer level (which is me).  In the end, it is your car.  Others will weigh in with their opinions and they have years and years of different experiences tracking their cars so you will find their posts valuable.  Jim

image.png.8765dc532a97aa1725329ef68f662f5c.png

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have the APR functional front splitter that was designed for our front end (Shelby GT/ Cal Special). Very solid piece.  The link shows pics on a Shelby GT from a forum member that used to post here.  I had to remove mine temporarily to modify it slightly. It covers up underneath the front end (about even with the back edge of the forward part of the fender) as it should to be functional. Unfortunately it covers the area my filter is since I have a KB SC. I plan on modifying that area somewhat to allow the air to get back to the filter then re-install it.

https://www.octanemotorsports.com/2005-2009-ford-mustang-shelby-gtcalifornia-special-apr-carbon-fiber-front-splitter-with-rods-p-171782.html?gclid=CjwKCAiAt4rfBRBKEiwAC678KV6qHrV9tV7i5OMhs8eVUZ2e4f8qqEUFe-IkU4GSGYCeOLlpiN7Z5hoCteEQAvD_BwE

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎11‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 5:18 AM, clark17357 said:

Just my 2 cents but I have tracked my 2008 SGT since I bought it in October 2007.  It depends on what type of racing you are going to do.  The best money you can spend, and to do it right you will spend some money is on brakes.  I have AP Racing all around.  Below are the front brakes.  After that, I would add a Watts Link.  I did a Fays brand.  Then I would think about adding power but power comes after stopping ability and handling ability.  Splitters, diffusers, carbon fiber items and super light wheels, while they have their place, are not usually going to make much difference when tracking your car at what I will call the weekend racer level (which is me).  In the end, it is your car.  Others will weigh in with their opinions and they have years and years of different experiences tracking their cars so you will find their posts valuable.  Jim

image.png.8765dc532a97aa1725329ef68f662f5c.png

 

You make a lot of sense I appreciate the blunt 'weekend racer' comment and is kind of info. I am looking for. My 08 GT/SC came with 6-piston Baer Claw's up front and have the same in the rear as got them when SAI had a big parts sale. Car is equipped with Griggs Racing Super Street suspension and going to add some of his Track suspension to it, but I am looking to upgrade the coil-overs that have more tuning ability than the Koni's. The Wheels though I have to change when I am racing as the Razors are just too soft which a couple of Shelby GT owners found out so their bad luck is my gain. My Razors are 20's and I do not know if this is true but I been told our 07-09 Shelby GT's on track handle far better with 19's even 18's so that I am unsure of?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You will get many opinions on wheel size.  I do not see 20" as a good option for the track.  I prefer 18's but I could see where 19's might be good.

Anything from Griggs is top notch so you are good there.

I have Tokics on my car for shocks.  I was won over by a fellow SGT owner at the Terlingua high speed run in Texas who showed me that, when you crank them all the way down (as you would at the track), the car reacts very well in terms of body roll/lean. 

Using Tokicos, I was able to take my SGT to 172 mph at Terlingua.  The car was rock steady even at that speed.

If you have not been to Terlingua, you should make a point to get there (early October every year).  Where else will the Sheriff of Brewster County (or any other County) close down 10 miles of public highway and let all of us take our cars to top speed?

 

image.png.143c247fef2b94720b12e456fece4abb.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/7/2018 at 3:04 AM, 39Mustang said:

 

Checking to see if anyone who owns a 07-09 Shelby GT or owners of the early Terlingua's 05-09 don't hold me to the year they started just can't remember anyway, if you race your Shelby GT or Terlingua or did I want to know if you changed your front bumper cover to add a Splitter or just added a front Splitter to existing lower valance and if you changed the rear Diffuser which Company did you use and did you actually notice a difference on track?

Basically same question for rear decklid Spoiler? Some of these events whether Optima series or Goodguys they have a height limit on the decklid Spoiler 

After my arm surgery I plan to run some Autocross events and Track events in 2019 and looking to add these parts that actually function and not just for looking pretty. All the Manufacturers seem to have forgotten the 05-09 Mustangs and only focusing on the 15-present Mustangs and a couple ones who make quality parts like Anderson Composites and TruFiber may offer a Hood and that's it. I do know about APR Racing just asking if anyone has used anyone else?

As for Wheels I will have to use a new set for Racing as the AR Razor's are too soft and don't want to ruin them. Has anyone used any of the New Shelby Wheels to race with? Yes, I can add Forgeline like many of those racers I just like to use Shelby parts when applicable. 

Also, has anyone on their Shelby GT changed your front fenders to TruFiber's GT350 style wheel and if so can you post some pictures?

 

Apex makes a great wheel for SN197s. Brakes are a must. Flush brake fluids with a good dot 4 as well. Not sure of your experience level but if your new, skip the splitter for now and mod the driver. splitter wont do a lot on autocross. Dont buy anything bigger then an 18 inch wheel. Lots of tire choices and they weigh less then a 19 or 20. Bigger wheels for that car would be a mistake. Even the GT4 cars run 18s

 

 

 

Edited by svttim
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, 39Mustang said:

I have Baer Claw Extreme at all four's so any issue with 18's fitting with those calipers?

You may have issues.  It was with the rear brakes (AP acing) on my car that I ran into wheels that would not fit.  But that was because the rear wheel were wider than the fronts and the offset is what caused the problem.  If you have the same offset for front and back wheels and they fit over the front brakes, the rears should not be a problem.

 

Jim

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, 39Mustang said:

I have Baer Claw Extreme at all four's so any issue with 18's fitting with those calipers?

If you have issues, pick yourself up a set of 2007-2009 GT500 18"'s they will clear I am running these will big Wilwoods front and back with MPSS on them

available in silver or  hard to find black

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/FMS-M-1007-S1895/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...
...