TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Auto carrier question

Matts

I just bought a 2007 Shelby GT and I'm trying to find a reputable auto carrier to ship my car from Texas to Virginia.

What are some dirt-bag companies that I need to stay away from?

Are there companies out there who tailor their prices to active duty military?

Thanks,

Wes

Whoever you decide on to use,  make sure you take pictures of your car before and during the time it is loaded up. I had a reputable carrier transport two cars for me about 1200 miles , they loaded both cars on top of the carrier, at the end of the transport they hit a low tree branch about 2 blocks from my house and tried to deny it. It did over $5k in damage . They also left big greasy stains on the interior from not taking off their gloves off while backing the cars off the trailer. The time stamped photos saved the dispute. Best of luck and welcome to Team Shelby.

Edited by mhr1961

1 hour ago, twobjshelbys said:

You don't say if you are looking for a covered trailer.  If so I've used Reliable and Intercity.  Both are excellent.  Charges for enclosed carriers will be about $1/mile. 

PS  There are lots of topics on this subject.

I'm really not picky with enclosed or open. I'm really picky when it comes to work ethic. Thanks!

Sorry, I've been away from this forum for some time now. Everything has changed.

If I might make a suggestion...Go with an enclosed carrier! Open carriers are vulnerable to rocks, sand, storms and a litany of other dangers. Most won't indemnify you from those dangers so you're on your own. There is a review site on line (been a while since I looked for it) that covers car carriers. A word of caution: Some are just consolidators/agents that farm out the work to whomever they can find. Others actually own the carriers. Stay with the owned companies.

The big carriers are great, but your car will sit until they get a load going on your desired route. I moved from Florida to Nevada in May of this year. I contacted 2 of the large carriers several months prior to the move. One never returned my calls, even though I had an online quote from them. The second national carrier did contact me and we agreed on a rate to transport the car. This was in March 2018. They stated they would pick up the car after May 1. By the end of June, my car was still sitting in Florida. The contracted carrier finally agreed they had no idea when my car would be picked up, as they did not have a load coming from Florida to the west coast. At this point I contacted the original carrier that had failed to get back to me. They also told me that they did not have a load coming from Florida to the western US and said they would not even quote me a delivery date.

I then contacted a private carrier I had followed on the Antique Automobile Club of America forum. He has a 2 car enclosed carrier. He happened to have a trip planned the same week to California. We agreed on price and he had the car to me within a week. The car arrived in perfect condition. The driver kept in contact with me along the way. His name is Jim and he hauls under the name Truly Vintage. His number is 260-804-6695. I would defiantly recommend him.

Kevin

Edited by kevin
Spelling

On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 2:51 PM, mhr1961 said:

Whoever you decide on to use,  make sure you take pictures of your car before and during the time it is loaded up. I had a reputable carrier transport two cars for me about 1200 miles , they loaded both cars on top of the carrier, at the end of the transport they hit a low tree branch about 2 blocks from my house and tried to deny it. It did over $5k in damage . They also left big greasy stains on the interior from not taking off their gloves off while backing the cars off the trailer. The time stamped photos saved the dispute. Best of luck and welcome to Team Shelby.

Try to keep these guys out of neighborhoods.  This could have been avoided if you had met the driver at a large parking area such as a Walmart lot, High School parking lot etc.  The driver will appreciate you doing this as it guarantees them an easy in/out.  Most neighborhoods are not suitable for a tractor trailer.

1 hour ago, noac said:

Try to keep these guys out of neighborhoods.  This could have been avoided if you had met the driver at a large parking area such as a Walmart lot, High School parking lot etc.  The driver will appreciate you doing this as it guarantees them an easy in/out.  Most neighborhoods are not suitable for a tractor trailer.

It wasn't a neighborhood street. It was a main road that was/is suitable for large trucks. The guy that hauled my car did not abide by the sleep schedule required for drivers and wasn't paying attention. He also didn't have a tractor trailer.  He had a heavy duty pick up truck with a fifth wheel and trailer set up.  I had offered for a parking lot drop off but he said he could deliver directly to my house with no problem.

So this is really advice on using a reputable nationwide carrier instead of some random guy with a pickup and trailer hooked up by a jobber.    Stay with recognized carriers like Intercity and Reliable and you won't regret it.   Unfortunately with the blooming of auctions the best carriers are now catering to them, so you need to plan ahead and be flexible.  I got my Ford GT from Colorado to Vegas on a week's notice with Reliable by hitching a ride with some super-secret vehicles that I was not allowed to be near as they were unloaded.   (Turned out they were Hellcats moving from high altitude testing in Colorado to desert driving in Vegas.)

Edited by twobjshelbys

The two named carriers in this thread are the ones I could not get scheduled with over several months lead time. It all depends on on their loads going in specific directions. 

My brother had used Reliable in the past, with great delivery times and perfect delivery.

Kevin

2 hours ago, twobjshelbys said:

So this is really advice on using a reputable nationwide carrier instead of some random guy with a pickup and trailer hooked up by a jobber.    Stay with recognized carriers like Intercity and Reliable and you won't regret it.   Unfortunately with the blooming of auctions the best carriers are now catering to them, so you need to plan ahead and be flexible.  I got my Ford GT from Colorado to Vegas on a week's notice with Reliable by hitching a ride with some super-secret vehicles that I was not allowed to be near as they were unloaded.   (Turned out they were Hellcats moving from high altitude testing in Colorado to desert driving in Vegas.)

It was with a reputable carrier. Reputable carriers screw up on occassion. Even with a reputable carrier my advice still stands, take pictures before and during loading. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/4/2018 at 8:02 PM, cobrakidz said:

I used Passport Transport for my Shelby.  I got the referral from the local Lexus dealer and I was very happy - enclosed, timely and afordable.

Me too!  Shipped Bruiser from N.C. to Nor Cal using Passport.  I even got to drive it off the rig, which wasn't easy being a widebody at the very front of the second level.

Any Shelby needs Auto Transport or other highend autos contact Steve at imageautogroup@gmail.com

He used to do all of SAI shipping until they hired a new employee and he used his new job to offer shipping to his buddy very low blow but he does a lot of Saleen's shipping and anytime he could not do mine he worked all day finding one who was very reliable and at great cost