TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Goodyear eagles.

660driver

So i found a set of NOS goodyear eagles made for the kr's. My question is do you guys think it would be worth it to buy and store just to have? Since they were made for the kr's i thought it would be neat to have a brand new set to go with all the other original stuff such as the window sticker etc. It still has the factory tires on it yet but we are gonna replace em.

Verify the date codes.  Nothing more than about 1 year old.  But if you're going to leave (the probably dated) original tires and just store these, then you're just adding to the age of already dated tires.     Don't build a stock of disposables.  The car is already "out of the wrapper" so will not increase in value from storage.   Just drive it.

Edited by twobjshelbys

51 minutes ago, twobjshelbys said:

Verify the date codes.  Nothing more than about 1 year old.  But if you're going to leave (the probably dated) original tires and just store these, then you're just adding to the age of already dated tires.     Don't build a stock of disposables.  The car is already "out of the wrapper" so will not increase in value from storage.   Just drive it.

like that thought, does one save the original wiper blades, oil filter, etc...

not a collector so have no experience in this matter just like that quote

Thanks for replies thus far guys. Yall make some valid points. That being said from what i understand these goodyear eagles were built specifically with the gt500 kr's in mind then discontinued right? Thats the only reason i thought there might be some collectability in adding to the car itself. I wasnt speaking of like wiper blades n those kinds of things. Twobjshelbys i agree with your statement and was just thinking it might be neat however i have no clue how i would preserve em. Weve had the tire preservation discussion on an International harvester collectors forum im on. No good methods were discovered. A lot of collector tractors sit and the tires eventually become too weatherchecked to be useable.

2 hours ago, oldlugs said:

They’re only worth having on a show car but as others have said. - old rubber just won’t be safe (or work very well) if you push the car at all. I also think they weren’t the best tires available, even when fresh and new.

Thats good to know too. They dont seem to hook real well especially when cold. I dont run it WoT but i do get on it enough to break traction with these eagles on. They seem to flatspot after only a week of sitting as well. Love supercharger whine but it usually means your headed a little sideways.

51 minutes ago, 660driver said:

Thats good to know too. They dont seem to hook real well especially when cold. I dont run it WoT but i do get on it enough to break traction with these eagles on. They seem to flatspot after only a week of sitting as well. Love supercharger whine but it usually means your headed a little sideways.

The NOS tires won't fix that as they are just as old and the same hockey pucks when cold.  There are many topics here about replacements (and the best in class changes as the manufacturers come up with better solutions.)  I think the latest recommendations were the Michelins.  The tires were basically the same family as on the Ford GT and we use Bridgestone Potenzas and they are a superb tire but I don't think they are available in Mustang sizes.

10 hours ago, summerrodeo said:

as most KRs don‘t have a lot of miles on them, my advice is to take the original set of wheels off the car as the old tires are not safe any more and store this set for the future. Buy a new set of rims and get new (better) tires for those to drive the car properly

Not a bad idea. 

Maybe if you have the space to store them, but the chances of keeping these original tires and wheels having any influence on the value of a KR that has been driven are practically nil.  Maybe in 50 years, but then the value will be for cars that are still wrapped in plastic.  Like I said, if it's got miles on it just put new tires on it, drive and enjoy it.

Most of the degradation in a tire is due to oxidation, fungus, and ultraviolet light. To avoid all that , you could go spend around $20k  to $25k on a special ASME metal pressure vessel and a vacuum system unit and a nitrogen fill system , put the tires inside the chamber and purge  all the air out of the chamber with the vacuum unit and then refill the chamber with with nitrogen. That will stop the oxidation and fungus for the most part and the ultraviolet degradation. But, in order to keep your special sooper dooper original tires in good working order,  you would need to take them out of the sealed chamber and put them on your car and run them up to operating temperature for a while once a month or so in order to make sure that all the protective additives that were infused in to the rubber compound during it manufacturing process are “worked” back and forth in to the rubber compounds in order to keep protecting them. Tires are designed to be used not stored. It is actually worse to store tires than to just use them. Get over the whole “original’ tire thing unless you plan on making your car a trailered concourse show pony 50 years from now. Go slap some decent shoes on your car and go enjoy it.

Edited by mhr1961

• 1 year later...

Yeah, digging this post up from the grave since I'm finally getting new tires for the KR. I had plans several years ago to replace them but "life" got in the way and the car hasn't been driven much since. Anyway, it's time for replacements and It's pretty much a toss up between Michelin Pilot Sports, or Continental Extreme Contact as a matched set of 4. I'm open to the idea of having one brand on the rear, and another on the front. I just want to stick with the "stock" sizes of 255/45R18 front, and 285/40/R18 rear.

I pretty much only drive the car in warmer weather and it's driven "spirited" most of the time.

Now, getting back to the original post about the factory Goodyear tires, this is what I did. I purchased a complete set (tires and rims) several years ago that are stored in my basement. My thinking was, if this car survives my ownership for several decades, I'll use those factory tires and rims just for a car show. I have no plans on ever driving on those tires and I hope to never damage a rim that now sits on my KR.